Page 15 of 32 FirstFirst ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Jesus. Ncskier reads us the riot act on manuals in Merica as if we needed that today. Off to bed.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Not being a downer. But EV sales have surpassed manual sales in the US.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    You can select 2wd 4wd or a hybrid type 4 auto which is kinda like awd. You just push the mode you want

Aha - did not see that as an option and I’ve gone pretty far down the hole on this. Makes sense though from the dial pictures, but I haven’t seen it described as you did. Thanks

I dropped off my 03 tacoma at a high volume dealership for a yearly oil change.
    When they didn’t bring it around, the service writer admitted not a single employee, mechanic, salesman etc. could drive a manual and return the car to me. So I had to go into the bay and drive it home.
    Holy. Shit.

I can understand no one there being a MT savant. But, not a single damn person there knew enough to just put it in 1st, slowly let out the clutch, drive it around the building at 5 mph, then park it? Actually, wait, I get it, not a one of them probably knew about the clutch interlock and could even get it started. Christ, how old am I (answer: not that old, yet)?

I had a 6sp MT Gen2 Xterra for a number of years. Holy christ that thing was fun to drive, hardly a day goes by that part of me doesn't regret selling it. My F150 is far more practical for all the bike hauling I do and drives "fine," but it's such a turd in comparison to the X. The X was a Nissan product and had its share of issues as well, but driving it was fun as shit. It seriously bums me out to think that I may never own a MT vehicle again.
    Last edited by Dantheman; 07-16-2020 at 01:37 PM.

You can select 2wd 4wd or a hybrid type 4 auto which is kinda like awd. You just push the mode you want

Aha - did not see that as an option and I’ve gone pretty far down the hole on this. Makes sense though from the dial pictures, but I haven’t seen it described as you did. Thanks

Why would the hybrid option be needed? In or out seems simple enough. Hybrid seems like it belongs on a mall driving Tahoe.

I dropped off my 03 tacoma at a high volume dealership for a yearly oil change.
    When they didn’t bring it around, the service writer admitted not a single employee, mechanic, salesman etc. could drive a manual and return the car to me. So I had to go into the bay and drive it home.
    Good lord, I don't even want to think of what they did to the clutch driving it into the service bay that made them realize, "we can't do that to this car again."

Quote Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post

Why would the hybrid option be needed? In or out seems simple enough. Hybrid seems like it belongs on a mall driving Tahoe.
    I've never had something with that set up, but I think it's ideal for driving on surfaces that are sometimes grippy, sometimes slippery. Like driving in the winter where the roads are mostly dry with snowy spots.

It was always stressful when I used to live on the front range and had to get the yearly emissions done on my pig. I hated seeing that thing get jerked around on the dynamo like that, and it would usually take 3 or 4 tries with different shitbag testers giving their shot at trying to shift it smooth enough without tripping the computer and requiring a restart. One guy grinded the gears right after I had a clutch replacement. I yelled at him and asked for a new tester. "Sorry ma'am". Drove me absolutely fucking nuts.

I had a '94 Pathfinder with manual. Like was said above about the Xterra, it was so much fun to drive. Absolutely ate up the snow with Grabber MT's. It died an early death in near perfect condition except for a rotten frame. I used to clean that thin g religiously. Super shitty design that, had I noticed it earlier, I could have totally prevented with POR15.

When I was shopping for my Jeep, I wanted a Renegade, built, in Root Beer brown, manual. The one I found was near mint, but with a TH400 conversion. They guy I bought it from was setting it up to be a crawler. I think there is something to be said for a strong MT and crawling. Now that I am used to it, I wouldn't trade. It is pretty nice to be able to drink a coffee and drive it.

Agreed with Warthog. I love driving manuals...my FJ40 would just feel wrong with a slush box.

That said, driving a stick in traffic sucks ass and gets old fast.

I'll be getting the 10 speed.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Is this 2.3 the guts of the same 2.3 that was in Rangers and mail trucks?

As discussed previously, it’s the 2015+ engine in various products: https://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-m...oboost-engine/
    And in the Ranger can be OEM chipped to 315 I’m told.

