Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: RIP 747

RIP 747

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    A few years ago SFO got whacked on a friday by a big storm and caused a huge mess with the SFO-LAX commuters, so United pulled up a long haul 747 to clear the jam. This would have been awesome.

https://travelskills.com/2017/02/23/...g-747-sfo-lax/
    Which is why I thought it crazy that in Japan 747s were like commuter airplanes for short hauls.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    FKNA! Pan Am's 747 Dine In The Sky service for the win. $241 for First Class LAX or SFO to Hawaii. Take Off, hit altitude, the upstairs turned into a bar/restaurant with 4top tables and meat carved tableside. Holy shit. After dinner, the movie came on downstairs and when it was over, you were circling Honolulu for landing. Best flying experience I ever had.

The fact that the two timelines for those two things coincided was beautiful.
    Plus, because I had a little Leonardo DiCaprio hookup in Waikiki, I was getting those tickets for $50 max.
    Oh man - that sounds amazing.

When Airbus built the 330 the writing was on the wall for the 747. When Boeing built the 777 most of the nails were already in the coffin. Big four engine jets only existed previously because the engine technology of the day wasn't efficient enough to build a really big twin passenger jet.

Here's a little groundschool, if anyone cares. In order to be certified, a multi-engine jet needs to be able to lose one engine during the take off roll (on the ground), and at any point thereafter, and climb to a safe altitude. At that point, the weather at the departure airport may not be suitable for landing, so the airplane needs to be capable of flying to another airport with only the remaining engine(s).

With four engines that wasn't difficult, but with only two engines you've just lost half of your power. So you need an engine that has very significant reserve power (aka derate) that can be tapped in an emergency, AND that engine needs to be fuel efficient enough that it doesn't suck the tanks dry (can't fly as fast or high on one engine). And it needs to be able to do this without blowing up.

On top of all that, they needed to prove that the engines were reliable enough to fly across the ocean (ETOPS) and efficient enough for a long diversion if necessary.

As soon as modern high-bypass engines were up to that task, the four engine jet was doomed.

There are still planes out there with bars and lounges. Itís not gonna be as glamorous as dancing under a disco ball on the top deck of a 747 after dining on prime rib though. Iím sad not to ever experience that but glad that some of you did.

This bar was on an A380. Newer and cleaner then any 747 Iíve been on but not as cool. Kinda like being in a new Mercedes filled with plastic interior and wishing you were in a vintage stingray.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Yep but flew NW Orient to same destination. Was a grand time the 70s sans the Vietnam war and Nixon.
    Also had a $25 flight from SEA to HNL we'd catch when dirtbagging it. You'd buy a one way to PDX and they'd sit you in the front of coach for PDX. Once airborne, we'd slip into the bathroom, change clothes, come out, and go sit with the HNL passengers. It's a fucking 747, right? Buddy and I got caught by the stews once and they gave us helpful hints like, back then, the only way they had to compare actual passenger count with the manifest was by the number of meals served. So they said to not order a meal unless we saw someone not take theirs. The goodle daze....

About a year ago I was at Paine Field waiting for a flight and watched a brand new 747 in the green primer taxi out of the factory...

Years ago I saw AF1 takeoff out of Point Mugu NAS. I donít know if they were practicing an emergency takeoff or if Obama was late to whatever his next meeting was, but that thing rocketed into the sky at a super steep angle - I was driving on the 101 and all the traffic stopped and watched.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

I read a super interesting article about AF1 and how it operates - I think this is it:

https://www.politico.com/magazine/st...r-force-215091

If you like that there is also a Politico article on what happened to get Bush jr back to Washington on 9/11.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.poli...the-sky-214230

Y'all wanna see 747s, get your Covid19 tests and come to Anchorage. Near a great circle between NA and Asia ANC is routinely in the Top 10 busiest airports itw by cargo and takeoffs/landings. 90% of the Transpac cargo planes are747s. UPS & FEDEX too.
    Sometimes, when they have to use the alternate RWY 7, every departure thunders and banks over town in a climbing turn @100% power with fogging on the wing surfaces and tip vortices, in a very confined airspace 5-600' above South Anchorage. Ol skool plane noise. JBER plates are usually away from town too, but when they go on ALERT, the tip of the spear Can-See-Russia-From-Here fighters and AWACs will go full combat takeoff with burners, which is also cool as fuck the first few times you see it over your office...Merica got a wicked jab.

Quote Originally Posted by nickwm21 View Post
    Years ago I saw AF1 takeoff out of Point Mugu NAS. I don’t know if they were practicing an emergency takeoff or if Obama was late to whatever his next meeting was, but that thing rocketed into the sky at a super steep angle - I was driving on the 101 and all the traffic stopped and watched.
    If you were on the 101, they were taking off from Rwy 3 which has high terrain on the right hand side of the departure path. Plus there's a 250 kt speed limit, so a lightly loaded 747 would be going up like a rocket even without the terrain avoidance.

