Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: $600 a week

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Did you read the part where OP said people weren't getting any state benefits?
    Wasn't sure if that statement applied to employees of his, or if he was just mad because there are people out there who got denied state unemployment but still got the $600.

My neighbor has been ranting and raving about the $600 thing as well. With all the other things we all have to worry about right now, people choose to get upset because unemployed people are getting the $600 a week on a short term basis. Some of those souls are able to make ends meet for the first time in ages and probably close to 100% of the money pours right back into the economy which keeps the rest of us employed for the time being, instead of facing a catastrophic market failure, and the loss of our jobs as well.

Meanwhile crickets when we hand out more and more long term permanent tax cuts to wealthy folks who don't need it and won't spend it and in a lot of cases they pull the money out of the economy by sheltering or investing off shore.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    For not working

We r fucked.

I can’t hire, because unemployment is more profitable.
    I have employees that won’t come back, because they’re making more. I was paying them $18

It all ends July 31. But congress wants to continue the gravy train.

I know two peeps that didn’t get state funenjoyment but applied for and got the $600

This country is toasted

Edit: this ain’t for polyass. More of a financial, economic, budgetary rant
    Sucks to be you

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Second of all if you laid people off and they don’t come back they lose their benefit

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Bravo.

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    My neighbor has been ranting and raving about the $600 thing as well. With all the other things we all have to worry about right now, people choose to get upset because unemployed people are getting the $600 a week on a short term basis. Some of those souls are able to make ends meet for the first time in ages and probably close to 100% of the money pours right back into the economy which keeps the rest of us employed for the time being, instead of facing a catastrophic market failure, and the loss of our jobs as well.

Meanwhile crickets when we hand out more and more long term permanent tax cuts to wealthy folks who don't need it and won't spend it and in a lot of cases they pull the money out of the economy by sheltering or investing off shore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Foggy_Goggles View Post
    If I lived in WA, Oft would be my realtor. Seriously.

You obviously aren't wealthy, or you wouldn't be posting such nonsense. The rich need that off-shore tax haven to give to their kids and you think owning 5 or 6 homes around the world, and the private jet is just going to magically fuel and fly itself. That stuff costs real coin to own and maintain. We aren't talking a Toyota Corralla here. (They still make those, don't they?)
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch

I'm going to tell you all a little story. Say I know a biz owner, wife on payroll, covid hits. Biz owner is "well off", but shit biz dried up for now so wife (on payroll) and owner both go on unemployment (owner takes a weekly paycheck). They do it just because they can. They collect a ton of money combined.

Plenty of games to play with the "cares" act.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

Wealthy companies taking billions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BAF5F340-EAD2-457B-9717-3BF4F959BE74.png 
Views:	120 
Size:	301.6 KB 
ID:	333267

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    I'm going to tell you all a little story. Say I know a biz owner, wife on payroll, covid hits. Biz owner is "well off", but shit biz dried up for now so wife (on payroll) and owner both go on unemployment (owner takes a weekly paycheck). They do it just because they can. They collect a ton of money combined.

Grifters gonna grift.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Feeding children
    Paying rent
    Buying toilet paper
    Buying shoe polish
    Buying hair spray
    Buying a magazine
    Buying a new shirt
    Buying.....
    Buying ......Buying..........Buying

To save the economy and avert large scale human suffering.

You're welcome.

That $ 600 is a big part of what has propped up the Dow and kept our economy from exploding.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Wtf is this well thought out response.

The Fed made the largest purchases in bonds of United Health Group, Berkshire Hathaway, and AT&T, buying more than $16 million in each of the separate bonds. ... The program known as the Secondary Market Corporate Credit Facility will take in up to $250 billion in corporate bonds from eligible issuers.

Solidly in the cry me a river crowd and there are a couple things I find hilarious about this disaster:

How sad is it that our job creator class only thought to hire millionaires to represent their interests and now they're shocked that none of these dedicated public employees anticipated this unintended consequence? Hilariously sad, that's how.