Quote Originally Posted by frorider View Post
    As discussed previously, it’s the 2015+ engine in various products: https://fordauthority.com/fmc/ford-m...oboost-engine/
    And in the Ranger can be OEM chipped to 315 I’m told.
    And according to that link, it makes up to 350 hp in other OEM applications (Focus RS) and makes 310 in one of the standard Mustang configurations, so it would seem well able to handle the bump without deleterious long term effects.

2021 FORD BRONCO REVEAL

I think a manual with Sasquatch 35s would need a 5.1 final drive. This additional ring a pinon combo complicates the supply chain and make corporate accountants unhappy.

We don't currently own a vehicle with a MT, but my kids are going to learn to drive a stick even if it means buying a clapped out old Civic for them to learn in. Better yet, I find an old hunk of American iron that the boy and I can fix up.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Driving a stick is one of those skills that if people don't have it, I automatically think less of them. I'm sure some people think I'm an a-hole but at least I can drive a stick and change my own tires.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Driving a stick is one of those skills that if people don't have it, I automatically think less of them. I'm sure some people think I'm an a-hole but at least I can drive a stick and change my own tires.
    Same here. I am very good at driving manuals smoothly and precisely. It comes from a dad that taught me how to double clutch on backroads when I was a kid in a little BMW and driving 10 speeds with no synchros most of my life. It is an important skill only to me though. Nobody else cares and it is an obsolete skill now that trucks are mostly dual clutch automatics. It was always a pleasure taking someone out and shifting through ten gears with no clutching and no shudder at all. On the other hand my off roading skills are marginal at best so it balances out and I still own two manuals to practice my self serving craft.

Anybody else see this? Engineering Explained dude telling us about the Bronco crawler ratio. Pretty cool. 1000 rpm at 1 mph.

Same video on FB
    https://www.facebook.com/26205963383...4424289266926/
    Last edited by uglymoney; 07-23-2020 at 11:11 AM.

People think I'm an a-hole but at least I can drive a stick and change my own tires.
    I’d buy this t-shirt

Badlands comparo.

I hate to say this, as I am a Ford and Toyota guy through-and-through. I HATE the way GMC's drive--loose and like a mattress. But....

This past week my wife's German rocket ship had its 10th failure in a year and we said sprekens de fuck off. My wife replaced it with a 2021 Tahoe with the Z71 package (that was my doing, admittedly).

Ho-lee-shit. Those bowtie folks definitely figured shit out. It steers and handles tight, like a Toyota. The visibility is WAY improved and the interior is clean and intuitive. On the way home from Boise, I suggested we take the "bat cave" which is a ~20 mile BLM road to our house instead of the highway we generally take. It's a mixture of dusty gravel and also grated mining road--basically smooth and fast and also really rough and bumpy in places. That fucking mom-wagon was GLUED to the road in 2WD. I was pinning it (wife screaming) and I couldn't get it to budge to save my life, and the ride was similar to my old 80 series with remote Bilsteins. Only criticism is that with it's increased size over old Tahoe, it definitely feels heavier, which is good and bad. We got the 5.3L but a Z71 with the 6.2 would be the teats.

As painful as it is for me to say, they nailed that package.

Carry on.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Ditching the solid rear axle will do wonders to that truck. I had a 2012 Tahoe and swapped it out for the Expedition but I probably would have stayed with Chevy if they had IRS in 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Badlands comparo.

Stick to your guns, Badlands is the way to go.

35’s are cool and all but IMO overkill on a primarily street vehicle.

Question

I remember seeing the pictures of the Bronco Montana Lobo and thinking WoW

It only took 40 years for that to happen again
    riser4 - Ignore me! Please!

Kenny Satch - With pleasure

Did that thing come with Indiana Brokeback there too?
    I still call it The Jake.

2021 FORD BRONCO REVEAL

I actually think it’ll be a useless skill in their lifetimes, but I learned on a stick and only owned them until a couple years ago (which bothers me) and I think it makes you pay more attention and be a better driver. It’s also a dad duty. I tried to teach my wife and it didn’t go well. It bugged me for years until a friend pointed out that it was her dad that failed her, not me. I can’t put another man through what I had to endure.
    Remind me. We'll send him a red cap and a Speedo.

Manual is definitely becoming a useless skill, but it is more fun and enjoyable drive for me. I guess I'm a control freak about the car performance, and it makes me feel like a racer driver. With the emergence of EVs it won't be around much longer though. I figured I might as well get one while I could, it wasn't easy to find though.