Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

basically broke everything riding park at Angel Fire.

5 broken ribs. broken clavicle. broken scapula. collapsed lung. cavity between where lung was and where it moved to filled with blood. airlifted out to Santa Fe hospital. two surgeries, one to plate the ribs, and one to put a titanium rod in my clavicle. Spent a week in the hospital with tubes sticking out of me everywhere, three on oxygen. currently finally able to be up and about, left side feels like someone had at it with a sledgehammer. Lungs don't work very well anymore. Can't walk up a flight of stairs without getting lightheaded. Can't talk for more than a couple sentences or the same.

anyone here broke the ribs? how long did it take to get your lung function back?

estimates on how long I'll be doing PT on the shoulder?

sitting around instead of riding is making me bananas.
    Last edited by blackalps; 07-14-2020 at 09:07 PM.

Fuck! Heal up dood. You had a good one. Ribs take a while. Ive broken 10 at this point. Mainly theyre just uncomfortable for a few weeks then linger for a few more but i think its your internal injuries that will stall that a touch. They internal injury is priority i'd think. Time to rest for internal healing. For the clavicle, i just came off a broken collar bone(2nd one) and ive broken the shoulder socket and the arm at that socket. You'll probably be 6-8 weeks before pt but hopefully you'll be able to spin leading up to that to get some blood flowing to the injuries, if the internals have healed. Best of luck. Lots of summer fall yet. Youll be back on it

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by blackalps View Post
    5 broken ribs. broken clavicle. broken scapula. collapsed lung. cavity between where lung was and where it moved to filled with blood. airlifted out to Santa Fe hospital. two surgeries, one to plate the ribs, and one to put a titanium rod in my clavicle. Spent a week in the hospital with tubes sticking out of me everywhere, three on oxygen. currently finally able to be up and about, left side feels like someone had at it with a sledgehammer. Lungs don't work very well anymore. Can't walk up a flight of stairs without getting lightheaded. Can't talk for more than a couple sentences or the same.

anyone here broke the ribs? how long did it take to get your lung function back?

FUUUUUCKKKKK....heal up man. That's a rough one!

Never broken a rib, but cracked two in a crash. I'm sorry to say, it takes about 100 years for ribs to heal. Everything will be fine for a few months...but you'll still feel pain if you're doing aerobic stuff.

EDIT: What Grinch said...it's not that they're super painful after a bit...it's just that the pain will still be there...even after everything is seemingly healed.

Rest and get well!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Dammmmmn. How did you manage this? I donít think Evil Knevil busted himself that bad.

This makes my puny mangled wrist nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Hey man sorry to hear this, thatís a fuckin dinger you pulled. Just coming off a broken collarbone and thumb. Havent ridden since May 9 so I feel ya on the restlessness. You arenít alone! Fucking mountain bikes man...

No worries about the collarbone, thatíll heal up in a couple months. Keep it still for the first few weeks then basic ROM and banded exercises. Iím 8 weeks in and have nearly full function back already. No surgery but I heard it heals faster with surgery like yours. Keep us posted, youíll be on it again soon!

++vibes

Oh, and quit crashing.

is the bike ok?

Angel Fire is teh gnar. What trail?

Somebody looking after your dog?

Ribs seem to take forever to heal so you forget about them completely, but it'll get better in a couple of months.

Take care man.

Scheisse. I was in an accident where I broke 7 ribs, some displaced and a tibia. You will be sleeping at a 90 degree angle for 4 weeks. Really no P/T but rest for me. Maybe short walks, which are best in a pool. I tried to float or swim a bit, and I sunk right to the bottom.
    Heal up, man. Take care of yourself.
    ďA society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.Ē
    ― Milton Friedman

Ouch

Easy on the trigger finger
    Heal first

Bummer

As much as it hurts, try to breathe as deeply as possible and avoid colds ect. I got a nice cold 10 years ago with a couple of broken ribs and it was not fun. About 6 weeks back then for heeling to a level I could ski comfortably.

