Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Anyone Remember A Tiny, Tiny Shock Pump (‘04-‘05?)

I think it was made by Topeak, but I could be wrong. It was only ~6” long, had no gague, and was certainly the smallest, lightest emergency shock pump ever made. I lost mine a decade ago, and I would like to find one again. I am thinking I could fit it in my crank spindle, which would be neato.
    i have searched and searched the inter tubes to no avail.
    anyone remember such a device, or something similar?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

I have no idea if it's any good or not, but this is a thing:

http://www.birzman.com/products_2.ph...cID=15&Key=174

Ok, so I found the contemporary version (but it is a little longer)
    Topeak Microshock.

https://www.topeak.com/global/de/pro...353-microshock

Now the problem is finding one, they appear to be completely out of stock everywhere.
    I would even (GASP!!!) pay retail for one.

Does this solution have a problem? I'm genuinely curious, it only sounds snarky because this is the internet.

I got a rock stuck between my pivot and my carbon frame once (original Tallboy) that I could only get free by completely removing air from the rear shock so I could fully depress the rear end. I was probably 6 miles from the nearest road and another 5 miles on that road to any houses. I carried a shock pump at the time (but don't any more). Has only happened once, but I would have been in a bad spot if I wouldn't have had the shock pump.

Personally I would really like a combo tire/shock pump. I don't care if it doesn't do either very well as long as it would work in a pinch. Anybody know of such a thing?

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Maybe I don't understand how vpp works, but it seems like you could have removed a shock bolt to accomplish the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    Does this solution have a problem? I'm genuinely curious, it only sounds snarky because this is the internet.
    Well, I enjoy being a hero on really stupid rides when someone needs a tool or something that no one else has, if that’s good enough? Once I saved the ride of a German gal on top of Burro Pass when she accidentally let all of the air out of her fork trying to fill it with a tire pump. She bought me a case of Beck’s.
    I already carry a full size shock pump on big rides, this solution would allow me to always have it, waist pack or not.
    There is a lesson here for some of you.

Thru-biking the Arizona trail last year I met another rider whose fork had lost some air, to the point it was affecting his ride. He stupidly tried using a regular pump to add air and wound up losing all the air in the fork. No one was carrying a shock pump so he was SOL, was going to have to ride 20 miles into Payson. Another friend did carry a shock pump on AZTR and ended up needing it at one point. I didn't bring one on AZTR and fortunately didn't need it.

It's one of those things you don't need until you need it, and sometimes you really need it. For < 60g I'd carry one. A pump that could work for both tire and shock in a pinch would be even better.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Well, I enjoy being a hero on really stupid rides when someone needs a tool or something that no one else has, if that’s good enough? Once I saved the ride of a German gal on top of Burro Pass when she accidentally let all of the air out of her fork trying to fill it with a tire pump. She bought me a case of Beck’s.
    I already carry a full size shock pump on big rides, this solution would allow me to always have it, waist pack or not.
    There is a lesson here for some of you.
    Yea, hero to those types is a good enough reason for me. Bikepacking use case makes sense too, although I kinda think no one should be doing any mega remote stuff with air suspension or hydraulic brakes. 60g is decent insurance policy though. And I see a common theme with these anecdotes.

Once in Perú a guide severed my rear hydraulic line tying my bike to a Burro. It was followed by a 10,000 foot descent. That sucked, but it was really my fault for not supervising more closely. Never have had any hydro problem since, knock on carbon.

My CO2 cartridge will do both presta and schrader. Don't know how much 1 cartridge will fill a shock, but it might work in a pinch (and I carry 2 spare cartridges).

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

I carry one of these on my frame, super light and the HP version allows you to add and remove air to shocks, may not get a rear shock totally full but can handle enough pressure to get you out. A bit more of a pain in the ass to fill a flat tire but worth it to me for the use with shocks and normally I'm just adding a little air to my tires

https://ride.lezyne.com/collections/...mp-mfdr-v204hp

https://www.singletracks.com/mtb-gea...16-multi-tool/

I use this on my bike. Nice to set up shock pressure on the trail

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post

Ooh, that’s amazing. If I hadn’t already converted to the Wolftooth Encase ecosystem, I would be all over that...

Quote Originally Posted by caulfield View Post
    Maybe I don't understand how vpp works, but it seems like you could have removed a shock bolt to accomplish the same thing
    That's very possible. I have always been under the impression that the system is under load even when extended. I have never pulled shock bolts with pressure in the can.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Ooh, that’s amazing. If I hadn’t already converted to the Wolftooth Encase ecosystem, I would be all over that...
    EDIT: I guess I could buy the whole tool, and disassemble just the teeny shock pump...

EDITEDIT: Blackburn doesn’t currently offer this tool, from what I can tell.
    Last edited by rideit; 07-08-2020 at 03:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post

I'm already carrying the CB version of this so the addition of the shock pump would be perfect. Can't find one anywhere though. Anybody have a source?

also this is a shock pump and tire pump depending on switch possition

I have one and works OK for either/both

BETO MP-036

As a gearhead Yes of course I have one of those micro pumps Rideit. .

I sometimes throw it in the pack on longer rides with a motley crew. Hope you find one.

I also have one of the combo tire pump / shock pumps from ten yrs ago. It’s fucking useless.

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    I have no idea if it's any good or not, but this is a thing:

http://www.birzman.com/products_2.ph...cID=15&Key=174
    I have that and have used it on a ride (Someone had a shock with way too low pressure).
    It's tiny (<8") weighs nothing and works fine in a pinch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    After the first three seconds, Corbet's is really pretty average.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Malcolm View Post
    I mean, it's not your fault. They say talent skips a generation.
    But hey, I'm sure your kids will be sharp as tacks.

I feel like this thread needs mention of this device (and/or the guage version):

https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Pressu.../dp/B00S2REXJM

At least for those wishing to use a regular pump/CO2 in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post
    I feel like this thread needs mention of this device (and/or the guage version):

this just attaches to any pump and can be used for shock/fork? cool idea

The Lezyne mini tire pump with a screw on Schrader connection works okay in a pinch if you want to add some air to a fork. Control over the pressure isn't great, and it won't get you past ~90psi but it works in a pinch.

Quote Originally Posted by jono View Post

Now, if one end of that was Presta, it would be the ticket.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200720_183852.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	335198

Have not used yet. Tiny. No gauge. Perfect for ohshit in the pack use. Pressure a little too high or low lMO is certainly better than no pressure...

Will fuck around with it and report back.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper