Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Diving Boards

Diving Boards

Had a nice 3 hour session at a pool in Erie PA over the holiday. I forgot how much fun a diving board can be to session.

Got my 9 year old doing perfect form can openers with a splash that goes about 2x the height of the board.
    She will be a force when she gains a little weight.
    She also had never done a real dive off a diving board. I taught her the steps and the cadence, and she had it dialed in 2 tries.
    Really proud of her.
    My oldest is almost 13, and in full on Daria mode right now, so I will give her a pass. She still did a couple good form dives and some cannonballs.

I pulled out the line card. Big old can openers, jacknife, 1 and a half, front flip, back flip, and my favorite- The Hawaiian ( full height dive with double ankle grab- tuck into a ball as you hit the water. If done properly, creates one of the biggest splashes and concussions of all.)
    It was a blast. Just me and all the kids. Every once in a while a dad bod would come up and get schooled.

So much fun. I have to mix that in a lot more often. I am sore as hell 2 days later, and I have a huge bruise on the one thigh where I land my can opener.
    Gonna go hit up the high dive at the local pool once they hopefully open up.

Diving boards rule.

This was the best addition to the family cottage.

Nice!!!
    We used to call your "Hawaiian" dive as a Depthcharge. We used to do them on the 5m board and get all the poolside loungers soaked. Funny.
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I am thinking of making a platform out of thick Starboard for the front of the boat.

We have a pulpit that sticks out perfectly, and is pretty useless space.
    If we jump off from that spot, it is probably about 6 or 7 ft to the water.
    Hmmm- sounds like Covid project number 432

Cantaloupe,Pineapple and Watermelon were the three basics from the Midwest. 3 meter or nothing...

Straight Cannonball is ineffective for splash. My specialty was preachers cannonball which more like a modified cantaloupe.

We had a high dive at the pool I went to as a kid. And being a kid, it was really high. Feet first straight up. Have never been on one since.
    Now rocks and a couple bridges are another things.

I found seaters provided the biggest splash., legs straight out and go in feet first at about a 70 degree angle. I think I'm describing that correctly. Did anybody do those, maybe calling it something different?

/\pineapple

Cantaloupe is where you hold one leg.

Diving Boards

I had a partial swim scholarship to Indiana my freshman year.
    For an easy A, we all took diving from the Olympic diving coach, Hobie Billingsley.
    If you did exactly as he instructed, you were fine. Any deviation and you were in for a world of hurt.

I miss my puddly shit board.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1471.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	2.11 MB 
ID:	333655

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Cantaloupe is where you hold one leg.
    Is that the same as a can opener?

Quote Originally Posted by skuff View Post
    Is that the same as a can opener?
    Yes

Watermelon for the splash win, at least for me.

I had a lot of fun off diving boards. Now they seem to have been nanny insured off the island.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

I approve everything about this thread.

Just makes me so sad to walk by the neighborhood pool every single day to see it still locked down - diving board and all.
    I still call it The Jake.

I first dove off of the middle board when I was 9, did my first 1 1/2 off there when I was 13, and dove off the top of the slide when I was 15. This pool was drained every night, and refilled again. For a couple of summers, I was a life guard there during the day and then scrubbed it at night. Chelsea Pool, Long Branch, NJ.

Name:  Screen Shot 2020-07-05 at 6.45.59 PM.png
Views: 459
Size:  553.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

Drained every night? Was it salt?

Where I grew up in Simsbury, CT, we had a town pool/golf/tennis. Basically it was our own town country club. If you had an address in town, you were a member.
    They had a similar setup. 3 diving boards. 2 regular spring boards and one spring board high dive. Difference was, it was a dive specific pool. 12 ft deep. We had "adult" swim every 15 minutes. All the high school and college kids over 18 would put on a show for us kids. We would all line the edge of the pool with our feet in the water and goad them into splashing us. The moves off the high dive still haunt me. Some of those guys would get so close to hitting the deck, they would just reach out after they landed and grab the ladder. The good old days. That high dive disappeared some time in the late 90's. The other 2 boards are still in service though.

Yes. Salt water. COLD!
    I had the exact same experience. I used to freakout/marvel at these teenagers doing full gainors off that middle board. I remember that they taught me a "dive" that I still love. It's called a Jersey Bouncer. To do it, walk out to the end of the board and turn around, so that your back is to the pool. Sit up straight on the board, so that your ass just jutted over the end of the board. Stretch out your legs and stand, so that your feet are where they would be when sitting. Then, just let yourself fall back. Your ass would hit the board and you would do a backflip into the water.
    Not quite a triple lindy, but still fun.
    ....I did dive off of this pier a couple of times:
    Name:  images.jpeg
Views: 414
Size:  11.9 KB

It’s old, and not to code, but the minis love it......

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F9E1BF65-8FA5-4E7B-88BF-0B6C964A5E2E.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	646.8 KB 
ID:	333676
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

We had a kid in the neighborhood we called "Big Steve". He was famous for the "Bernardi Big Butt Bomber". Damn near emptied our above ground pool.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post

We had "adult" swim every 15 minutes. All the high school and college kids over 18 would put on a show for us kids. We would all line the edge of the pool with our feet in the water and goad them into splashing us. The moves off the high dive still haunt me. Some of those guys would get so close to hitting the deck, they would just reach out after they landed and grab the ladder. The good old days. That high dive disappeared some time in the late 90's. The other 2 boards are still in service though.
    We had a similar thing at the local Y outdoor pool growing up. Dreaded adult swim, but had fun getting splashed.
    Schindler I am not far from Long Branch, although I've never gone to the pool there.

It's no longer there. Prime property gone the way of condos. F**King Kushner family.

Death Diving in Norway. Skip to 3:00 for the "diving"

Love the form- kinda like lawn darts in skiing.

My wife was a gorgeous diver. When we'd take the kids to the Truckee HS pool people would stop what they were doing and watch when she started diving. She wasn't doing anything difficult, just looked damn good doing it. Age 40.
    Not diving but here she is in college.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	emilie on beam 2.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	333683

Don't ask to see her tits. She didn't have any back then.