Good luck with your rehab.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Dude, that sucks! Curious, how’d you get down off the hill?

Sounds like he bounced down the whole thing hitting anything and everything along the way...

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Pretty sure AF has a bike patrol.

But fucking getting stretchered off those trails. It'd hurt nearly as much as the fall.

Holy shitballs, that's one of the worst wrecks I've ever heard of.

I did the clavicle/scapula combo five years ago. Clavicle fx was pretty bad (lots of displacement and comminuted), so did a surgical ORIF with a superior plate. I stopped using a sling completely within a week, had full ROM in 8 weeks, MTBing in 12 weeks, deadlifting 300 lbs for reps in 6 months.

You should be doing basic shoulder PT already. Not doing so will only lengthen your recovery and risk developing "frozen shoulder" syndrome which will require even more PT to fix. I'm talking very, very basic stuff. Pendulums, shoulder shrugs, shoulder blade pinches, arm raises to <90*, etc.

You need to be working with an actual PT, but here's a good document that breaks down the general protocol you're looking at:
    https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...0efnTCVlBvFae6

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Pendulums, shoulder shrugs, shoulder blade pinches, arm raises to <90*, etc.

You need to be working with an actual PT, but here's a good document that breaks down the general protocol you're looking at:
    Pendulums for sure, start off just by letting your arm hang and only swinging as far as comfortable.

thanks guys. It's been hell. The hospital stay was the worst part (Well, second to the trip from the trail down to the base). a nightmare week of tubes coming out of my body everywhere and utter hell with the anesthesiologist changing my meds every 5 minutes. sweats, puking, hallucinations, you name it. I'm up and about and can drive and walk my dog now, but talking or walking up stairs makes me really lightheaded.

Quote Originally Posted by Elkhound Odin View Post
    Dammmmmn. How did you manage this? I don’t think Evil Knevil busted himself that bad.

This makes my puny mangled wrist nothing.
    I actually don't know. I hit my head pretty hard and blacked out, so I don't remember the crash or a few minutes before it. I had the highest safety rated helmet I could find (multiple crash rated DH full face), it cracked in 3 places. I was riding alone, so no one saw it. I dont even remember what trail I was on, although I have an idea based on what I had ridden in earlier in the day. I was actually "taking it easy" because it was my first day at Angel Fire, which is probably why I crashed. I'm pretty sure I was riding a new-to-me section of a blue jump line I had ridden part of earlier in the day. The best I can figure is that I either overshot a jump and landed to flat, or came up short, cased it and then bounced to flat. Probably the latter.

The really lame part is that I had moved to Taos for the summer just to ride AF and bought a non refundable season pass, so I paid $400 for the right to smash myself to pieces on my first day of the park season. Luckily, I at least was able to ride Moab, Sedona, Pisgah, and Bentonville in the month or so before the crash.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    is the bike ok?
    weirdly, my bike is fine. just broke my Timber bell. I had a brand new jersey and brand new bibs and shorts that they cut off me, though.

Quote Originally Posted by N1CK. View Post
    Angel Fire is teh gnar. What trail?

Somebody looking after your dog?

Ribs seem to take forever to heal so you forget about them completely, but it'll get better in a couple of months.

Take care man.
    I think I was on Boulder Dash, but I'm not sure. someone was taking care of my dog but she's with me now. I'm staying with friends and they're helping walk her etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post

But fucking getting stretchered off those trails. It'd hurt nearly as much as the fall.
    ugh. it was hell. another rider found me unconsious and called bike patrol. Bike patrol showed up and put me on a stretcher and carried me out. They almost dropped me. I could feel all my ribs and my collarbone grinding the whole time, the pain was unbearable. Then, they put me on the back of a golf cart/side by side thing and drove me out to meet the ambulance. The bike patrol dude got freaked because I kept saying I couldnt breathe, so his solution was to drive as fast as possible. Pure and utter hell. I was screaming at him to slow down, I was afraid he was going to make one of my ribs puncture my lung if it hadn't already. He refused and yelled back that he was helping me and I needed to shut up. anyway, finally got to the ambulance, did another few miles of offroad, finally hit the highway, and then got put into a helicopter and airlifted out to Santa Fe.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Holy shitballs, that's one of the worst wrecks I've ever heard of.