And isn't this the free market way to buy the economic non-participation we need to fight the disease? If you didn't make enough money to blow off $600 extra per week then you definitely weren't essential and I for one would like to thank you for staying home. Just don't give it to anyone who's had the disease and we'll be alright.

Quote Originally Posted by The AD View Post
    If it's toasted it's because people were actually making less than $600 while working, not the other way around.
    This

So what's the solution? Clearly the intent is to help out people who are out of work due to coronavirus. I don't understand how you can get unemployment when you have a job. If the employees "won't come back" maybe you shouldn't have let them go in the first place. Wasn't there another pot of money to help small business owners?
    As best I can tell, part of the problem is that the unemployment office is all of a sudden swamped with claims and they're doing everything they can to make sure people are getting their checks. But that means they don't really have any bandwidth to ensure that people that have work available aren't still milking the system.

I had an employee quit back in may (which makes no sense to me - she could have forced me to pay for fmla leave / unemployment for a while without actually coming into work, and there's nothing I could have done about it. But whatever). It took me over a month to find a replacement. Usually I'd have that position filled in a week.

I don't think there's a readily apparent solution. It's an unprecedented situation, the stimulus has a real and worthwhile benefit, but the administration of those benefits is, predictably, a cluster fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post

Well, given unemployment is likely something he paid into and we want people to spend money and stay home - whatever. Better than wasting money on profitable banks and rich people, they don't spend shit.

Yup. Those people aren't gaming the system, they're utilizing a safety net that they have paid into.

Honestly right now I'm more concerned that people are getting the help they need more than I'm worried about people trying to game the system. $600 a week is laughable.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Yup. Those people aren't gaming the system, they're utilizing a safety net that they have paid into.

yep.... not takers. just hoping for their end of the social contract be up held.

Honestly right now I'm more concerned that people are getting the help they need more than I'm worried about people trying to game the system. $600 a week is laughable.
    Agreed.

But there's a lot of small businesses that are struggling right now, and struggles with employees aren't helping anything.

In the short term, we want individuals to start afloat. But mid to long term afloatness means their employers need to not fold / go bankrupt.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    People are earning $600 per week from the federal government PLUS whatever unemployment benefits they were entitled to from their state. So, someone making $15 per hour before becoming unemployed is now making more than that on unemployment.

Also worth noting- the median personal income in the US is $31k, which comes out to roughly $15 per hour. Half of all workers in the US make $15 per hour or less.
    I'm at the top of my union scale at 16.88. Our people start in a public sector union job at $11 something. Our AFSCME council rep told me once "pffft, you're lucky, they're making $9 at {local public sector nursing home that just had a bad covid outbreak]"

I think they would like to restore some services that were curtailed by covid, but can't because many people are doing so much better on medical leaves of absence. I feel like a sucker, going to work and making less money. For awhile they gave us some hazard pay, then they stopped....so the people who said "I have asthma, leave of absence" are making like 2x what I make, hanging out chillin and grillin at home.

It's a bummer.

dude. you need to move.

come to upstate. work on the canal. we're hiring. $16.92 start, steps to $25.00. easy promotions from there. we are short handed.

think about it.

I have a friend laid off in may who made $160,000+ per year. I offered to get him same wage wfh at my company....he said no...in ca 500 in ue with the fed 600 bucks he is making over 1100 a week....said 50k a year to sit at home is a better deal!

True story.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    I'm at the top of my union scale at 16.88. Our people start in a public sector union job at $11 something. Our AFSCME council rep told me once "pffft, you're lucky, they're making $9 at {local public sector nursing home that just had a bad covid outbreak]"

I think they would like to restore some services that were curtailed by covid, but can't because many people are doing so much better on medical leaves of absence. I feel like a sucker, going to work and making less money. For awhile they gave us some hazard pay, then they stopped....so the people who said "I have asthma, leave of absence" are making like 2x what I make, hanging out chillin and grillin at home.

It's a bummer.
    Damn that's crazy.

Is there any hope for promotions or pay increases?

All these people who are refusing to work because they make more on unemployment must realize this is just temporary, right? Seems pretty short sighted.