Bay Area blue groomers?

hey y’all - I’m in Mtn View for work and I’m looking for some rides

I’m a shit mountain biker on a 29” hardtail so I’m interested in mellow single track, fire roads and pavement
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by ~mikey b View Post
    hey y’all - I’m in Mtn View for work and I’m looking for some rides

I’m a shit mountain biker on a 29” hardtail so I’m interested in mellow single track, fire roads and pavement
    Arastradero. Other than that probably just running paths out in the baylands.

Bay Area blue groomers?

Last edited by ~mikey b; 07-07-2020 at 07:00 PM.

John Nicholas Trail out and back. It's not a cruiser, there is a 1k ft climb followed by a 1k ft descent, but its a ton of fun. https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/700...nicholas-trail I've seen people on gravel bikes no problem. It's my chill post work ride.

Skyline trail is more XC small ups and downs https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/7003019/skyline-trail .You can do bottom of JNT connect to skyline for a big ride, or park at Sunnyvale mountain, saratoga gap and just ride the ridge.

awesome

I used to work for John Nicholas

If you get up to the east bay, all of Briones is what yer looking for as well.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

West Ridge trail in East Bay in addition to all the stuff in Briones.

Joaquin Miller Park has some not so hard trails (Sequoia Bayview) and some harder trails (Cinderella, Chaparral). It’s not worth an hour plus drive, but if you are in the area it’s nice.

Also call Ottime if you have his number, he’s gotten back on the bike recently after recovering his shoulder and he’s on a hardtail. He lives in north Santa Cruz and can show you Wilder SP and some other stuff.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Corte Madera open space.
    Purisima open space.
    Soquel demo forest.
    Bay trail.

Bay Area blue groomers?

I’d say Corte de Madera is just a bit above “Blue Groomer” status. Half of the trails are pretty steep when coming back up, some rock gardens, other chunder and switchbacks ... it would be easier to navigate if the parking lot weren’t at the top of the ridge. But Mikey, if you try using the Trailforks app the trail difficulty ratings should be pretty accurate ... it’s a gorgeous place, fun to ride.

Purisma Creek is much easier but not any less steep.

Soquel Demo Flow Trail is probably the definition of “advanced blue groomer sculpted for perfect effortless ski turns.” Everything else there isn’t very beginner friendly and each lap commits you to a 900’ fire road climb to get back up to the car.

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    I’d say Corte de Madera is just a bit above “Blue Groomer” status. Half of the trails are pretty steep when coming back up, some rock gardens, other chunder and switchbacks ... it would be easier to navigate if the parking lot weren’t at the top of the ridge. But Mikey, if you try using the Trailforks app the trail difficulty ratings should be pretty accurate ... it’s a gorgeous place, fun to ride.

Purisma Creek is much easier but not any less steep.

Soquel Demo Flow Trail is probably the definition of “advanced blue groomer sculpted for perfect effortless ski turns.” Everything else there isn’t very beginner friendly and each lap commits you to a 900’ fire road climb to get back up to the car.
    Its laughable that anything at Skeggs could be rated black, but thats what shows up on trailforks. Good place to get in some vert though, with longish buff descents (except for 100yards of resolution) and the best place to ride (IMO) on the peninsula. Also, if you park at the bottom on Star Hill Rd, you park accross from the gated entrance to Neil Young's ranch, and get 90% of climbing out of the way at the beginning of your ride.

No one mentioned Waterdog in Belmont. Thats a fun area as buff as you please, with 300' vert laps, and the views from the top ridge are some of the best in the Bay Area. IMO, thats the best bang for buck on the peninsula if pressed for time.

Purisima Creek is full of hikers, especially now due to Covid. Corte de Madera (AKA Skeggs) is perfectly fine for blue groomers. I learned to MTB there. Sure there's a few rocky parts but they're only like a couple hundred feet long. I've seen plenty of hardtails there.

Demo would be fine too, but keep in mind that the berms are full of bomb holes due to all the noobs out due to Covid, so your hardtail experience will be a bit zesty.

Where specifically in the bay area are you?

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    Where specifically in the bay area are you?
    hey y’all - I’m in Mtn View for work
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

It’s less confusing if you put the OP’s answer in quotes

Mikey, I’d happily show you around, dunno if you heard the chatter that I moved up to Eugene Oregon 3 years ago. Seriously though give ottime a ring. He’s been riding with his son a lot lately as well, I’m sure he’d love to hear all the things Owen is up to these days!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

If you and/or Owen come to ride Demo Forest I can show you around

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

thanks guys

Have fun!