Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Tablet as Primary Computer

Is anyone using a Ipad as their only home computer? I am looking at purchasing a refurb or base model ipad and pairing with a simple bluetooth keyboard. I primarily want something I can read on and is portable. I know Apple is pushing the Ipad pro to solve this problem, but if I am going to spend $1k I would just buy a Windows laptop, but I don't want that form factor for day to day use.

I am really only using my current (2013 Lenovo on it's last legs) laptop for email, banking, photo storage and some very minor spreadsheet work. I have a laptop for my actual job.

My thought is that this would give me a tablet that would cover 80% of my use and something that is marginal but workable for the other 20% of my use. I would need to put alot media and photos onto portable drives, but I am rarely accessing that stuff these days anyways (basically digital photo albums). I figure I will need to purchase cloud storage to make this work as well.

I haven't opened my laptop since I got my Ipad Pro a year or so ago. It plays videos and TV better than my laptop did. The screen is crisper than my laptop was. I got the 256gig version and am only using about a 1/4 of the storage so far.

Our entire corp (very large Canadian O&G) company is moving to Microsoft Surface Pros from HP laptops so if an old dinosaur like us can make it work, I'm sure you can use one for banking, etc.

Surfaces are full blown computers so they don't count. You can absolutely make that work on an iPad pro, just plan on Google sheets etc all if you need to get actual stuff done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by Treycal View Post
    Our entire corp (very large Canadian O&G) company is moving to Microsoft Surface Pros from HP laptops so if an old dinosaur like us can make it work, I'm sure you can use one for banking, etc.

I have a Surface Pro for work, it's a laptop in that it runs a normal version of windows and a tablet version. The normal version when docked to a mouse, keyboard and monitor is indistinguishable from any other Windows machine.

Not so with an iPad.

All depends on the bluetooth keyboard you get and if it is the chicklet style with little keys, or closer to a full size keyboard. And if there are any packages or software you need other than in the Itunes store. Web browsing and email should be totally doable and as stated if you can do a few of the other things in the cloud if there is no good mobile app version, you should be fine.

The Surface keyboard is great for a tablet keyboard. And the built in stand is critical to me. Sucks it doesn't run lots of apps but for a streaming/reading/computing hybrid it is exactly what I want.

Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    The Surface keyboard is great for a tablet keyboard. And the built in stand is critical to me. Sucks it doesn't run lots of apps but for a streaming/reading/computing hybrid it is exactly what I want.
    Did you get the Surface that has the RT and NVIDIA Tegra CPU and not Surface Pro with it running the standard version of Windows 10 Pro?

Apple icloud storage is pretty cheap. W/o specific cases (programs) not much useful to offer.

large monitors are always awesome when You occasionally you go back to them. Emphasis.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    W/o specific cases (programs) not much useful to offer.

large monitors are always awesome when You occasionally you go back to them. Emphasis.
    Can always cast the Ipad to a TV if you want a large monitor experience. Apple TV or other solutions depending on what brand and type of Smart TV.

I’d recommend a high end chromebook (~$600 Asus, Acer, Samsung, Google) over an IPad for home
    Computing. Integrated keyboard, ability to plug in usb devices and 3.5mm headphones, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    I’d recommend a high end chromebook (~$600 Asus, Acer, Samsung, Google) over an IPad for home
    Computing. Integrated keyboard, ability to plug in usb devices and 3.5mm headphones, etc...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    For that money you can get a 2 in 1 Windows laptop. Although I do prefer chrome over windows. If you spend $600 on a Chromebook, make sure its a 2 in 1 or a convertible or at least has a touch screen. I prefer the smaller 11 to 13 inch range of Chromebook or laptop.

Been super happy with my Surface Pro with the docking station setup. Traditional monitor, keyboard, mouse, printer, extra USB ports, etc when I want it. Pop it out of the dock when I want to use it like a tablet or laptop.

That said, the iPad definitely makes for a better tablet than the Surface but the Surface is WAY better for PC duty. Especially since I use many of the Adobe products and need the extra horsepower. If you only need the most basic of duties, then yes, an iPad can be great. Many websites blow balls in their "mobile" forms which the iPad usually defaults to. Especially for form entry. I have an iPad at home as well and I HATE using it for web use compared to a real computer.

