Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: $600 a week

Heartless because he tried to bring them back? He's on the hook to pay back the PPP if he doesn't reopen. Why wouldn't he cut them off if they would just leave him hanging out to dry? He was going to try and bring in a new staff so he could start earning a living again but now the place needs over $50k in renovations just to be able to function again. He's fucked and that sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Heartless because he tried to bring them back? He's on the hook to pay back the PPP if he doesn't reopen. Why wouldn't he cut them off if they would just leave him hanging out to dry? He was going to try and bring in a new staff so he could start earning a living again but now the place needs over $50k in renovations just to be able to function again. He's fucked and that sucks.
    Did those ex employees have families? Perhaps spouses that were faced with reduced employment or laid off and somehow ineligible? Did they turn down his job offers because the only way they could make ends meet was because of the extra $$$ afforded by the extra $600 a week of benefits? Could they also make an argument that he left them out to dry by reporting them? Did he think that by reporting them and making them ineligible, that they would want to come back to his business?

edit: bummer for your buddy, too. I imagine if he had it all to do over again he probably would have done a few things different. As much as we want to be guided by our emotions, being punitive-- on the part of employer or employee-- isn't going to help in the long run.
    Last edited by Lone Star; 07-05-2020 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Why I started the thread was congress rumbling about extending the $600

So many help wanted ads and no one applying yet. Was hoping that changes july 1

Mount Printmore will pay the bill, but what about people being productive and working?

Attachment 333581
    No one feels safe. Shitty waiting jobs and retail work aren't worth losing your life over.

Quote Originally Posted by Harvey44 View Post
    We're also in the same boat.

Went through a fuckload of crap to apply for PPP, and SPECIFICALLY asked each employee if they wanted to come back.

They all said yes please and thank you.

It was before they or I knew about the $600.

Now some are pissed at me and my partner for including them. Heard one woman's husband in the background when we told her we got PPP and she was coming back:

"Fuck those assholes screwing us out of our money!"

We did PPP for the employees. Before we got it, we cut our staff in half and took some big paycuts to make our numbers work. We had half the staff with enough work to do and revenue to cover it. Now we have pissed off employees who aren't busy. Not great for the company.

WTF. Sucks.

My personal opinion: Unemployment was like 60% of your pay. Raise it to 80 or 90% or extend the weeks, or give people healthcare, or whatever. Don't pay them more not to work.
    you are pissed at an employee because their spouse is an asshole? hmmmmm.....

second, if you don't like an employee's work discuss it with them - it is at will employment? I assume you know what that means.

Quote Originally Posted by schuss View Post
    No one feels safe. Shitty waiting jobs and retail work aren't worth losing your life over.
    Agree that the virus adds more risk to shitty jobs.
    But, if no one is applying, you raise the starting wage.
    But if it’s a $14 job, $7 unemployment plus $15 funny money is $22. So you have to offer $25 and make no money even if you can find someone willing to work for an extra $120 a week versus sitting at home smoking weed and day drinking and binging Jerry Springer.
    . . .

Not pissed at anyone, certainly not the employees. Just saying that congress maybe didn't think it through.

I assume the money's not limitless. I could be wrong, I know some disagree.

Assuming it's not, I'd rather get more weeks of unemployment, then more to start and then be cutoff.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    pretty sure PPP has devolved into “fuck it, keep the cash”

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    pretty sure PPP has devolved into “fuck it, keep the cash”
    "...we'll print more!"

When they extended the dates we were able to use 100% of ours for payroll. Hoping that makes it easier to apply for forgiveness. If so we go over 13 weeks out of it, runs out next week. Hoping to go as long as possible before a re-layoff and paycut.

Tell Trump to get his money back from Harvard, and use that to keep your business open.

The $600 was designed not just to get people across a gap in income, but to DISINCENTIVIZE people from going to work. The 144 days between the start and termination of the CARES act was supposed to give us time to get Covid under control. There shouldn't have been a financial need for us to open up. Instead we had a trigger happy president who sees his political futures through a myopic economic lens. A trigger happy president who saw the unemployment numbers and didn't trust the plan. Instead, we rushed back to Chuck E. Cheese. It's fucking pathetic.
    Last edited by huckbucket; 07-05-2020 at 10:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    The $600 was designed not just to get people across a gap in income, but to DISINCENTIVIZE people from going to work. The 144 days between the start and termination of the CARES act was supposed to give us time to get Covid under control.
    I didn't know that. That makes some sense.

Thanks for putting that out there, it changes the way I think about it.

I didn't know that. That makes some sense.

Thanks for putting that out there, it changes the way I think about it.
    Boy, you're a special kind of stupid.

How does the +600 jive the the idea of PPP? Why protect payroll if you don't want people to come back to work? Why not just go with unemployment and leave it there.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6441F97E-4E0E-4394-B0DA-8FB0335C4043.png 
Views:	48 
Size:	492.2 KB 
ID:	333787

Different article, related subject, National as opposed to local:
    https://www.politico.com/news/2020/0...ess-aid-349952

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E742E2EE-DE68-4373-8C84-162113B1B617.png 
Views:	131 
Size:	280.1 KB 
ID:	333789

How does the +600 jive the the idea of PPP? Why protect payroll if you don't want people to come back to work? Why not just go with unemployment and leave it there.
    This will answer all of your questions.

https://freakonomics.com/podcast/covid-19-cares-act/

I work in IT Healthcare and there is not a lot of hiring. I have moonlighted in restaurants and do I really need to explain.

