Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Will bump to a larger narrow wide chain ring.

I have all the Allen keys I need I think, but what tool or tools do I need to take off/reinstall a crank?

Also do I need a clutch deraillieur?
    wait!!!! waitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwaitwait...Wait!
    Zoolander wasn't a documentary?

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Will bump to a larger narrow wide chain ring.

I have all the Allen keys I need I think, but what tool or tools do I need to take off/reinstall a crank?

Also do I need a clutch deraillieur?
    If it’s an old square taper crank you need a crank puller

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Do I dare build a bike?

There’s multiple YouTube videos showing you how to do every single thing on your bike. I use it with the iPad and a pause button and I get through most anything.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Do I dare build a bike?

Has the collective convinced Supre that, each week, pulling his top cap and stem, unscrewing his brake from the fork, picking up his various lower headset bearing cartridge and bits off the ground after they fall there, placing them on the other fork, screwing back in and re aligning the brake, then retightening top cap and stem, is a good idea yet?

If so I’ll grab the popcorn. Subscribed!

I'll be there."
    ... Andy Campbell

I find building a bike up to be incredibly cost effective at the upper end, especially if you have some time on your hands. Drivetrains/brakes/wheels can be cheap AF coming from China in OEM packaging. I can replicate a 9k build for under 6 in most instances.

Yeah I know, dentists

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

Quote Originally Posted by detrusor View Post
    I find building a bike up to be incredibly cost effective at the upper end, especially if you have some time on your hands. Drivetrains/brakes/wheels can be cheap AF coming from China in OEM packaging. I can replicate a 9k build for under 6 in most instances.

Yeah I know, dentists

This ^^^^

Absolutely part of the plan

Quote Originally Posted by SchralphMacchio View Post
    Has the collective convinced Supre that, each week, pulling his top cap and stem, unscrewing his brake from the fork, picking up his various lower headset bearing cartridge and bits off the ground after they fall there, placing them on the other fork, screwing back in and re aligning the brake, then retightening top cap and stem, is a good idea yet?

If so I’ll grab the popcorn. Subscribed!
    This ^^^
    is no longer part of the plan.

Starting small -
    Have a crank tool, narrow wide chainring and a rigid fork that will make my 26” stumpy a little more slack on order.

Will plan to transform that into a flat bar gravel/commuter.

If that little project drains me of my life force, I’ll probably just buy a new mtb.

If it’s at all rewarding, I’ll try a build.

Update. 1x upgrade completed.

-Swapped a 44-34-24 for a 36t single. -Added a master link to the chain.
    -ditched the front derailleur and shifter.
    -Shed some weight.

Cockpit is cleaner. Initial ride went fine. Chain and crank both stayed on. Awaiting a rigid fork, time to retire the 20 year old SID.

Only issue - gearing jumps around unpredictably. Especially on climbs or when throwing the hammer down. Bike will just half jump to a new gear without me asking it to. Do I need to remove links from the chain? Some other part I need?

Thanks all

Quote Originally Posted by SupreChicken View Post
    Update. 1x upgrade completed.

-Swapped a 44-34-24 for a 36t single. -Added a master link to the chain.
    -ditched the front derailleur and shifter.
    -Shed some weight.

Cockpit is cleaner. Initial ride went fine. Chain and crank both stayed on. Awaiting a rigid fork, time to retire the 20 year old SID.

Only issue - gearing jumps around unpredictably. Especially on climbs or when throwing the hammer down. Bike will just half jump to a new gear without me asking it to. Do I need to remove links from the chain? Some other part I need?

Thanks all
    Or should I just listen to the internet and adjust the tension of the shifting cables?

Listen to the internet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Also double check you don't have a bent hanger if tension adjustments don't fix your issue

How old/worn was that chain? Could need a new one - measure to see if it is "stretched". Then check tension if the chain is OK.

Do I dare build a bike?

Chain tension fixed. Shifts great. Chain prob should be replaced, but that can come later.

Installing a new fork has become one of the most suicidal thought provoking exercises of my life.

I can’t get the slotted ring to install flush into the upper bearing. It sits a little above. And the cap and spacers don’t sit flush as a result. There is a gap between the upper bearing ring and the cap/spacers. And multiple attempts at this install later, the bearing ring has lost multiple ball bearings and every time the bearing ring opens, I’m ready to toss myself off my deck.

Edit: there are at least 6 missing ball bearings from the upper ring

Taking it to a shop and paying retail for this stupid part and then labor cost would feel like a $100 ticket to admit to monumental failure.

Rather avoid that. I think the fork is a 1 1/8” straight tube. Just buy a new upper bearing? New headset entirely? Pay the shop? What’s the move?

How much of a gap are we talking? It's normal for there to be a little bit of one.

As far as the bearings go, a LBS should have individual replacement loose balls

Can you post some pics of what you're working with, and of that "bearing ring"?
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

If you have ball bearings in your headset, it can be replaced and upgraded very inexpensively and generally the shop guys will pull and push on the new one for a six pack.

Put an old sheet or bedspread down below where you are working on your bike. It catches the stuff you drop so it doesn't fly off the deck or across the cement. Get twice as many bearings as you need. This will cost you about a dollar extra and then you'll have extras when you screw up and drop the next one.

You tube is awesome. They have dedicated chain length videos for chain length if gear hoping continues to be an issue for you.
    Last edited by Canada1; 07-21-2020 at 01:40 PM.

A good layer of grease will keep the balls from falling out.

Do I dare build a bike?

Quote Originally Posted by HAB View Post
    How much of a gap are we talking? It's normal for there to be a little bit of one.

As far as the bearings go, a LBS should have individual replacement loose balls
    Edit: 1-2mm. Will hit up a local bike shop tomorrow, I hope
    Last edited by SupreChicken; 07-21-2020 at 07:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Can you post some pics of what you're working with, and of that "bearing ring"?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7069.JPG 
Views:	66 
Size:	219.9 KB 
ID:	335305

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_7071.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	205.7 KB 
ID:	335306

That looks like a cartridge bearing that has come apart. I think you need a new bearing.
    It doesn't look like a loose ball cup-and-cone type headset.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Yes new bearing. Not serviceable

Appreciate all the help. My sequence of parts in the headset was wrong and I’ve solved that. Will ride as is starting tomorrow. Upgrade the headset a bit later.

Unrelated: how do all you TGR bros who don’t have bike pro form, who love gear and who proudly refuse to pay retail approach buying/owning bikes?

Pink bike? Any other outlets? Recommendations?

I've bought a few used bikes on eBay. Obviously some risk (all were carbon frames) but easy transactions and it worked out OK. I always assume I'll need to do some work on the bike afterwards (one had a shot headset, both needed new chain, cables, tires) as well as dealing with cockpit preference issues (stem, bars, grips, saddle).

I also keep my ear to the ground in the neighborhood on NextDoor and the like. A lot of people have an inflated idea of what their bike is worth (usually based on what they paid 10-15 years ago and the fact that they've hardly ridden it) but occasionally there's a deal. Saw a neighbor getting rid of an old Scott Spark with a broken fork. Bought it from them for $100, found a used Reba on eBay, converted the wheels to tubeless and installed new tires, new chain and cables, tuned it up, installed a dropper, and had a nice carbon FS bike with full XT for my daughter for under $500.

^^^craigslist, too. You have to be vigilant, though.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I think I’m in the market for a mountain bike, not a frame. I’d say more frustrating than rewarding. Turning into some twisted bipolar version of bevergeusegreene without quite as much minimally used gear.