Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Wrecked View Post
    She found one apt right on the main drag of businesses in Hyde park 55th? Maybe? I’ve only been there once...but that U shuttle stops just a few doors down... keeping their fingers crossed that one works out...
    Yep -- ain't nothing wrong w/ that. Especially if it is the group of apts right above Thai 55/Cafe Corea/Kikuya/Snail. Not that they are particularly nice, but they are fine. 55th is a plenty busy street and the 19-yo can learn proper drinking habits because all those places are BYOB and solid.

Easy commute to campus. Easy to get out to the lake shore path for exercise. Easy to get groceries. And close to La Petite Folie which is a primo french bakery.

Jimmys Woodlawn tavern.

Good times
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Jimmys Woodlawn tavern.

Good times
    An institution. Lived next door in a 3-story walk up with amazing southern light and a sweet side yard. Believe that yard got filled in recently.

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    Vibes to all the college kids and professors out there. What a shitty time.

Expecting college kids to be on campus and not get together to do fun things is just laughable. The outbreaks on college campuses are going to be incredibly widespread.
    Agreed, 18-22 year olds are absolutely hard wired to mingle. There will be a lot of 1.5 second "she/he looks healthy" decisions made plus a whole lot of "alcohol kills Covid, and there's lots of alcohol at ________". Numbers will explode.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Indeed, attending college with apprehension of the occasional soiree or hook-up is sad. I guess things like Miami Ultra, Burning Man and Cochella are out of the question.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

BOT-ALERT!!!

COVID and the college student

Got the email today from UVM about schedule changes for fall semester...both girls will be on campus.

Daughter1 (sophomore Bio/Premed)...only her 2 labs are in person. 3 classes online.

Daughter2 (freshman/Environmental Science)....all her classes are in person.

This is as of today....it could all change by the time the semester begins.

This is getting very interesting: 17 States + DC sue Trump Administration over his visa plan
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/13/polit...uit/index.html
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Our daughter will be going back for her senior year. No fall sports, winter sports pushed back, hybrid on campus and online learning, housing guaranteed be a circus.

Al I can think is they better have a good plan B because plan A most likely isn't going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by BC. View Post
    Got the email today from UVM about schedule changes for fall semester...both girls will be on campus.

Daughter1 (sophomore Bio/Premed)...only her 2 labs are in person. 3 classes online.

Daughter2 (freshman/Environmental Science)....all her classes are in person.

This is as of today....it could all change by the time the semester begins.
    Son will be a freshman in Mechanical Engineering at UVM.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    This is getting very interesting: 17 States + DC sue Trump Administration over his visa plan
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/07/13/polit...uit/index.html
    Admin just did a U turn on this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Son will be a freshman in Mechanical Engineering at UVM.
    Nice...great major...hope u guys are ok navigating this shit show. Pm me if u have any questions.

My daughter is in Physician Assistant school. Just finished her first year of didactic classes and was scheduled to start rotations in June. Of course they couldn't do their "hands-on" skill classes remotely. All 30 students came back to class and quarantined for 14 days and have been doing rotations on clinical skills such as intubation, injections, suturing, etc. Today is lumbar puncture day.

Our little part of the world is blowing up like everywhere else. We were bopping along at 0-3 active cases in the county, and now are over 100 and climbing. Most of her rotations are local in the same health care system. Wouldn't surprise me if they closed the hospitals to all non-essentials, including PA, med and nursing students.

Sux.
    In order to properly convert this thread to a polyasshat thread to more fully enrage the liberal left frequenting here...... (insert latest democratic blunder of your choice).

Just to chime in, my daughter is going to be a senior at WSU this fall, and when the virus happened she immediately took 2 summer school classes because her internships and jobs dried up. This coming semester she’s taking five classes, 4 online, and 1 more that could be in person. We’re still trying to figure out if she’s going to go to Pullman or stay here.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Same boat. My son is going into his senior year of a Construction Management degree at Sac State. He's not a fan of the online classes and misses campus. He loved playing intramural ball and all of the other college life shiz. Classes like Surveying will possibly be hybrid.

Just received a letter from our darling daughter's bucolic tree lined institute of higher learning. Off campus residents (like darling daughter) will not be able to use the on campus dining plan and facilities.

And looking forward to the severe lack of housing both on and off campus in such a bucolic part of the world, students are officially warned not to honk off the townies with overhabitation of off campus residences or they'll be at risk of being kicked out of school.

Unless there's a vaccine, I just don't see this working past fall quarter.

Sounds like your daughter goes to Middlebury

no, but pretty close.

Two words. GAP YEAR. What’s the penalty in taking a yr off?

On a side note, my son will be a HS Junior, and is already being recruited to play college baseball, but the prospect of his junior season being canceled really begs the question as to what will happen to all these athletes, HS and college?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Two words. GAP YEAR. What’s the penalty in taking a yr off?

On a side note, my son will be a HS Junior, and is already being recruited to play college baseball, but the prospect of his junior season being canceled really begs the question as to what will happen to all these athletes, HS and college?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    So if ur kid was in college and he was on team....would you still recommend a “GAP YEAR”?

Would you and him be willing to take that chance if their is a season? Remember college baseball is in fall/spring. Would he/you be willing to take a “year off”? If he is a D1/D2 prospect......would his roster spot/partial scholarship be available the following year?...(probably not).

