Page 5 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    It must have been a while since you went to college. Any school worth a damn figured out they were losing revenue this way a long time ago and stopped giving credit for classes taken elsewhere.

Even 17 years ago not a single one of my AP courses transferred over. Not a single one of 5 community college pre-reqs I took transferred, 2 of which were taught by the same fucking adjunct professor and were literally the same class.

This whole just take 2 years of community college then transfer idea is a practice preached by people who think they have hacked the system retroactively but in reality never actually pulled it off because colleges aren't dummies, they know they can just deny you a degree if you don't pay for the full 4 years.

Sure it would be great to get a top tier degree for a sweet discount, but in reality its pretty much impossible to pull off. That being said, if you want some bs business degree from a third tier state school it might still be an option, but at that point you aren't saving that much money in the first place.
    Wow. Where did you go to school? I've taught at some pretty fancy, high on themselves, revenue obsessed schools and even they accepted transfer credits in. A lot of state schools, including CA the biggest system in the country, have systems where if you take approved courses your credit is guaranteed to transfer.

I tried to talk my son out of this year, but he wants to go __now__. He's super focused on being a physicist and really, there's nowhere but the best programs that would be worth his time.

As a parent, I never forbid my kids anything (yet) with the underlying logic that it's best for them to learn from and take responsibility for their mistakes and to enjoy full credit for their successes.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I tried to talk my son out of this year, but he wants to go __now__. He's super focused on being a physicist and really, there's nowhere but the best programs that would be worth his time.

As a parent, I never forbid my kids anything (yet) with the underlying logic that it's best for them to learn from and take responsibility for their mistakes and to enjoy full credit for their successes.
    If he's the type that does well with the type of instruction available, it's probably not a bad idea if that's his goal. If other people choose not to go now, he might come out a bit off cycle and have a bit less competition going into grad school ( though obviously that depends on the distribution of holdouts across years).

Seriously, though.

The thought of an 18-22 year old taking a gap year and "doing something creative" is pretty amusing.

They would simply fritter away 12 months fucking around. NTTAWWT.

I'm sending an 18yo (almost) and 19yo to Montana State this week. I'm REALLY hoping they can keep their shit together up there, 'cause these kids need to GET OUT OF MY HOUSE.

Quote Originally Posted by skaredshtles View Post
    Seriously, though.

The thought of an 18-22 year old taking a gap year and "doing something creative" is pretty amusing.

I'm sending an 18yo (almost) and 17yo to Montana State this week. I'm REALLY hoping they can keep their shit together up there, 'cause these kids need to GET OUT OF MY HOUSE.
    LOL

Seriously, though.

maybe
    but they wouldn’t have a diminished respiratory system for the remainder of their lives

I just mentioned to darling daughter the other day about taking this year off. She looked at me like I was from outer space.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    If he's the type that does well with the type of instruction available, it's probably not a bad idea if that's his goal. If other people choose not to go now, he might come out a bit off cycle and have a bit less competition going into grad school ( though obviously that depends on the distribution of holdouts across years).
    He did self taught Electricity & Magnetism physics AP online and got a 5.

That said, Reed is trying to do a controlled conventional program (usual lectures and conferences, masked, ongoing testing, interaction limited to groups of 15 pods for classes, dorms and food) that may go online if infection rates reach a threshold.

I went there 40+ years ago and I have never seen a comparable math program. First year is sets, mappings, equivalence relations, axiom of choice, building in sequence the natural numbers, group completion to integers, equivalence relations of pairs giving rise to the rational numbers, Cauchy sequences, Dedikind cuts, the real numbers and complex extension. Abstract algebra (groups, rings, fields, Galois groups) and measure theory as sophmores.

Covid-19 effects suck for all of us

Seriously, though.

I'm sending an 18yo (almost) and 17yo to Montana State this week. I'm REALLY hoping they can keep their shit together up there, 'cause these kids need to GET OUT OF MY HOUSE.
    I thought you lived in a van....
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    maybe
    but they wouldn’t have a diminished respiratory system for the remainder of their lives
    Yes... I'm not attempting at all to say there is no risk.

The risk of me killing them, at this point, is greater than the risk of a poor COVID outcome...

