Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    that I was stupidly way late to the game. I actually beleived we were there to maximize shareholder wealth and made decisions from that basis. Somewhere Al Pachino from scent of a woman is screaming GET THE FUKIN EARWAX OUTTA YER EARS.

Looking back corporate america Is all about maximizing MY wealth. fuck everyone and everything else.

Not bitter, and can't really complain, but wished' Ida learnt that a whole lot sooner.
    "Can't you see..."

I don’t actually have a problem with corporate America. I think corporations have definite advantages over other types of businesses, although not in all cases.

Also, I think greed is good.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    ...Also, I think greed is good.
    I think you misunderstood that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I think you misunderstood that movie.
    From the screenwriter’s point of view, I probably did. Hell, I can barely remember the plot. But I don’t generally regard Hollywood movies as a valuable source of knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffreaux View Post
    If you were not wage slaves, these things would not bother you so much. You chose a life corporate dependence and discontented bellyaching.
    I'm not a corporate wage slave and never have been and it bothers me that corporations are destroying this country and much of the world. It doesn't bother you just because you don't work for them? huh.

Re: Carlin...greed. Ppl who drive faster are maniacs, ppl who drive slower are idiots.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I don't get it. Who hates people less greedy than them?
    People less greedy are naive pawns.
    People more greedy are sociopaths.

Or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    I don’t generally regard Hollywood movies as a valuable source of knowledge.
    Just as a source of quotes to try to make your point? Okay.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    It’s the ceo pay scale and their parachutes. If I was king the company would be run by people who worked there way to the top, not college grads who never got their hands dirty. In medicine a bunch of fucking MBA’s tell me how to do medicine. I’m here from 5am to 2am getting kicked in the tea bag while they went home at 4pm to sit by the pool (I know because of the zoom meetings) and come in at 8.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I think this varies by industry, I can see your POV coming from the medical field. In my industry, CPG/ distribution, the vast majority of the executives I deal with worked their way to the top.

Also, there’s many MBA folks out there who worked a full time job, had kids and earned their MBA at the same time...I did it and it was extremely hard so don’t under sell that. Now if we’re talking a 26 yo w/ no work experience that is different.

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    It’s the ceo pay scale and their parachutes. If I was king the company would be run by people who worked there way to the top, not college grads who never got their hands dirty. In medicine a bunch of fucking MBA’s tell me how to do medicine. I’m here from 5am to 2am getting kicked in the tea bag while they went home at 4pm to sit by the pool (I know because of the zoom meetings) and come in at 8.

You need a side hustle. What about sneaker collecting? My friends teenage kid makes $500+ a month trading sneakers online. Kid is like a mini-Bobby Stainless.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by dtown View Post
    I think this varies by industry, I can see your POV coming from the medical field. In my industry, CPG/ distribution, the vast majority of the executives I deal with worked their way to the top.

Also, there’s many MBA folks out there who worked a full time job, had kids and earned their MBA at the same time...I did it and it was extremely hard so don’t under sell that. Now if we’re talking a 26 yo w/ no work experience that is different.

I think he's referring to the management consulting people who don't go inside unless it's an exec position, never having done real work in industry. Then make asinine decisions.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    I think he's referring to the management consulting people who don't go inside unless it's an exec position, never having done real work in industry. Then make asinine decisions.
    That’s kind of what I assumed...asinine decisions poolside are even better.

Quote Originally Posted by stalefish3169 View Post
    Private equity is even worse and its influence is growing stronger.
    I've been in that world for a few years. Some of those guys would have an aneurysm if revenue grew <25% annually.

What do you hate most about Corporate America?

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    So, for all intents and purposes, corporations currently only have a responsibility to shareholders. This is codified in US law.

^this arrangement has brought us to the "kill the host for short term profits" we deal with today.

In my lay-person simple understanding, I always saw this as fundamentally flawed - so much of what a corp serves and uses is common resources. Be it - natural resources (air, water, minerals, space), human capital (our educated population & fitness in working), infrastructure (roadways, sewers, stability from war/lawlessness, stability in currency/trading), health of its customers. Corps directly benefit from the society investment in which is was created - and it didn't have an absolute, unchallenged, right to pollute any of it just for the sake of the stock returns. It was clear to me there far more shared interests/stakeholders than just people who bought into the company.

