Page 4 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

COVID and the college student

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Has the administration ever met a college student???

I assume you are out of state, so, doing the 14 day quarantine on campus? That adds to the top of the timeline. Plus, you are supposed to isolate for the five days between the test and move-in. We are in state. The boy is quitting his job 5 days early.
    We are in PA...but in a county with very low numbers....so we don’t have to arrive early to quarantine on campus.

Girls scheduled to move in on the 29th......so they take the at-home test on the morning of the 24th..and put it in the mail.

Yeah, they’ll have to quit summer jobs next week to begin home quarantine before taking at-home test on the 24th.

My daughter's entry into the "how long will everyone be on campus [at UVM] before it all shuts down" pool is two weeks. She's bitter because at least the first semester of her senior year is online only (UNB Fredericton). She has friends at UVM. I'm predicting that one of the Greek houses has a covid party before classes even start.

My Alma mater (UVA) just delayed the start of in person classes by 2 weeks, so classes are starting on line, going in person, and finishing online after thanksgiving. Can you imagine moving in freshman year 2 weeks into classes? Not sure it actually matters as I am sure this is just an excuse to keep pushing back the start until they announce all online. It is inevitable. All the upper class men will still go back to their off campus leases and hangout, no difference from the summer. Heck I know many people who didn't actually leave in the spring at all and continued partying as normal. Here's a little joke bingo going around the interwebs...

My old employer just went totally online after claiming they were following acomplicated hybrid model the last several months. I'm approximately 0% shocked that they did this after tuition was due.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    My old employer just went totally online after claiming they were following acomplicated hybrid model the last several months. I'm approximately 0% shocked that they did this after tuition was due.
    Mrs. Lynx easily spent a month planning for hybrid approach, creating online content that complements the in-person teaching. Last week the U prez announces hybrid approach basically means completely online. Any classroom meetings will require justification that the content cannot be delivered online. The timing and tone of the announcement certainly seem to coincide well with the tuition due date...

Reed College did a poor job of exposing their plans until after the deferment year application deadline had passed, so our son was committed by the time the plan was made public.

Their current approach is a pod based plan where students with same classes are grouped by 15s together in the dorms. Classes, dorms and mealtimes are to be managed by these groupings. Initially, they are to be quarantined in their dorm rooms for 3 days before any campus circulation occurs. Masking and social distancing required for the entire fall semester. t's unclear what will happen if an infection occurs, but it's likely that a state mandate will force the dorms to close and classes to move to an online format. If the infection rate stays low enough (?), campus interaction will continue to and end by Thanksgiving with the remainder of the year and exams all done online.

I had counseled our son to take the year off since I can't imagine either this plan or some online hybrid providing the kind of educational experience kids deserve. But he's adamant to start his career as a research physicist and we've always let our kids make their own decisions. I'm not too happy with paying the full price for this hybrid system.

My kids have been a huDge part of my life and coming to this phase where we let the fledglings go is already wrought with significant internal wringing and whinging. Having to do so in this environment with covid-19 and a complete lack of leadership or even cultural consistency for preservation makes it all the more harrowing.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

If you gotta do online classes anyway, is there ANY real reason to get butt blasted by full price uni tuition costs as opposed to just knocking out prereqs online at a community college? Seems the education would be comparable and would transfer all the same. Personally, if I were to get screwed out of the whole "college experience" then there's no way I'd be down for big University prices for freaking online classes. Then again, I had to pay my own way through school so I actually cared about the costs.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    If you gotta do online classes anyway, is there ANY real reason to get butt blasted by full price uni tuition costs
    Yes; like it or not, pedigree greatly matters in academia and business. If I could change that, I would, but that's how it works.

He's much more likely to get a fellowship or a job with a degree from an institution of respect than from a community college.

It also has a lot to do with the academic environment and not only being offered a challenging curriculum but being around other people who are likewise motivated.

Maybe there are community colleges that offer abstract algebra (groups, rings, fields, modules), complex analysis and measure theory at the sophomore level, but I don't know of any.

That said, a friend of mine from grad school did come from a community college and ended up at the Princeton Institute for Advanced Study, but he was a total Good Will Hunting maniac who loved drugs, broke into dentists office to snoof up all that he could find to be discovered by the police passed out in the dentists chair and had to be bailed out of jail by his thesis advisor for statutory rape of a 16 year old, circa 1983.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    Yes; like it or not, pedigree greatly matters in academia and business. If I could change that, I would, but that's how it works.

