Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

summer rain jacket?

I have an old Patagonia Torrentshell, 2l, now delaminating.
    Thinking of replacing it with the new 3l same model, but i'd also appreciate something more breathable and no clammy.
    Many years ago i had a great Marmot MICA, but eventually got stolen in Bali.
    Any suggestion is highly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Ask Patagonia what they think about your Torrentshell and they might replace it for ya

sure, thanks. However i wonder if the new torrentshell is the right product or should i move to a new brand/model/fabric

I must say I've been impressed by my TNF Futurelight jacket. May not be quite as perfect as the marketing but it's the only waterproof I've ever left on when the rain stopped becasue i stopped noticing i was wearing it...

(issues with TNF aware)

Look for a goretex paclite shell on sale. I like the BD Liquid Point. Most of the outdoor brands have one that MSRPs for $250 and goes on sale for $150...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    Ask Patagonia what they think about your Torrentshell and they might replace it for ya
    x2 That's a pretty damn good jacket, tough to beat even with new tech. Mine is 10 yo and still rock solid. Wish I had a different color though.

Quote Originally Posted by 54-46 View Post
    My wife's was delaminating a couple years ago, we took it to the patagonia store and offered us either $20 credit to recycle it or the newer version of the same jacket, so she got a new one. They'll likely do the same for you.

Quote Originally Posted by snowaddict91 View Post
    My wife's was delaminating a couple years ago, we took it to the patagonia store and offered us either $20 credit to recycle it or the newer version of the same jacket, so she got a new one. They'll likely do the same for you.
    I walked into the Patagonia Reno store a few years ago with same issue. They told me that it was beyond the useful life of the jacket and that I was SOL. I was flabbergasted. I mailed the jacket to them as a warranty item (also to the Reno store), and they gave us store credit.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    I walked into the Patagonia Reno store a few years ago with same issue. They told me that it was beyond the useful life of the jacket and that I was SOL. I was flabbergasted. I mailed the jacket to them as a warranty item (also to the Reno store), and they gave us store credit.
    Haha, must have been an employee with a chip on their shoulder. It happens, even at Pataguch! Maybe the people at that store were not allowed to go surfing recently.

Marmot Precip is great rain jacket you can find for well under $100. I've had a few over the years and they've been solid.

Precip is a nice coat, but they do not breathe at all. Great for cold rainy days, but if you plan to sweat, you’re gonna get wet.

I’ve got a Neoshell rain jacket, made by Brooks Range. Discontinued but I love it, so imma recommend Neoshell as the less clammy yet still rain shedding material.

If you want something you can shove in a pack and forget about it's pretty hard to beat the Outdoor Research Helium jacket at 6 ounces.

Quote Originally Posted by Flyoverland Captive View Post
    Precip is a nice coat, but they do not breathe at all. Great for cold rainy days, but if you plan to sweat, you’re gonna get wet.
    The first version did not breath at all. The second iteration breaths OK-ish.

Marmot minimalist.

I won 2 shells at the corn harvest CAIC raffle over the years. Never one's I've could ever ski with, but both great for spring to fall hiking and rafting duty. The RAB one fucking sucked. The lightweight pata is still going. I can crunch it up in a ball, stuff it in a dry bag, and it has saved my ass more times than I can count. Don't know the name of it, but it fucking rocks for what you are looking for.

Just my experience. A crunch down shell that keeps you dry, weighs next to nothing, and holds up to serious abuse.

YMMV. But I beat the shit out of my gear.

I picked up a Patagonia Stretch Rainshadow on clearance from their Hakuba store this winter and am pretty happy with it. Super light with pit zips and packs into its pocket. Still gets a bit clammy here in Bhutan but with the pit zips is manageable.

Quote Originally Posted by lanelehman View Post
    I picked up a Patagonia Stretch Rainshadow on clearance from their Hakuba store this winter and am pretty happy with it. Super light with pit zips and packs into its pocket. Still gets a bit clammy here in Bhutan but with the pit zips is manageable.
    I like the Rainshadow a lot too, but wish it were a bit more breathable.

I have really enjoyed the Outdoor Research Interstellar Shell. Sheds water without wetting out and isnt clammy at all.
    Uses OR Ascentshell™ 3Lmaterial.
    Didnt have pit zips so was worried, but didnt need them.

summer rain jacket?

I’d like to try the rainshadow but I have a Stio modis that is likely never going to die. It’s lighter than it looks, the build is tough, zippers are high quality and the pit zips do the job. Five stars.

I also have a Mountain Hardware Stretch Ozonic, which I picked up because I wanted a light shell with obnoxious bright color for solo hiking. Haven’t gotten extended use yet but it packs down small and light, and is the first rain shell where I appreciate the next to skin feel on muggy days.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Gore shakedry has been tits so far in terms of being super light, waterproof, and breathable. Durability remains to be seen cuz it's so light.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

after trying all the patagonia, dakine, north face, etc. rain jackets; none of them really works as well as the black diamond stormline stretch rain shell. It's super comfy from the stretch material but it's the first stretch material rain shell that consistently beads up water after 2 years of use. I use it mostly for biking so breathability is also key, which the stormline does better than the others too. Probably gonna be the only one I ever continue to buy!

OR Ascentshell stuff has similar specs to TNF Futurelight, but costs less.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I won 2 shells at the corn harvest CAIC raffle over the years. Never one's I've could ever ski with, but both great for spring to fall hiking and rafting duty. The RAB one fucking sucked. The lightweight pata is still going. I can crunch it up in a ball, stuff it in a dry bag, and it has saved my ass more times than I can count. Don't know the name of it, but it fucking rocks for what you are looking for.

Just my experience. A crunch down shell that keeps you dry, weighs next to nothing, and holds up to serious abuse.

YMMV. But I beat the shit out of my gear.
    Out of curiosity, which RAB jacket was that and what was wrong with it?

Quote Originally Posted by PNB View Post
    Out of curiosity, which RAB jacket was that and what was wrong with it?
    It was blue. All, every, each zipper blew out.

I have no idea what model it was. Sorry.