I saw it as being more 4 parties: Shareholders - Community - Employee - Customers. Equal accountability. But this article included more obvious invested parties - suppliers for instance.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...SOV?li=BBnbfcN

Bad decisions made long ago have come to roost....it's going to be very unsettling to right the ship now.
    Stakeholder theory has been taught at business school for at least thirty years

Unfortunately leaders are incentivized to ignore stakeholders

I have found working for small companies difficult

Following the BLM protests we received an email with a video clip titled “A Message about Inclusion and Diversity” from our 45yo, white, male, Mormon “Chief People Officer” where he tasked the one African American executive in the company to lead a committee to increase our diversity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Carl_Mega View Post
    So, for all intents and purposes, corporations currently only have a responsibility to shareholders. This is codified in US law.

^this arrangement has brought us to the "kill the host for short term profits" we deal with today.

In my lay-person simple understanding, I always saw this as fundamentally flawed - so much of what a corp serves and uses is common resources. Be it - natural resources (air, water, minerals, space), human capital (our educated population & fitness in working), infrastructure (roadways, sewers, stability from war/lawlessness, stability in currency/trading), health of its customers. Corps directly benefit from the society investment in which is was created - and it didn't have an absolute, unchallenged, right to pollute any of it just for the sake of the stock returns. It was clear to me there far more shared interests/stakeholders than just people who bought into the company.

I saw it as being more 4 parties: Shareholders - Community - Employee - Customers. Equal accountability. But this article included more obvious invested parties - suppliers for instance.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/comp...SOV?li=BBnbfcN

Bad decisions made long ago have come to roost....it's going to be very unsettling to right the ship now.
    Elizabeth Warren made a similar point years ago and got vilified for it (by some):

“I hear all this, you know, ‘Well, this is class warfare, this is whatever,’” she said. “No. There is nobody in this country who got rich on his own. Nobody.

“You built a factory out there? Good for you. But I want to be clear: you moved your goods to market on the roads the rest of us paid for; you hired workers the rest of us paid to educate; you were safe in your factory because of police forces and fire forces that the rest of us paid for. You didn’t have to worry that marauding bands would come and seize everything at your factory, and hire someone to protect against this, because of the work the rest of us did.

“Now look, you built a factory and it turned into something terrific, or a great idea? God bless. Keep a big hunk of it. But part of the underlying social contract is you take a hunk of that and pay forward for the next kid who comes along.”
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

On eve of bankruptcy, U.S. firms shower execs with bonuses

Nearly a third of more than 40 large companies seeking U.S. bankruptcy protection during the coronavirus pandemic awarded bonuses to executives within a month of filing their cases, according to a Reuters analysis of securities filings and court records.

J.C. Penney has not posted an annual profit since 2010 as it has struggled to grapple with the shift to online shopping and competition from discount retailers. The 118-year-old chain, at various points, employed more than 200,000 people and operated 1,600 stores, figures that have since been cut more than half.

On May 10, J.C. Penney’s board approved compensation changes that paid top executives, including CEO Jill Soltau, nearly $10 million. On May 13, Soltau received a $1.7 million long-term incentive payment and a $4.5 million retention bonus, court filings show.

The annual pay of the company’s median employee, a part-time hourly worker, was $11,482 in 2019, a company filing shows.

J.C. Penney filed for bankruptcy two days after paying Soltau’s bonuses. At a hearing the next day, a creditors’ lawyer argued the payouts were designed to thwart court review. The payouts were timed “so that they didn’t have to put it in front of you,” said the lawyer, Kristopher Hansen, addressing U.S. Bankruptcy Judge David Jones.

Jones - who is also overseeing the Whiting Petroleum, Chesapeake Energy and Neiman Marcus cases - told Reuters that such bonuses are “always a concern” in bankruptcy cases. “That said, the adversarial process demands that parties put the issue before me before I can take action,” he added, emphasizing he was speaking of general dynamics applicable to any case. “A comment made in passing by a lawyer is not sufficient.”

In its statement earlier this year, J.C. Penney said the bonuses were among a series of “tough, prudent decisions” taken to safeguard the firm’s future.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKCN24I1EE

The bonuses definitely rank up there.

Good read. You hear about management consultants all the time but I hadn't paid enough attention to know there was a movement to specifically eliminate middle management. What's interesting is corporate America will eventually shoot itself in the foot with all its nonsense. By universally eliminating the middle class and limiting people's potential for career and income growth, not to mention cutting back education, the population won't have as much spending power to buy the products and services these companies produce. Share prices are driven by expectation of future growth. If people don't have money to spend it will impact future growth.