Also had a $25 flight from SEA to HNL we'd catch when dirtbagging it. You'd buy a one way to PDX and they'd sit you in the front of coach for PDX. Once airborne, we'd slip into the bathroom, change clothes, come out, and go sit with the HNL passengers. It's a fucking 747, right? Buddy and I got caught by the stews once and they gave us helpful hints like, back then, the only way they had to compare actual passenger count with the manifest was by the number of meals served. So they said to not order a meal unless we saw someone not take theirs. The goodle daze....
    Sigh.... remember when Lahaina was a small town sourrounded by cane feilds?
    ďWhen you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkiní Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by highangle View Post
    Y'all wanna see 747s, get your Covid19 tests and come to Anchorage. Near a great circle between NA and Asia ANC is routinely in the Top 10 busiest airports itw by cargo and takeoffs/landings. 90% of the Transpac cargo planes are747s. UPS & FEDEX too.
    Sometimes, when they have to use the alternate RWY 7, every departure thunders and banks over town in a climbing turn @100% power with fogging on the wing surfaces and tip vortices, in a very confined airspace 5-600' above South Anchorage. Ol skool plane noise. JBER plates are usually away from town too, but when they go on ALERT, the tip of the spear Can-See-Russia-From-Here fighters and AWACs will go full combat takeoff with burners, which is also cool as fuck the first few times you see it over your office...Merica got a wicked jab.
    First time I was in Anchorage I was like man how is a city this small getting so much 747 traffic - where is everyone going?

Then I actually paid attention and was like oh ok dummy those are cargo flights. Check out a flight tracker and there is just a steady stream of 747s going in and out of that airport all the time. It was the busiest airport in the world recently with all the decrease in passenger flights at other hubs.

Samesies with the interceptor jets - cool as fuck as highange says to see them rocket into the sky while youíre riding down a nearby mountain bike trail. Feel like Maverick throwing his fist up then hitting the throttle.

Quote Originally Posted by Ted Striker View Post
    When Airbus built the 330 the writing was on the wall for the 747. When Boeing built the 777 most of the nails were already in the coffin. Big four engine jets only existed previously because the engine technology of the day wasn't efficient enough to build a really big twin passenger jet.

Here's a little groundschool, if anyone cares. In order to be certified, a multi-engine jet needs to be able to lose one engine during the take off roll (on the ground), and at any point thereafter, and climb to a safe altitude. At that point, the weather at the departure airport may not be suitable for landing, so the airplane needs to be capable of flying to another airport with only the remaining engine(s).

With four engines that wasn't difficult, but with only two engines you've just lost half of your power. So you need an engine that has very significant reserve power (aka derate) that can be tapped in an emergency, AND that engine needs to be fuel efficient enough that it doesn't suck the tanks dry (can't fly as fast or high on one engine). And it needs to be able to do this without blowing up.

On top of all that, they needed to prove that the engines were reliable enough to fly across the ocean (ETOPS) and efficient enough for a long diversion if necessary.

As soon as modern high-bypass engines were up to that task, the four engine jet was doomed.
    Thanks for posting that is super interesting

Haha oh man that sounds like fun

I feel like there were a lot fewer Karens back then.

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post

There are still planes out there with bars and lounges. It’s not gonna be as glamorous as dancing under a disco ball on the top deck of a 747 after dining on prime rib though. I’m sad not to ever experience that but glad that some of you did.

This bar was on an A380. Newer and cleaner then any 747 I’ve been on but not as cool. Kinda like being in a new Mercedes filled with plastic interior and wishing you were in a vintage stingray.

The A380 is an abomination.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    The A380 is an abomination.
    Quote Originally Posted by pisteoff View Post
    The 380 is an abomination.
    great minds...

RIP 747

During Rainier Cherry season there are a bunch of 747s stacked up getting loaded at SeaTac... one time I even saw one of those massive Antonovs with the 60 wheel landing gear

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

Quote Originally Posted by bennymac View Post
    First time I was in Anchorage I was like man how is a city this small getting so much 747 traffic - where is everyone going?

Then I actually paid attention and was like oh ok dummy those are cargo flights. Check out a flight tracker and there is just a steady stream of 747s going in and out of that airport all the time. It was the busiest airport in the world recently with all the decrease in passenger flights at other hubs.

Samesies with the interceptor jets - cool as fuck as highange says to see them rocket into the sky while you’re riding down a nearby mountain bike trail. Feel like Maverick throwing his fist up then hitting the throttle.
    When I was down in Key West in February they were running exercises out of NAS Key West so we got to see all sorts of really fast, loud Navy jets taking off and flitting around. It was pretty cool. The best was when they went vert as they left the ground under full throttle, fucking ROAR!

Sigh.... remember when Lahaina was a small town sourrounded by cane feilds?
    '74-'80: had a place on Front St., a boat in the harbor.

I have a condo for use in Kapalua, KQ, if you ever want to go.
    Zbo's been there. I'm hoping to go late Oct/earlyNov.

'74-'80: had a place on Front St., a boat in the harbor.

I have a condo for use in Kapalua, KQ, if you ever want to go.
    Zbo's been there. I'm hoping to go late Oct/earlyNov.
    ďWhen you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

I had no idea TGR had so many plane geeks. I'm overwhelmed with delight... seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    I had no idea TGR had so many plane geeks. I'm overwhelmed with delight... seriously.
    wait until leroy? or dexter? comes in here with pics of their dads Spitfire IX.
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Once you have flown 1st class in a 747 to Yurp, everything else is shit. Business class, meh. We got bumped to 1st class on a Virgin Air 747 from San Fran to London years ago. What a glorious trip that was.
    Ha. Same here, London to SF on Virgin. Paid 400 bucks for that flight in 2001.

Shit, were old.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cono Este View Post
    Ha. Same here, London to SF on Virgin. Paid 400 bucks for that flight in 2001.

Shit, were old.

and we haven't even mentioned flying the Concorde yet.

and we haven't even mentioned flying the Concorde yet.
    Here I thought it was cool to fly to Chile a few times in business on a 787 thanks to airline miles and we've got people's dads flying Spitfires and other people who've flown on the Concorde. This place never ceases to amaze.