Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    Thing 2 kicking ass and liking online schoolwork for the most part. He's definitely putting in the hours and a full load for summer quarter is compressed into fewer weeks than the rest so it's pretty intense. A couple of quarters away from being a collidge gragitate!
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Sounds like your daughter goes to Middlebury
    Middlebury doesn’t have many off campus students and many have single rooms

I don’t know if they are going to double kids up this year

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    My daughter is in Physician Assistant school. Just finished her first year of didactic classes and was scheduled to start rotations in June. Of course they couldn't do their "hands-on" skill classes remotely. All 30 students came back to class and quarantined for 14 days and have been doing rotations on clinical skills such as intubation, injections, suturing, etc. Today is lumbar puncture day.

Our little part of the world is blowing up like everywhere else. We were bopping along at 0-3 active cases in the county, and now are over 100 and climbing. Most of her rotations are local in the same health care system. Wouldn't surprise me if they closed the hospitals to all non-essentials, including PA, med and nursing students.

Sux.
    Well, a hard turn yesterday. Apparently at a party, one of the students was in the presence of a person who was positive. School is now recessed again, with only some limited lab time for skills in 3 person groups. Announced that some of the rotations with physicians/patients may be virtual.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Son starts freshman year this fall, state school. All but one class is in person. Dorms are as full as normal - he's in a double, sharing a bathroom with another double. Pretty torn about it all. Online only would just suck.

Gap year has no point. Can't go anywhere, can't do anything, can't really get a job, what's the point?

One positive about college - captive population, and the school can get them to do whatever they want regarding masks, quarantine, contact tracing, etc. So yes, parties are a problem, but when the outbreaks occur they can manage them - if they do it right.

COVID and the college student

Quote Originally Posted by TNKen View Post
    Well, a hard turn yesterday. Apparently at a party, one of the students was in the presence of a person who was positive. School is now recessed again, with only some limited lab time for skills in 3 person groups. Announced that some of the rotations with physicians/patients may be virtual.
    At a party says it all

Wtf - seriously

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    So if ur kid was in college and he was on team....would you still recommend a “GAP YEAR”?

Would you and him be willing to take that chance if their is a season? Remember college baseball is in fall/spring. Would he/you be willing to take a “year off”? If he is a D1/D2 prospect......would his roster spot/partial scholarship be available the following year?...(probably not).

Even if there is “no season”...and the students are on campus....the team is still working out/practicing on campus......all year long...Tough call to miss a whole year of working out with team.

Taking a gap year is a nice thought for students today....but for student athletes, it’s not that easy to say just take the year off.
    I’m not talking about student athletes, especially on scholarships, I’m talking about the poor bastards stuck paying Private tuition.

difficult topic three in college, one out of state. The instate's not such a big deal. the outta state has been difficult, the school classifies classes as "in person" "remote learning" and "online." "remote learning" as near as i can tell, is a euphemism for "we don't know WTF we're gonna do, but you'll pay for it." so all four of MT#4s fall classes are "remote learning." roll eyes. The (10k annually) housing contract last day for cancellation was last night and we cancelled. So I'm sure all four will be changed to in person. Pisses me off in that kid has a 3.92 GPA albeit a crip political science major. He does have a really good gig right now at the local Home Depot.

YMMV.
    "Can't you see..."

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    The (10k annually) housing contract last day for cancellation was last night and we cancelled. So I'm sure all four will be changed to in person. Pisses me off in that kid has a 3.92 GPA albeit a crip political science major. He does have a really good gig right now at the local Home Depot.

YMMV.
    I mean, if this thing gets any worse, understanding how to navigate the landscape of roaming street gangs could be a really useful skill.

