guide rec--aspen/basalt area

Covid willing, will be out for a few days early to mid-August. Looking to do one day guided around Aspen, with no strong preference for wading vs. floating.

Suggestions?

How close to Aspen do you want to be? I would probably fish here in Basalt, either on the Pan or floating the Fork. Flows are currently half of what they normally are on the Fork and I don't generally float it below 800 CFS. If it gets too low, the Pan will be jam packed in August.

My best suggestion is to get on the books with the guys at Taylor Creek and tell them you are flexible and open to whatever is fishing best when you get here. They have a lot of private access on the Pan, which is a benefit when things get crowded.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

sounds good. I'll call them. Not necessary to be right in Aspen.

Scott’s my go too guy, just because he did most of the skiing as TJ in Aspen Extreme.

https://www.alignable.com/aspen-co/a...out-guides-inc

Just an FYI, the water temps on the Fork are definitely rising and it was pretty darn warm wet wading last night. it looks like we will get a break from the high temps after this weekend. I fear for how things will be in August and i won't be surprised if there is some sort of afternoon fishing ban. Ugh
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    Just an FYI, the water temps on the Fork are definitely rising and it was pretty darn warm wet wading last night. it looks like we will get a break from the high temps after this weekend. I fear for how things will be in August and i won't be surprised if there is some sort of afternoon fishing ban. Ugh
    bummer. Booked a wading day with the guys at Taylor on August 13 based on your recommendation.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    bummer. Booked a wading day with the guys at Taylor on August 13 based on your recommendation.
    I don't think that will be an issue. Taylor has access to a bunch of private water on the Pan. it will stay cold no matter what, its a tail water. You made the right choice. Picking a different shop that primarily only fishes the Fork is where the issue might come up. You will have a great time and the fishing will be fun.

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    I don't think that will be an issue. Taylor has access to a bunch of private water on the Pan. it will stay cold no matter what, its a tail water. You made the right choice. Picking a different shop that primarily only fishes the Fork is where the issue might come up. You will have a great time and the fishing will be fun.
    yes, I meant bummer in general, for you and others in the area, and the health of the fishery, not specific to me. If nothing else, I'll hike into a high country lake or 2 or hit a small high country stream (love small water anyway, even though it usually means small fish). I'll be with my wife that week, so not really a fishing trip per se outside of that one day guided.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mike View Post
    yes, I meant bummer in general, for you and others in the area, and the health of the fishery, not specific to me. If nothing else, I'll hike into a high country lake or 2 or hit a small high country stream (love small water anyway, even though it usually means small fish). I'll be with my wife that week, so not really a fishing trip per se outside of that one day guided.
    Gotcha. If you are in need of any beta when you are not with a guide, just PM me. Tons of great spots. We have been finally blessed with our afternoon showers this week and cooler temps. Fingers crossed it keeps up the rest of the month and into August!