Any Saab diy'ers in the house ?

Just picked up a 99 9-3 convertible for cheap that needed a laundry list of work. I have checked off all essential ones to make it road worthy except I have a Xmas worthy display of lights on the dash(still drives fine). Does anyone know what kind of scanner can see abs and airbag codes in a Saab ?

I'd expect any odbii to read at least the base code and point you in a direction.

I'm not a diyer but do drive an 08 Saab wagon. I love her. She's finicky though. Good luck with the new ride.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I'd expect any odbii to read at least the base code and point you in a direction.

I'm not a diyer but do drive an 08 Saab wagon. I love her. She's finicky though. Good luck with the new ride.

I tried two different scanners and no dice. My 08 9-5 has been awesome as well. Nothing new about this 99 9-3 convertible but the price was right.

Paging oftpiste

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

I wish I were more of a DIYer, but.....

I'd suggest going to see the boyz at Scanwest. They're big supporters of DIYers and know their shit.

PM me if you want my name to drop when you visit.

Chances are they'll investigate cheap or free if it doesn't take too long. Just drive in, be friendly and chill and ask them if they have time to help you out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

Not much help here. My 2007 Saab 9-3wagon has an airbag sensor fault the part no longer exists for. So when the inspection runs out in January it is dead

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Not much help here. My 2007 Saab 9-3wagon has an airbag sensor fault the part no longer exists for. So when the inspection runs out in January it is dead
    you call this place?

https://www.goldwingsaabparts.com/ the best parts spot for old saabs i know of. It truly doesnt exist if he can't get it.

I question your commitment to sparkle motion.

My local mechanic gave it a go with another seat (where the faulty sensor is) and it was a no go. Like the car, but has cracked windshield and a cracked rear lens, plus rear brakes need to be replaced soon. Time for me to let go.

Time for me to let go.
    I feared this thread would have many saab stories.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

My local mechanic gave it a go with another seat (where the faulty sensor is) and it was a no go. Like the car, but has cracked windshield and a cracked rear lens, plus rear brakes need to be replaced soon. Time for me to let go.
    Sad.... I'm going to keep line going until a repair comes along that is more than she's worth, even then might consider fixing her. 170k on clock

I saw someone in Georgia selling a similar 9-3 for $600 because of some part he can't get. If goldwing doesn't work you can try European auto dismantled(I think that's their name) in Rancho Cordova.

Familiar with Scanwest in Seattle, my bil used to use them when he rolled with an old 900.

Car done in by faulty seat sensor. Man that’s rough.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    I question your commitment to sparkle motion.
    Danno is going to expect his royalty for that.
    I still call it The Jake.

That's what electrical tape is for. Or do they plug in a obd2 scanner or some such for your dot inspection?

Cat in January, have you tried Saab central for advice ? What is the actual part and who is telling you it's not repairable ? "Official Saab service center s" are pretty shitty these days but there are decent indies out there.

Quote Originally Posted by fatnslow View Post
    Cat in January, have you tried Saab central for advice ? What is the actual part and who is telling you it's not repairable ? "Official Saab service center s" are pretty shitty these days but there are decent indies out there.
    My guy in sandy ut was amazing. He truly loves saabs. Boyd's auto in sandy.

I have been working on a covid beater Saab I purchased and am learning some interesting stuff about airbag systems. It looks like a universal auto standard of 2.2 ohm resistance from most sensors the controller looks for pass/no pass . Consequently there are multiple hacks to defeat a known bad portion of the system using a airbag sensor emulator (basically a 2.2 ohm resistor in a plastic container). Most if not all real mechanics will not resort to this type of solution but it might be something you can try. Basically you access the yellow connector of the offending sensor and plug in the emulator and see if the airbag light clears. You just need to make sure your battery is disconnected and let the airbag system's capacitors discharge. If you like the car it might be worth trying.
    Your in a pretty good situation since the offending sensor he been identified.

I’ve had a couple of SAABs, never again but the 900T 3 door was fun to drive
    “I have a responsibility to not be intimidated and bullied by low life losers who abuse what little power is granted to them as ski patrollers.”

Quote Originally Posted by snoqpass View Post
    I’ve had a couple of SAABs, never again but the 900T 3 door was fun to drive

I had a 2002 9-3 mt with the B205R HOT motor, holy fuck that was a fun car with all the torque steer you'd ever want and then some. I had to sell it before my son got a hold of it and put it upside down in a ditch or around a tree.

I'd buy another.

Thanks guys. My independent mechanic knows his way around Saab’s well. Faulty part is a sensor in the seat that is part of the airbag system. Trust he has looked for it. Car has multiple issues and has passed my line of $1,000/year of purchase price. He did manage to bypass a part in the ignition that failed a few months back that was not available any more. I will miss it as it is a six speed and my first manual since my first car 35 years ago. Engine still has kick to it.