Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14

Thread: $600 a week

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Ah yes, another great answer from someone who knows nothing of our situation. Thanks but you're all wet.
    Oh sorry. Maybe I should call you out for whinnying about your situation on the instead of fucking fixing your problem. Guess it just sucks to be you. Thought you said you’d stfu about your business issues a few pages ago. Maybe your leadership flaws lie in your inability to stand by your word. .

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Oh sorry. Maybe I should call you out for whinnying about your situation on the instead of fucking fixing your problem. Guess it just sucks to be you. Thought you said you’d stfu about your business issues a few pages ago. Maybe your leadership flaws lie in your inability to stand by your word. .
    You insulted me directly with no knowledge of the situation. Of course I responded but I'm done now.

You insulted me directly with no knowledge of the situation. Of course I responded but I'm done now.
    Okay. Bye bye.

No but it's an extra frustration that didn't exist prior to the CARES Act and the contradictory goals. Mind you, I'm not complaining about the CARES Act as we benefited from PPP greatly, We were kind of a poster child for whom it was intended to help. But like anyone, I suppose, it also gave me an opportunity to bitch about something at the same time. Something about having cake and eating it, too?
    I hear you. I thought it was odd that we can figure out people's taxes pretty close based on their paystubs, but we can't figure out how to administer UE so that we don't provide greater benefit than a worker was earning at their job. It should be 100% of one's pay up to the max allowable benefit IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    I hear you. I thought it was odd that we can figure out people's taxes pretty close based on their paystubs, but we can't figure out how to administer UE so that we don't provide greater benefit than a worker was earning at their job. It should be 100% of one's pay up to the max allowable benefit IMO.
    How would 1099 income be calculated? There is no “pay stub” for many. That’s why the $600 is federal and required a separate application from the state. And, it’s in addition to benefits calculated by the state.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    How would 1099 income be calculated? There is no “pay stub” for many. That’s why the $600 is federal and required a separate application from the state. And, it’s in addition to benefits calculated by the state.
    Agreed...for example tips? Maybe prior years tax return?

So much of the rhetoric in this thread is based on the twin assumptions that 1). education (that does not immediately translate into tangible income based on its meeting an immediate need of the capitalist system's current obsession) is a waste of time and money and eligible workers and 20 that the poor are undeserving and incapable of making good decision about how to use their paltry income or any charitable addition to it.

These are old assumptions with a long history going back farther than but well emblemized by Britain's Poor Laws of the late 1400s. Marilynne Robinson has written a lot of good stuff about this, including the following nice excerpt:

"Why educate a public to reason and reflect, to base their thinking as citizens on some sense of history, when industry wants them to be trained to meet quite different needs, meanwhile flooding the labor pool with their kind and cheapening wages? Now and then someone tips his hat to the values of a liberal education, but the brute fact is that the institutions created to provide it, over the past two or three centuries, are under great pressure to drop it in favor of creating better workers, relieving industry of the cost of training them. This is true even for schools the newspapers call “elite.” The old idea that knowledge is power, and that therefore in a democracy it should be broadly shared—this deep courtesy to human inwardness and possibility—­has given way to a notion that deep enrichment of individual and civic life should be put aside in favor of training that prepares our debt-driven young to sell themselves in a highly uncertain market, where their value as workers will always be subject to decline."

The Mnuchins of today aren't nearly as eloquent:

“Unemployment is supposed to be wage replacement,” the Treasury secretary told ABC’s Martha Raddatz. “So it should be tied to some percentage of wages.”

“We want to fix the issue where in some cases people are overpaid,” he continued. “And we want to make sure there’s the right incentives.”

“Do you do think it’s a disincentive to find a job if you have that extra $600?” Raddatz asked.

“There’s no question,” Mnuchin replied. “In certain cases, where we’re paying people more to stay home than to work, that’s created issues in the entire economy.”

Raddatz interrupted by pointing out a Yale study which found that there is no evidence that the $600 weekly payment is a disincentive to return to work.

“I went to Yale,” Mnuchin replied. “There are certain things, I don’t always agree.”