I did the clavicle/scapula combo five years ago. Clavicle fx was pretty bad (lots of displacement and comminuted), so did a surgical ORIF with a superior plate. I stopped using a sling completely within a week, had full ROM in 8 weeks, MTBing in 12 weeks, deadlifting 300 lbs for reps in 6 months.

You should be doing basic shoulder PT already. Not doing so will only lengthen your recovery and risk developing "frozen shoulder" syndrome which will require even more PT to fix. I'm talking very, very basic stuff. Pendulums, shoulder shrugs, shoulder blade pinches, arm raises to <90*, etc.

thanks. that timeline is encouraging. If I miss another ski season for a bike injury (only skied 5 days last year due to a PCL tear and then covid shutdown), I'm gonna be pissed.

My docs in Santa Fe were pretty useless and didn't give me a recovery plan. I'm seeing my local doc tomorrow to get started on rehabbing.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    I know, I was wondering about their technique. I did EMT duty a couple times at the Glorieta NM Big Mtn Enduro, and i was always pretty worried about extraction for someone as fucked up and a long ways from the road. I’m used to toboggan/snow transportation.

ugh. it was hell. another rider found me unconsious and called bike patrol. Bike patrol showed up and put me on a stretcher and carried me out. They almost dropped me. I could feel all my ribs and my collarbone grinding the whole time, the pain was unbearable. Then, they put me on the back of a golf cart/side by side thing and drove me out to meet the ambulance. The bike patrol dude got freaked because I kept saying I couldnt breathe, so his solution was to drive as fast as possible. Pure and utter hell. I was screaming at him to slow down, I was afraid he was going to make one of my ribs puncture my lung if it hadn't already. He refused and yelled back that he was helping me and I needed to shut up. anyway, finally got to the ambulance, did another few miles of offroad, finally hit the highway, and then got put into a helicopter and airlifted out to Santa Fe.
    Sounds fucking rough man. I don’t know how your vitals were - maybe you were O2 satting low or had a really tachy heart rate or a blown pupil or something that freaked out the cart driver and he wanted to get you to ALS in a bf hurry.

Anyway, get well soon. I’m downriver from you in the capital, so let me know if you need a little help with anything.

thanks, I'm actually back in Denver now. I don't know anyone in SF and was having a pretty hard time without help.

AF was my first lift served DH experience with full body armor and full on DH bike. After several full splats where I pretty seriously stoved both shoulders I could no longer hold onto the bike. Learned that Iím better suited for the all mountain category. Guess Iím a pussy.

...But this isnít all about me. Wishing the best to OP crash test dummy (said in jest). PT is the way out of this hole. Heal up bud. Vibes.

thanks, I'm actually back in Denver now. I don't know anyone in SF and was having a pretty hard time without help.
    At least you can get beer delivered and have access to edibles.

Feel free to PM me if your dog is getting antsy and needs a walk. Vibes man.

Thanks dude

Fuck. I hate to say it, but it seems every time I've broken ribs, I developed a cough shortly thereafter. That should get your lung fluids moving. The worst part is trying to keep your ribs from moving when you wrap your arms around your chest right before the cough. If it doesn't happen, I envy you.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    Fuck. I hate to say it, but it seems every time I've broken ribs, I developed a cough shortly thereafter. That should get your lung fluids moving. The worst part is trying to keep your ribs from moving when you wrap your arms around your chest right before the cough. If it doesn't happen, I envy you.

it's been a month since the crash and I haven't really developed a chronic cough. doing the incentives spirometer thing seems to help. also, the pain got much more manageable when they put the plates on my ribs. I still do the thing where I try to hold my ribs in when I do cough, though. The worst pain seems to be coming from the chest tube insertion sites. yep. I had two. good times.