He's much more likely to get a fellowship or a job with a degree from an institution of respect than from a community college.

It also has a lot to do with the academic environment and not only being offered a challenging curriculum but being around other people who are likewise motivated.

Maybe there are community colleges that offer abstract algebra (groups, rings, fields, modules), complex analysis and measure theory at the sophomore level, but I don't know of any.

That said, a friend of mine from grad school did come from a community college and ended up at the Princeton Institute for Advanced Study, but he was a total Good Will Hunting maniac who loved drugs, broke into dentists office to snoof up all that he could find to be discovered by the police passed out in the dentists chair and had to be bailed out of jail by his thesis advisor for statutory rape of a 16 year old, circa 1983.
    I wasn't talking about where to finish. I get that. I was talking about where to start to knock out some basics. They usually transfer no problem to most universities in-state where you can finish up.

I wasn't talking about where to finish. I get that. I was talking about where to start to knock out some basics. They usually transfer no problem to most universities in-state where you can finish up.
    Not everyone needs remedial classes.

One of lasts weeks episodes of “In the Bubble with Andy Slavitt” was an interview with Scott Galloway specifically discussing opening universities. They discuss college costs and the current issues of tuition/income for the institution and covid.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 08-09-2020 at 12:42 AM.

Highlights from yesterday’s email:
    Before returning to campus

New requirement: All students will be required to submit a negative COVID-19 test before returning to campus.
    Students who test positive must self-isolate at home in accordance with CDC guidelines and will need to contact Student Health Service to obtain clearance prior to returning to campus.
    Students, faculty, and staff who are on campus are required to use a daily symptom checker and respond appropriately to the guidance it provides.
    Asymptomatic testing

We will initiate voluntary testing of randomly selected University faculty, staff, and students to monitor the prevalence of infection. This will help us to identify and respond quickly and decisively to any observed uptick in disease in certain areas of campus or groups. If you are selected for testing, as a public health matter, you are strongly encouraged to participate.
    Face coverings are mandatory at all times while in public spaces on our campuses, whether indoors or outdoors. Failure to follow this requirement will result in disciplinary action for students,
    Appointment-based access will be available at the Richter Library, Architecture Research Center, Weeks Music Library, and Rosenstiel Library. Capacity has been reduced to accommodate the need for physical distancing.

Ya, no.

I do think there should be a discount for online only classes from big schools.

Transfer credits are always a dicey proposition. The better the school and the harder the program, the harder it usually is to transfer from a lesser school, especially either to a big name private school or in a state that doesn't have a well coordinated public system. California, from what I have heard, probably is much better. 25 years ago, Vermont wasn't. I lost a lot of credits when I transferred from JSC to UVM. Especially regarding required classes, especially in math. Supposedly VTs system is better now, however if you are in a STEM field, most good schools seem to be reticent to give transfer credit for core and required classes. Ok, fine, what about the "fluff" credits you ask? I think those are a wash. You still can't escape the fact that core classes typically have to be taken in sequence and typically are laid out over 4 years. In the end you may not save much or anything if you have to do a fifth year, And it will mess up your loan situation. Then add a sixth year if you plan to do a co-op. Mileage is highly dependent on multiple factors, one size only fits a few, etc. And Buster is talking about Reed, so good luck getting transfer credit in your major, let alone for underwater basket weaving.

So we are rolling the dice and sending our kid to UVM on campus. He, like Buster's kid, wants get into his field. He'd be absolutely bored stiff taking fluff. And when he's bored he gets bad grades.

The kid is going back for his junior year. Quarantine on arrival (alone in your room until you have 2 negative tests in succession), masks required any time outside of your dorm suite (which has 6 students in a "pod"), all students tested twice a week, all food to-go and eat outside or in your suite. Restricted to campus for the first month, can't leave the county after that, everyone leaves at Thanksgiving and takes finals remotely. Any violations and you're immediately asked to leave, go home and attend classes remotely. Oh, and half of his classes will be remote anyway since the professor doesn't want to come to campus.

Glad they're taking it seriously but it's going to be a completely different experience. Tried to convince him to just stay home but he hated being home in the spring and wants to give it a shot.