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Wow. Where did you go to school? I've taught at some pretty fancy, high on themselves, revenue obsessed schools and even they accepted transfer credits in. A lot of state schools, including CA the biggest system in the country, have systems where if you take approved courses your credit is guaranteed to transfer.
    Seriously! Now while that's probably true for many private universities, out-of-state schools, and certain prestigious programs, I think that if you're staying in-state and going to a public university, that at least most basic credits typically transfer no problem. Probably depends on the state and schools, though. Worth looking into either way. I saved a bloody fortune and ALL my credits transferred without a hitch. Also, CLEP FTMFW!!!

Then again, that was 13 years ago that I finished up, so things could be pretty different now. I do know that whole "just work a summer job to pay for the next years of school" idea is COMPLETELY out the window now. Sucks. Glad I'm not going to school these days what with school being totally lame (thanks to COVID) and sky high prices. I feel for kids (and the paying parents). Trying my best to figure out a way to start saving up so I can prepare bend over sans lube come 2035 or so when it's MY kids turns. Ugh...

Yes... I'm not attempting at all to say there is no risk.

The risk of me killing them, at this point, is greater than the risk of a poor COVID outcome...
    Lol. Truth. I couldn't imagine being stuck with teens in the house this year. Bad enough with my little ones. Has to be even worse with your kids' age bracket. Vibes, bro.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    I thought you lived in a van....
    Yeah... "van" "home" - it's interchangeable at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Lol. Truth. I couldn't imagine being stuck with teens in the house this year. Bad enough with my little ones. Has to be even worse with your kids' age bracket. Vibes, bro.
    No - I'd wager it's easier for us - 3 teens in the house, but they're all basically self-sufficient and do their own thing. The eldest worked all summer, which was good for him and for us.

That's not to say that they aren't regularly assholes. Mainly when I tell them (I mean, I yell at them) to do shit.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    <snip>

Even 17 years ago not a single one of my AP courses transferred over.
    Dafuq?

My oldest kid went to university last year and took something like 36 AP credits with him. The middle kid starts this year, and I think he is taking something like 30 credits in with him.

WTF college did you go to??

As a student, my "crappy" credits from a second rate SUNY school and N. Seattle Community College all transferred to the University of Washington at Seattle. Some people think the 'dub is a decent school...

I have a friend whose kid went to Ithaca and then transferred to a no name private school that was closer to home and many of the credits didn't transfer. my friend said none, but they were pretty bitter about how much Ithaca cost and how few or none of the credits transferred

maybe a pattern? maybe shitty private schools are out to fuck you and prestigious public universities aren't?

To say colleges and universities do not allow transfer credits is flat out wrong.

COVID and the college student

Dafuq?

My oldest kid went to university last year and took something like 36 AP credits with him. The middle kid starts this year, and I think he is taking something like 30 credits in with him.

WTF college did you go to??
    God bless u.....They must be really smart. What was his AP scores?....Ivy and Public Ivy’s are only accepting 5’s on AP tests/credits....that’s amazing to get 5’s on that AP test.

*I don’t think I could get a 1 on that f’in thing...lol

COVID and the college student

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    To say colleges and universities do not allow transfer credits is flat out wrong.
    It’s really not....a lot don’t. I’ve just gone through it the past 2 years...and I’m in education.

Truly depends on the schools you are looking at....in state/out of state....public/private.

I would of loved for my kids to have their AP credits count....or take classes at a CC for credits.....but for their situation...none of that would have transferred/worked.

Trust me, they should be accepting credits from a higher learning entity.....but until you actually talk with the Registrar at that school....it all “depends”.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    It’s really not....a lot don’t. I’ve just done it the past 2 years...Truly depends on the schools....in state/out of state....public/private.
    You're making the same point. It depends.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    You're making the same point. It depends.
    Yes...ur right. It totally sucks....especially with the shit that’s going on now...lol

'cause these kids need to GET OUT OF MY HOUSE.
    Having our 18 and 21 year old offspring around is like having a flock of magpies inside the house. They're noisy, messy and eat every fucking thing in sight.

A credit is nowhere near fungible for an experience.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    God bless u.....They must be really smart. What was his AP scores?....Ivy and Public Ivy’s are only accepting 5’s on AP tests/credits....that’s amazing to get 5’s on that AP test.

*I don’t think I could get a 1 on that f’in thing...lol
    I think MSU would accept 4's, IIRC. But, to be honest, I don't remember, as I don't get involved with that shit much. All I ask them is, "Will this get you graduated sooner?"

uggggh, for most of us lunch box charlies, a degree is just a flaming hoop to jump through to start a profession. the sooner it is completed the better