I also have a Mac for family computer use and I've also come to love the iMac/iPad combo. You can use the computer as an extra screen wirelessly. Pretty slick actually how well they've integrated them.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using TGR Forums mobile app

I appreciate the laptop recommendation, but as I said, I don't think that is a good form factor for at least 80% of what I would use it for.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    I appreciate the laptop recommendation, but as I said, I don't think that is a good form factor for at least 80% of what I would use it for.
    Hence my 2 in 1 suggestions. Folds over into a tablet. Or go full Surface Pro for way mo $$$$.

Don't mind me, I'm clueless re Surface/Win10 but...
    doesn't run lots of apps
    Did you get the Surface that has the RT and NVIDIA Tegra CPU and not Surface Pro with it running the standard version of Windows 10 Pro?
    ...the apps context here means tablet apps from the Apple and/or Google Play store.

Bumping for any new info. Interested for senior that will only use for email, surfing, and some accounting. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by GimpToo View Post
    Bumping for any new info. Interested for senior that will only use for email, surfing, and some accounting. Thanks.
    Is the "accounting" they are doing web-based or do they require a specific software package? That requirement will narrow the choices quite a bit...

Seniors only need a tablet.

If some site or task doesn’t work, do it for them on a desktop. Let them surf in the BarcaLounger or in bed or the patio.
    . . .

Just pawned off my Surface Pro after 4 months on a new employee and got back to a Mac Book Pro.

The UX on PCs is about the wonkiest shit I've experienced since the last time I had a PC...about 8 years ago. The horsepower is nice but holy shit those things are goofy, unintuative and awkward. I had to remember what a driver was. I assumed they had made notable progress but it's like they gave up.

To the OP, an IPad or similar quality tablet is great unless you need it for spreadsheets or anything with ridiculous processor needs. Word processing, browsing and media are all easily accomplished.

Quote Originally Posted by GimpToo View Post
    iPad all the way. I got one for my mother 5 years ago, and she was never a computer user, and I got her an iPad for seniors book, and she took to it right away.
    Quote Originally Posted by jlboyell View Post
    Climate change deniers should be in the same boat as the flat earthers, ridiculed for stupidity.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    Just pawned off my Surface Pro after 4 months on a new employee and got back to a Mac Book Pro.

The UX on PCs is about the wonkiest shit I've experienced since the last time I had a PC...about 8 years ago. The horsepower is nice but holy shit those things are goofy, unintuative and awkward. I had to remember what a driver was. I assumed they had made notable progress but it's like they gave up.

To the OP, an IPad or similar quality tablet is great unless you need it for spreadsheets or anything with ridiculous processor needs. Word processing, browsing and media are all easily accomplished.
    Thanks.

About all I do on my circa 2013 laptop these days is run TurboTax and LibreOffice. All browsing, etc is on a phone or tablet.

Back to chrome books. How do those handle data? Are they feeding everything back to Google? I have been divorcing myself from Googles web products because I find their tracking to be creepy. Are they doing similar things with chrome books? Not interested in sharing ANY data with them that I don’t have to.

Quote Originally Posted by EZB View Post
    Don't mind me, I'm clueless re Surface/Win10 but......the apps context here means tablet apps from the Apple and/or Google Play store.
    The Surface Windows devices are only going to get apps and software from the Microsoft Store or if it is the standard Windows 10 (Surface Pro editions) then anything pretty much that is available for download and running on Windows. The only thing it would be able to access from Apple is your photos, cloud storage, etc. It will not run any Android or iOS apps unless you are willing to try and load up some sort of emulation software that tends to be pretty geeky for the average person. Otherwise if there are Apps or stuff you want to run from Apple Store or Google Play Store you get a device (tablet, etc.) that supports their stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    <snip>
    The UX on PCs is about the wonkiest shit I've experienced since the last time I had a PC...about 8 years ago.
    Huh. I say the same about any experience I have on a Mac.

Related, you suppose?

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Thanks.

About all I do on my circa 2013 laptop these days is run TurboTax and LibreOffice. All browsing, etc is on a phone or tablet.

Back to chrome books. How do those handle data? Are they feeding everything back to Google? I have been divorcing myself from Googles web products because I find their tracking to be creepy. Are they doing similar things with chrome books? Not interested in sharing ANY data with them that I don’t have to.
    Yes. Chrome books are thin client web devices. All your storage belongs to the google borg cloud.
    Do not feed the beast.
    . . .