Even if there is “no season”...and the students are on campus....the team is still working out/practicing on campus......all year long...Tough call to miss a whole year of working out with team.

Taking a gap year is a nice thought for students today....but for student athletes, it’s not that easy to say just take the year off.

Except that to me a gap year should be an interesting one, either traveling or working. You know, a year to expand your horizons and grow a bit. Not to sit around the house, get fat and play video games.

Just received this from the Dean of Frost:

MESSAGE FROM DEAN SHELTON BERG

Dear Frost Students & Families,

Your professors and I are looking forward to being back on campus with you for the Fall semester, and we are working proactively to provide a safe and stimulating environment. We have collaborated with UM administration all summer on the logistics of the on-campus experience, details of which are below. In the Frost School, in addition to campus and class planning, we are planning extraordinary events to enhance the coming academic year. This will include more guest artists and teacher residencies, enhanced chamber music experiences, and deeper training in the Frost School’s industry-leading Through Lines. Stay tuned for details.

We are committed to helping you keep your education on track so that as opportunities return to normal you are ready to go on to the next phase of your life and career. President Frenk is one of the world’s foremost authorities on pandemics, and we are following his confident leadership in returning to campus. In my view, the best tonic for recent problems and anxiety in the nation and world is music, and in coming together as musicians and musical scholars, we are healing ourselves and others.

Below are measures we are taking, based on input and data from experts and approved by UM’s emergency management unit, to help you have a safe and productive semester. We will continue to adjust our plans and procedures, as necessary.

All classes and ensembles have been assigned to spaces with safe distancing between students. This includes holding classes in the rehearsal and performance halls and creating a large classroom on the 2nd floor of the Weeks Music Library.
    All students will wear face coverings in classes and public areas.
    Disinfectant wipes and hand sanitizers will be available in every classroom and at practice room entrances.
    Traffic flows through buildings, and ingress/egress will be managed for safety.
    There will be a minimum of 15 minutes between activities in any classroom, studio, or practice room to allow air recirculation. Disinfectant sprays have been shown to be effective, and we are looking into their usage in studios and practice rooms.
    We are working with UM’s Facilities department to install UV filters in air handlers and other measures to enhance air quality.
    Large instrumental ensembles will adhere to safe distance guidelines. Players will be alternated on repertoire as needed to keep ensemble size to acceptable numbers. String players and percussionists will wear face coverings, wind players will wear face coverings when not playing, and plexiglass barriers will be employed in wind sections.
    Choral ensembles will meet in very large spaces with increased distancing – for instance, the seating area of Gusman Hall, and choral singing will be done with face covering.
    Chamber music will employ a combination of face-to-face and virtual modalities.
    Contemporary and Jazz singers will use their own microphones and in-ear monitors.
    There will be two studios for each vocal lesson, one for the student and one for the teacher, employing Dante software (provided by the Frost School) for real-time interaction. Measures are also being taken for safe wind lessons, with increased distance and plexiglass barriers.
    Practice rooms will be managed so that each student uses the same assigned room all semester. Each Foster practice room has a discreet air conditioner that continuously recycles air from outside.
    All classes will be captured on video for real-time and later viewing.
    We are an outdoor-friendly campus, which can be put to good use to enhance safety. Many students practice outside, and many of our classrooms and rehearsal rooms are accessed directly from the outside as opposed to through interior corridors.
    For anyone who chooses not to return to campus this fall, you have until July 22 to request to take your classes remotely for the semester. To request full virtual/remote learning for Fall 2020, click here. We recommend this option instead of a leave of absence so that you can stay on track with your degree and course sequencing. For more information about a remote semester, visit the University of Miami Coronavirus Response website.
    Our plans for safety include stringently enforced rules, and it is everyone’s responsibility to behave responsibly. Wearing a mask, washing hands frequently, and practicing social distancing minimizes the risk of catching illnesses wherever we are.

We are excited for your return and the opportunity to reconnect with the extraordinary community that is the Frost School of Music.

Sincerely,

A close up of a logo

Description automatically generated

Yeah, perfect time for a gap year and ski bum it, but that's not looking very promising right now obviously.

Paying full in-person tuition for online classes is bullshit. Freshman and sophomores are better off taking online classes through their local community college at a 80-90% discount.

Quote Originally Posted by ColMan View Post
    Yeah, perfect time for a gap year and ski bum it, but that's not looking very promising right now obviously.

Paying full in-person tuition for online classes is bullshit. Freshman and sophomores are better off taking online classes through their local community college at a 80-90% discount.
    Agree..It is bullshit

Depending on the college your kids can be accepted to/want to go.....It is a great plan for kids to take classes at their local community college....but not all colleges would accept those local Community College credits.....some colleges accept them/but some schools no.

That would really suck to take those CC credits for 2 years and then the credits not be accepted by the eventual school you wanted to go to.

It is all bullshit....tough decisions..

Back in the day when I asked junior about taking a gap year another consideration was that some scholarships and bursaries were use it or lose it
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Back in the day when I asked junior about taking a gap year another consideration was that some scholarships and bursaries were use it or lose it
    Yep....that’s why the rec of just “take a gap year”...doesn’t fit for everyone.