Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    You know who was a hell of a shot when it comes to shooting bear in the ass?

Chester "Chet" Ripley, that's who.
    I still call it The Jake.

BBLM - Black bear lives matter.... Should be a full on investigation.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    IMO, in all encounters with wild life, unless you can not escape and your life is in immediate jeopardy of ending, the outcome should involve a very painful fine based on your financial resources if you kill a wild animal.
    Let the bear have the non caged goat you dim wit. Next time just stake it out there so he doesn't have to chase it and get all grumpy.
    There should be a fund to reimburse people for the dead animal based on the circumstances. Failing to secure your animals doesn't make you eligible for much but a kick in the nutz from a conservation officer.
    What about if the bear is going after your dog? ...

I thought bear don't eat dog.

Maybe the bear is Chinese?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Maybe the bear is Chinese?
    Does it look like President Xi?

Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Let's just say keep your pangolin away from the bear, ok?

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Is a bean bag enough to haze this MT grizzly?

Attachment 334162
    No it is not.
    Matter of fact, grizzlies try to kill you back, even with a sucking chest wound and two broken shoulders

When you shoot a grizzly on even ground, you best keep keep stock still and don't make a sound for 30+ minutes. Even if if you emptied your gun into him can see him laying there, which is very rare to have happen.

If that fucker hears you, he's coming for you. If he ain't dead when you come for him, he'll come for you then.

To OP - Bears are famously possessive of food and engage in very affirmative resource guarding behavior. Sows with cubs are at least as aggressive.
    A local here killed a sow blackie with cubs in her back yard yesterday. The bear charged one of her kids.

Its not a clear cut situation as its not like they left garbage or dog food around outside. More like a very poor decision to keep goats in a pen with out roof so it just contained a little tasty meal ( snack) for bear). This is what Mrs DougW replied privately.

"I’m very sorry to hear about the goat and the fright and sadness that must have caused X DIL and her family. I’m sure it was a tough incident for you as well.

You probably know this, but people in this area have mixed results with goats, llamas, alpacas and sheep. It usually takes a guardian dog or very good enclosures to ensure their safety. The Red Barn used to attract cougars, some of whom were shot. I’m sure you heard about this. The Cs had to get a guardian dog. J JX gave up on her llamas after losing most of them.

It’s why X, x2, Doug and I chose cattle instead of sheep, even though sheep are a lot cheaper and easier to handle. I knew, from my experiences on the lower mainland raising sheep, that predator losses can be really significant with these animals in this type of environment. ( x &x2 saying do want to help with sheep? and we said hell no)

Problem bear or no (we’ve never seen this bear) goats are a very great and honestly, rather unfair temptation, IMO. I’m not judging, I’m sure there were the best of motivations in getting these goats. They are rather delightful animals.

As for communication, probably not a bad idea. Not sure how to structure that, maybe someone else has some ideas about that.
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    dougW, you motherfucking dirty son of a bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mazderati View Post
    Yes exactly as soon as we heard about the situation we started making references to Jurassic park
    Mrs. Dougw- "I can see how one of your relatives could have been killed by an angry mob."

Nextdoor and Frontporch are apps. Otherwise create a (ouch) Facebook network.

I know someone on FB who, if you told her about this incident, could whip up an angry mob that spans coast to coast in about 8 hours time.

Hashtags and retweets and all that silly shit.

I'll expect a fee if you decide to use her services.

Technically poultry are livestock

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski220 View Post
    Nextdoor and Frontporch are apps. Otherwise create a (ouch) Facebook network.
    They do the FB notice on the Golden Comm site in town for bears. Actually in this case an another neighbour had texted them that a bear was crossing his property on their way to the house in question. So I think the whole comm thing is partly true for getting info on if the bear was being habituated and partially to deflect some blame to others.

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post

To OP - Bears are famously possessive of food and engage in very affirmative resource guarding behavior. Sows with cubs are at least as aggressive.
    A local here killed a sow blackie with cubs in her back yard yesterday. The bear charged one of her kids.
    That was my impression that its nearly impossible to drive off a bear from a kill. Maybe he did not know that so can give benefit of doubt there. Maybe a rubber bullet or other projectile but a banger no. I guess I would not kept myself in a dangerous position if bangers were clearly not working and just retreat inside. If the bear was trying to get inside that is a completely different situation. I know people where the bear was trying to get into their garage with then on the other side of door. They hit with bear spray through the hole that bear had created at a range of 1". Was very effective.