I don't know why any kid in their right mind would go back to college and overpay for a watered-down experience right now. Take the year off, do something creative, and go back next fall. These requirements and online "directives" are all a giant shit-show waiting to happen.

Cool. Are you 21 years old and having this all happen/taken away to/from you right now?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by teledad View Post
    The kid is going back for his junior year. Quarantine on arrival (alone in your room until you have 2 negative tests in succession), masks required any time outside of your dorm suite (which has 6 students in a "pod"), all students tested twice a week, all food to-go and eat outside or in your suite. Restricted to campus for the first month, can't leave the county after that, everyone leaves at Thanksgiving and takes finals remotely. Any violations and you're immediately asked to leave, go home and attend classes remotely. Oh, and half of his classes will be remote anyway since the professor doesn't want to come to campus.

Glad they're taking it seriously but it's going to be a completely different experience. Tried to convince him to just stay home but he hated being home in the spring and wants to give it a shot.
    Sounds pretty damn close to what my freshman is about to experience. Moves in a week from now.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    I don't know why any kid in their right mind would go back to college and overpay for a watered-down experience right now. Take the year off, do something creative, and go back next fall. These requirements and online "directives" are all a giant shit-show waiting to happen.
    Much easier said than done. One size does not fit most. And while a bunch of people are going to do something creative as you suggest, a bunch are probably going to take the year off and do something non-creative which may stunt them. There's no right answer for everyone.

33 years ago if the technology had been there and my family situation been conducive to it I would have happily jumped at the opportunity to do online classes from my house. It fits my personality. It doesn't fit my son.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    A few of my son’s friends are doing that, but what can you do if you take a gap year? Delays your life a year and you can’t really travel or do anything cool besides drive around the country and camp due to covid. No money to do that because there aren’t any good jobs to get if you have no experience and want your days free (restaurant industry isn’t gonna hire anyone). They are fairly screwed.

Kid decided he was better off having a compromised experience, learning something, move toward graduation and trying to ski, bike and camp while schools out. Hard to argue with him.

Yeah, but, employers will be looking at degrees earned from this period for probably a decade or more and think, oh, yeah, Zoom quality for a year or two. No thanks, I'll take the fresh kids that were on campus all four years, or maybe older millenials. It's like trying to compare 2020 baseball stats to years before or after. Forever a big asterisk.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yeah, but, employers will be looking at degrees earned from this period for probably a decade or more and think, oh, yeah, Zoom quality for a year or two. No thanks, I'll take the fresh kids that were on campus all four years, or maybe older millenials. It's like trying to compare 2020 baseball stats to years before or after. Forever a big asterisk.

It must have been a while since you went to college. Any school worth a damn figured out they were losing revenue this way a long time ago and stopped giving credit for classes taken elsewhere.

Even 17 years ago not a single one of my AP courses transferred over. Not a single one of 5 community college pre-reqs I took transferred, 2 of which were taught by the same fucking adjunct professor and were literally the same class.

This whole just take 2 years of community college then transfer idea is a practice preached by people who think they have hacked the system retroactively but in reality never actually pulled it off because colleges aren't dummies, they know they can just deny you a degree if you don't pay for the full 4 years.

Sure it would be great to get a top tier degree for a sweet discount, but in reality its pretty much impossible to pull off. That being said, if you want some bs business degree from a third tier state school it might still be an option, but at that point you aren't saving that much money in the first place.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    It must have been a while since you went to college. Any school worth a damn figured out they were losing revenue this way a long time ago and stopped giving credit for classes taken elsewhere.

Even 17 years ago not a single one of my AP courses transferred over. Not a single one of 5 community college pre-reqs I took transferred, 2 of which were taught by the same fucking adjunct professor and were literally the same class.

This whole just take 2 years of community college then transfer idea is a practice preached by people who think they have hacked the system retroactively but in reality never actually pulled it off because colleges aren't dummies, they know they can just deny you a degree if you don't pay for the full 4 years.

Sure it would be great to get a top tier degree for a sweet discount, but in reality its pretty much impossible to pull off. That being said, if you want some bs business degree from a third tier state school it might still be an option, but at that point you aren't saving that much money in the first place.
    Thank you..u r completely on point..u r a better man than me being able to put that so eloquently....lol

Gap year. As if.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda