Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    This is great. I use to always cite the law of unintended consequences and people would say “what’s that.” My answer was usually something like “just cause you intend your actions to do something good doesn’t mean they won’t cause a hundred other things to happen, many of which might be bad.” But that illustration says it better in my opinion.

My two summers in AK, this is the only view of a bear I ever saw. Honestly, the only animals that would just stand and pose for a tourist’s photo were the moose. It gave me the idea of creating a coffee table book full of big glossy photos of wild animals’ butts and call it “The PRACTICAL Guide to Wildlife Identification”. Never followed through on that idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Why did you delete your post asking me a question after I answered it? Guess I should quote more often.
    Because 3 people tried to change the subject between my Q and your A, and I didn't quote you, and only saw your answer after I deleted the Q, and 2 deaf people were trying to have a conversation 6ft away, and moreover it was only up there for 2 minutes anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    Mostly true. While not a clear cut situation certainly, I posted without my view point in order not to bias the responses. I was interested in what they would be. I wasn't there so can only make assumptions based on the personality of the shooter guy. The only real fact I have was that we had no evidence that there was a problem black bear in area 100 m away. He's a bit bloodly minded and a bit of a FB warrior and will write long essays why he is in right. People give up as no one has that much time.

Certainly the owners of baby goats ( son and DIL) were in wrong as didn't take managing the protection of their pets seriously. Learned later that had bought electric fence but hadn't put it up yet. So really the procrastination may have caused situation. My problem with the shooter is that considering that the bear had a kill and wasn't going to move off without a rubber bullet, he persisted in trying to drive off even after first charge. Maybe didn't appreciate the kill issue and was carried away with the emotion of the moment. There was a moment in there after the first charge that the people could have moved inside but that is hindsight. I believe he is shaken up a bit and probably very embarrassed. Hence the email content taking no blame ( reasonable, lawful etc) and throwing shade at rest of neighborhood.

Wife's email. ( she sent only to him did not cc everyone on distribution) I guess I can see your point if you didn't understand that the shooter didn't own goats his son and DIL did. He replied to wife
    " just for the record I strongly advised against keeping goats but people make their own decisions. Security has been beefed up with a powerful electric fence which ironically x (son) had bought a few days ago and was waiting to get home to install. One day too late I guess."
    Yes she laid down guilt with the "You probably know this" which in all fairness he does not know as pretty much a recluse and has no connection to the area other than knowing people 3 houses in any direction.

As to" I wish people would accept that people can generally live where they want to but there are outcomes they may not like when they do. People are also slow to offer a helping hand up front but quick to point mistakes after something goes wrong."

That one is a tricky one. A helping hand is really going out and telling them to change their plans before or after they have done it. I didn't know that the other neighbour was doing the chicken thing again but know that their chicken area was a shit pit and was only good enough to keep chickens in not keep any thing out. Nice people, but don't plan very well and never over build. They originally thought they lost 20 chickens to ravens and only figured out the next night when the last 2 were taken that it was a bear do to damage. Kind of funny in a black way. Shitty for the chickens.

Lots of people make mistakes and really don't think about what they are getting into with animals in a wild area. Mrs DougW went through this kind of stuff as a kid so more real of an issue to her. I don't think anyone knew about the baby goats, but I'm pretty sure no one would have walked over and made an editorial comment on what a bad idea it was or list out all the animals that can eat said goats.
    Not that it matters, but that makes sense to me. You didn’t owe me a response. Neighbor sounds more on the asshole end of the spectrum. Hope your neighbors learn a lesson whether it’s don’t shoot things when they may not have to and don’t procrastinate.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Because 3 people tried to change the subject between my Q and your A, and I didn't quote you, and only saw your answer after I deleted the Q, and 2 deaf people were trying to have a conversation 6ft away, and moreover it was only up there for 2 minutes anyway.
    At least the deaf people were social distancing.

Quote Originally Posted by BCMtnHound View Post
    Was in the woods establishing eco assessments for western Yew with the summer students. Bear shit all over the road up to the site. Didn't see more than dickie birds all day. So disappointed. Maybe tomorrow.

Local facebook is the local horn for bears in small town suburbia. But since I don't use FB notifications on the phone, I don't see neighbour Rick's post until hours later.
    The COS have their office in our building. Traps are in the back compound. You really don't want to know how many backbear they destroy each fall. Worst part of their job. Griz they try and relocate, but there are just so many blackbear, and so little unclaimed territory, it just isn't worth it.
    Around here the number 60 springs to mind, I think from my buddy who is a bear biologist
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

https://thisisreno.com/amp/2020/06/n...in-south-reno/

It just happened in my neighborhood as well. Other than the bear knocked over my trash cans a few times and we almost ran into each other as I came blasting down the local single track on my bike one evening, I never had a problem with bears around. I think it’s kind of cool and we moved into their neighborhood, not vice versa.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I once ate antelope backstrap that was shot through the bathroom window while on the throne.
    It was legit. In season.
    And delicious

Carry on with the bear baiting
    . . .