Do they have to do shit, legally, to keep wild animals like bears away from livestock? My experience in the lower 48 is, legally, they often don’t have to do shit. Eg, if the bear is causing “significant property damage” or is an “immediate danger? to humans or animals you can shoot it in my state. Fuck, another state some cunt even used a “pet” goat as bait to take a mountain lion for sport.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Do they have to do shit, legally, to keep wild animals like bears away from livestock? My experience in the lower 48 is, legally, they often don’t have to do shit. Eg, if the bear is causing “significant property damage” or is an “immediate danger? to humans or animals you can shoot it in my state. Fuck, another state some cunt even used a “pet” goat as bait to take a mountain lion for sport.
    Son of a bitch, hence my comment on gnarly ass fines. And when with the dogs in the wild, I try really hard to give all wild life all the room in the world. I know my two would die defending me. I better start carrying bear spray when out in the wild.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by DougW View Post
    That was my impression that its nearly impossible to drive off a bear from a kill. Maybe he did not know that so can give benefit of doubt there. Maybe a rubber bullet or other projectile but a banger no. I guess I would not kept myself in a dangerous position if bangers were clearly not working and just retreat inside. If the bear was trying to get inside that is a completely different situation. I know people where the bear was trying to get into their garage with then on the other side of door. They hit with bear spray through the hole that bear had created at a range of 1". Was very effective.
    By the time the bear killed the goat, it was way too late. People shouldn't do shit like keep goats in a hog wire pen where blackies are common as deer. But people do, and when a marauding bear comes the law always has to fall on the side of people, as unjust as it may be for the bear.
    I think that sucks, but it has to be like that. And you can't fine people for creating an ursine attractive nuisance for keeping milk goats without impinging on their lawful freedom to keep goats.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Son of a bitch, hence my comment on gnarly ass fines. And when with the dogs in the wild, I try really hard to give all wild life all the room in the world. I know my two would die defending me. I better start carrying bear spray when out in the wild.
    That might look a little moto in Coronado...But yeah, usually what happens is the shiteaters find the grizzlies and lead them right back to you as they're fleeing for their lives...

People are fucking morons.

One of the 1st handouts I give on any job site I manage spells out very clearly in Engrish and Spanish. DO NOT LEAVE ANY FOOD WASTE ON THE JOB SITE, not for an hour and not overnight.

Fuckheads still throw their left over bologna samwich in the dumpsters.

And then the bears start to show up.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

It's like leaving a full trash can in your kitchen accessible to dogs, then you punish them for getting into it. You just set them up for failure.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    Yeah, I can tell you stories about that tactic.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunion 2020 View Post
    People are fucking morons.

One of the 1st handouts I give on any job site I manage spells out very clearly in Engrish and Spanish. DO NOT LEAVE ANY FOOD WASTE ON THE JOB SITE, not for an hour and not overnight.

Fuckheads still throw their left over bologna samwich in the dumpsters.

And then the bears start to show up.
    People are fucking morons. I remember many times watching construction workers feeding bears out their vehicles on our way to the big EZ. We were clearing a plot in spanish peaks a while back and we had 3 people running saws and 1 guy on the excavator when a grizz sow and 3 cubs decided to turn at our vehicles and head straight towards us. I wouldn't have believed you could fit 4 people in the cab of an excavator but we did. Bear didnt give 2 fucks about the chainsaws and stuck around for awhile afterwards as we continued clearing.

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Yeah, I can tell you stories about that tactic.
    Back b4 E911, in a little rural part of the world, unscrupulous ruffians would tie a flashlight on a goat, then, quick as a flash, they would drive someplace 15-20 miles away and call the cops, to report spotlighters. The cops would pass them off to the game warden, of which there were 2 per county, and they alternated shifts. So the game warden, maybe with a couple cops in tow, was 15mi away chasing a goat around a field instead of busting the real spotlighters.
    A couple of them outlaws had their pictures on the covers of magazines celebrating their good fortune and awesome hunting skills!

But it's Stolen Valor, and they know it.