I would love to have a job as I continue to look for work in my field. There really is not much out there.

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    I work in IT Healthcare and there is not a lot of hiring. I have moonlighted in restaurants and do I really need to explain.

I would love to have a job as I continue to look for work in my field. There really is not much out there.
    Why just stick with Healthcare? IT can transfer....open your mind to other opportunities....

$600 a week

It will be interesting to see how economy reacts to this ending. I'm certain a good number of recipients are double dipping and still working while receiving this benefit. Because it was given to 1099 workers there is no way to track re-employment in the cash economy. Don't get me wrong, I'm 100% ok with this as it provides possibly the most direct stimulus.

Whatever you earn for that week gets deducted from your regular state UI benefit payment. And you legally have to claim what you earn and hours worked, every week, even if it's only $10 in cash and under the table or 2 hours of labor. If you end up making more than what you're slated for state benefits, then they automatically kick you out of the system with no returns (there's a whole different process to get back IN to the system after you've been cut off, and it's extremely complicated and time consuming).

If you don't claim what you actually earned, you will get jailed and/or fined (usually both), for committing fraud. You have to sign a statement for every week you collect in Colorado, they are very strict about this. They also routinely audit for several years after the fact, so you have to prove all of your earnings. I'm thinking more people than not actually do report their earnings and jobs, because they know the ramifications if they get caught. Who wants to have fraud as part of a criminal record? Yes, there are dishonest people, but the measures they have in place largely do prevent fraud.

If you are still able to claim any state benefits, meaning, if the state still paid you a certain amount after deducting any cash or earnings for that week, that automatically makes/keeps you eligible to continue to receive the additional $600 for that week. It's legal and within the confines of what was federally mandated, at least for Colorado, and isn't what I would call 'double' dipping'. Nobody is making any more than what they've been making all along under the current system, unless they are complete fraudsters working under the table and not reporting, in which case they will likely get caught anyway and possibly go to jail. Other states not so sure.

If people were smart, they would have stashed that cash and not spent it, to better prepare for the next wave of shutdowns if they occur. Which, in that case, the extra $$ ends up not helping the economy anyway. I read an article last week that credit card debt per person in the US is decreasing. I'm thinking a good chunk of that extra cash went to Visa/MC for families that could finally afford to pay down a little extra debt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    working under the table and not reporting
    It's called the cash economy and it's trillions of dollars. If they weren't reporting income before why would they report now?

https://www.edd.ca.gov/payroll_taxes...onomy_Cost.htm

Quote Originally Posted by Jax View Post
    Whatever you earn for that week gets deducted from your regular state UI benefit payment. And you legally have to claim what you earn and hours worked, every week, even if it's only $10 in cash and under the table or 2 hours of labor. If you end up making more than what you're slated for state benefits, then they automatically kick you out of the system with no returns (there's a whole different process to get back IN to the system after you've been cut off, and it's extremely complicated and time consuming).

If you don't claim what you actually earned, you will get jailed and/or fined (usually both), for committing fraud. You have to sign a statement for every week you collect in Colorado, they are very strict about this. They also routinely audit for several years after the fact, so you have to prove all of your earnings. I'm thinking more people than not actually do report their earnings and jobs, because they know the ramifications if they get caught. Who wants to have fraud as part of a criminal record? Yes, there are dishonest people, but the measures they have in place largely do prevent fraud.

If you are still able to claim any state benefits, meaning, if the state still paid you a certain amount after deducting any cash or earnings for that week, that automatically makes/keeps you eligible to continue to receive the additional $600 for that week. It's legal and within the confines of what was federally mandated, at least for Colorado, and isn't what I would call 'double' dipping'. Nobody is making any more than what they've been making all along under the current system, unless they are complete fraudsters working under the table and not reporting, in which case they will likely get caught anyway and possibly go to jail. Other states not so sure.

If people were smart, they would have stashed that cash and not spent it, to better prepare for the next wave of shutdowns if they occur. Which, in that case, the extra $$ ends up not helping the economy anyway. I read an article last week that credit card debt per person in the US is decreasing. I'm thinking a good chunk of that extra cash went to Visa/MC for families that could finally afford to pay down a little extra debt.
    go back see my example of someone I know who was told directly by their accountant "they would be stupid not to take the money". Owns his own company. Had the company still bringing in cash (paying workers), but him and his wife are not taking paychecks until AFTER the additional $600/week expires...if they extend, they will ride the money train. 100% "double dipping" just via creative accounting.

$ 600.00 a week = $ 15.00 p/hour x 40.

Sounds like the new minimum wage.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

^^^^ good. if you work full time for any organization, regardless of your position, you should be paid a living wage without needing government assistance.