Update; miniplug’s 5th class was just made online only. All classes online, she already has a house rented w/ 4 others.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

2800 cruise ships about to set sail.

https://www.profgalloway.com/uss-uni...n=NMNM20200717

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    Update; miniplug’s 5th class was just made online only. All classes online, she already has a house rented w/ 4 others.
    A different type learning experience, for sure. Doesn't necessarily suck, except for $ spent.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    A different type learning experience, for sure. Doesn't necessarily suck, except for $ spent.
    Right now, it looks like it depends on if her best friend/roommate is going. If not, we’ll probably end up eating the rent.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Our university also applied a hybrid way of teaching because when the university is international, the risk is very high when students from different countries study together. Students living in countries with high infection rates will study remotely for the next academic year. Now that there are many educational services, such as https://writix.co.uk/nursing-assignment-help remote education is much easier. But still, it seems to me that remote education is a future anyway. Especially when you want to study in a good college, but traveling to that college across the world is very difficult and expensive.
    Last edited by MeredithMitchell; 07-28-2020 at 03:13 AM.

Interesting read

I like this excerpt
    =====

The average salary of a full professor (before benefits and admin support costs) is $104,820, though some make much more
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    At a party says it all

Wtf - seriously

Turns out it was a hashing, with intimate hugs at the end.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

that profgalloway site is interesting. the fire and fawning piece especially informative.

my alma just emailed their distro list cancelling all in person classes. student body of 1400. small town liberal arts school. 10% discount on tuition. unfortunately they don't land in Galloway's safest quadrant.

seems if any were to manage this thing responsibly it would be a school of that size.
    bumps are for poor people

Yesterday, Julio Frenk, Dean of Univ. of Miami, was on CNN. Apparently, THE []_[] is the first university opening it's doors for in-person instruction this summer. Classes begin on 08/17. He spoke about the hybrid system employed by THE []_[], which gives an option of 100% in person/ in-person and on-line instruction, and 100% on-line instruction. Student's had until yesterday to opt-in for on-line only and once the decision is made it cannot be changed during the semester. There are 11,000 undergrads studying at the university. Nearly 3000 have opted for stay at home/on-line only. That is huge. There are no tuition discounts for on-line only instruction.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

COVID and the college student

My buddies kid goes to Univ. of Scranton (the U)....they had planned for in person...everyone paid semester bills last week......kids started leased apartments., etc...and yesterday they changed their minds and now it is totally online at home...(after they got everyone’s tuition).

This is the scenario I am afraid of.....

^^^^ Holy Shite. That sucks. I just paid this morning.

My buddies kid goes to Univ. of Scranton (the U)....they had planned for in person...everyone paid semester bills last week......kids started leased apartments., etc...and yesterday they changed their minds and now it is totally online at home...(after they got everyone’s tuition).

This is the scenario I am afraid of.....
    Those conniving Jesuits!

Hey guys, it's been said before, but, in-person school isn't happening in the fall. Plan for it.

Yup. There's no way they can contain the 'rona at my daughter's school/town in the middle of BFE once students start piling back in in a few weeks from everywhere. Even with the "hybrid" instruction and single occupancy rooms.

They'll shut it down and chase everyone home before Halloween.

Just got off Teams meeting....UVM plan:

-Prearrival Test (Saliva)...mailed to home...take 5 days before move in. (Aug. 24-29th)

-Day 0 Test...(Nose Swab)...on campus..day you move in....your Student ID is then activated.

-Day 7 Test...(Nose swab)...on campus

-Day 14 Test....(Nose swab)...on campus

-School will re-evaluate in mid September to see where things are at...and adjust test schedule accordingly.

Negative tests get the kids put into isolation housing for 10 days....online learning...meals delivered, etc.

Plan is to create a campus bubble....no outside visitors/parents on campus all semester.

plans.....

Just got off Teams meeting....UVM plan:

-Prearrival Test (Saliva)...mailed to home...take 5 days before move in. (Aug. 24-29th)

-Day 0 Test...(Nose Swab)...on campus..day you move in....your Student ID is then activated.

-Day 7 Test...(Nose swab)...on campus

-Day 14 Test....(Nose swab)...on campus

-School will re-evaluate in mid September to see where things are at...and adjust test schedule accordingly.

Negative tests get the kids put into isolation housing for 10 days....online learning...meals delivered, etc.

Plan is to create a campus bubble....no outside visitors/parents on campus all semester.
    Has the administration ever met a college student???

I assume you are out of state, so, doing the 14 day quarantine on campus? That adds to the top of the timeline. Plus, you are supposed to isolate for the five days between the test and move-in. We are in state. The boy is quitting his job 5 days early.