Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7
    In case anyone is interested, the plebiscite was held yesterday (my second one after the 1988 "yes or no" one). It was, as it traditionally is, a civilized affair, calm and organized, and 50% of the eligible electorate voted. People were mostly socially distanced and everyone wore masks, nary a nose dick to be seen. The "approve" won (79%) for the writing of a new constitution , as did the second option for writing it, the "constitutional convention" (78%), which excludes politicians. With that behind us, the battleground will now be the election of the 155 constituents to write said document (Apr/21), and figuring out how to apply the 2/3 requirement, along with municipal elections. In November 2021, presidential and parliamentary elections will be held. The final draft of the constitution will be voted on in Apr/22.

What a nice day it was, I got to ride my bike right up to the entrance to the school where I voted, in the foreground.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0772.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	712.6 KB 
ID:	344972

Peace and tranquility inside the school, only two voters allowed in each room at once.

Name:	IMG_0763.jpg 
Views:	92 
Size:	900.9 KB 
ID:	344970

Name:	IMG_0766.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	557.0 KB 
ID:	344971

There were isolated disturbances in the country later in the day. We all hope the violence ends with this historic result.

What would be different with the new constitution vs. the existing one?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Keystone is fucking lame. But, deadly.

Rounding out the plague charts, infections for the Americas are running highest in Argentina (in spite of a very long lockdown), and the USA. Most other countries are in decline, except for upticks in Canada and Mexico.

Name:  Coronavirus-Pandemic-Data-Explorer-Our-World-in-Data (4).jpg
Views: 2117
Size:  99.9 KB

Deaths are levelling out around 2.0-2.4 per million in general, with the exception of Argentina.

Name:  Coronavirus-Pandemic-Data-Explorer-Our-World-in-Data (1).jpg
Views: 1445
Size:  99.5 KB

So in Chile Santiago has been improving steadily since July, while flare-ups continue to occur in other parts of the country, in spite of spring arriving early.

This is the hodgepodge of comunal phase status in Chile at the moment (red and orange are most restricted, yellow and blue are least).

Name:  Situación-Comunal-Chile-Google-My-Maps (1).jpg
Views: 1396
Size:  52.8 KB

Ski Chile 2020, one rider down

Quote Originally Posted by Kinnikinnick View Post
    What would be different with the new constitution vs. the existing one?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    It would be constructed by “the people” rather than the current one,
    which was made during the military govt in 1980. That one was written by right leaning legal professionals, and approved in a plebiscite (during dictatorship), then was modified several times after 1990, and even re-signed by the main political parties in 2005. The new one is going to start with a blank sheet, so we do not know what it will end up containing. If it is not approved, the current constitution will stay.

Most people only know that it is “Pinochet’s constitution”, and has protections for the free market, private health care, and education.

What a monumental day for Chile. I wish I was there with them to celebrate and document such a massive democratic event.

Been at the beach and whatnot and will get back to Alto BioBio sometime. But I do have the latest on foreigners travel to Chile.

The latest US embassy blurb is https://cl.usembassy.gov/covid-19-information/

"Entry and Exit Requirements: Are U.S. citizens permitted to enter? No

Only Chilean citizens and residents of Chile are allowed entry into the country."

However this is going to change, starting Nov 23, see the recent announcement here:

https://www.chileatiende.gob.cl/coro...do-de-frontera

"Las personas extranjeras que deseen ingresar al país, podrán hacerlo solo a través del Aeropuerto Arturo Merino Benítez (SCL) desde las 00:00 horas del 23 de noviembre de 2020. En todos los casos, el ingreso de personas al territorio chileno deberá realizarse en cumplimiento de la normativa sanitaria vigente."

This is the complete law, which says very little in a convoluted way https://www.diariooficial.interior.g...01/1847382.pdf

CNN Chile added that with a negative PCR within 72 hours of arrival, you will be allowed in. Not many details are available at the moment. https://www.cnnchile.com/coronavirus...tena_20201110/

As for the eclipse, the region is still under heavy restrictions, but weirdly enough, the further into the mountains, the fewer restrictions. The thing is, there is no practical way of getting there. Worst is red, best is blue, from Villarrica to Argentina.

Name:	Situación-Comunal-Chile-Google-My-Maps (2).jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	204.0 KB 
ID:	347633

https://www.gob.cl/coronavirus/cifrasoficiales/ The latest numbers for both Villarrica and Pucon look good. V is down from 80 active cases to 23 (or about 40/100,000) from the last time I looked, and Pucon, with half the pop, has 10 active cases. They have been pretty strict, but not necessarily consistent. I know the tourist sector is raring to go for December, so expect restrictions to be loosened perhaps by Dec 1.

Was checking out a place for my eternity, and found this one on the coast:

Name:	IMG_0845.jpg 
Views:	65 
Size:	323.2 KB 
ID:	347634

Not hard to SD with the dead.

Name:	IMG_0844.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	765.3 KB 
ID:	347636

Ran into this stare-down not far away.

Name:	IMG_0841.jpg 
Size:	626.7 KB 
ID:	347635

Most people with masks everywhere (not so much on the beach, but still keeping discreet distances).

The golf course was empty

Name:	IMG_0859.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	736.8 KB 
ID:	347639

People are slacking off with social gatherings, but Santiago is in pretty good shape at the moment.

More on travel opening up

"El gobierno adelantó que se exigirá un test PCR negativo realizado como máximo 72 horas antes del inicio del viaje, o un test realizado en el aeropuerto al arribo.

Antes de embarcarse a Chile, además, deberán llenar una declaración jurada que detalle su origen y destino, así como su condición de salud y la eventual presencia de síntomas atribuibles al Covid-19.

"Quienes lleguen desde el exterior deberán descargar la app de rastreo que las autoridades pondrán a disposición y notificar diariamente su situación sanitaria por un máximo de 14 días. Ver: Chile hará seguimiento sanitario de turistas vía app por 14 días"
    or

"The government announced that a negative PCR test will be required, carried out at most 72 hours before the start of the trip, or a test carried out at the airport upon arrival.

Before embarking to Chile, they must also fill out an affidavit that details their origin and destination, as well as their health condition and the eventual presence of symptoms attributable to Covid-19.

Those arriving from abroad must download the tracking app that the authorities will make available and notify their health situation daily for a maximum of 14 days. See: Chile will monitor the health of tourists via app for 14 days"

https://www.hosteltur.com/lat/140467...r-14-dias.html

Also [Quote}Chile will not restrict the origin of visitors, who may arrive in the country from anywhere in the world, regardless of the epidemiological situation in their country.[/QUOTE]

https://www.hosteltur.com/lat/140467...r-14-dias.html

So I guess you have to have a smartphone with a plan to get in.

Here is a question and answer website for the rules (in spanish):
    https://saludresponde.minsal.cl/preg...viajeros/#vi10

And here is the form:
    www.c19.cl

sounds like you wont have to share the total solar eclipse on 12/14/2020 with many gringo freaks ...... we scrapped our plans a long time ago........ enjoy!!!

Some of us addicts will find a way to get to the eclipse. This is the way we are doing it: https://www.astro-trails.com/patagon...aries-dec-2020

Argentina does not open to general tourism until Dec. 15, day after the eclipse. AstroTrails spent 5 months negotiating with Argentina for permission. We have to get tested within 72 hours of arrival and again within 12 hours after arrival. We will be in some kind of "travel bubble" for the week we are in Buenos Aires, Bariloche and the eclipse site at Piedra del Aguila.

AstroTrails is sending another group to Pucon, though the weather odds in Chile are not as good as in Argentina.

I expect several more eclipse enthusiasts will try to take advantage of Chile's new reopening.
    Last edited by TonyC; 06-23-2021 at 10:46 PM.
    http://bestsnow.net
    "The most complete, comprehensive and objective guide to snowfall--and both prevailing and expected snow conditions--at North America's ski resorts ever published"- Powder Magazine.

Vitacura to Villarrica, under the shadow of the phase-degrading scenario, as cases rise again in both comunas. Vitacura 4 to 3. For Villarrica and the Araucania in general, which is part of the hot spot of S Chile, quarantines and/or restrictions and controls are the order of the day . https://www.emol.com/noticias/Nacion...-Gobierno.html

The path of totality, in the center of which is Villarrica.

Name:	2020-December-14-Total-Solar-Eclipse-Interactive-Google-Map-Xavier-Jubier.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	411.2 KB 
ID:	351428

And the covid phase map, X marks our spot.

Name:	Situación-Comunal-Chile-Google-My-Maps (4).jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	189.3 KB 
ID:	351429

Red is quarantine (no go), beige is phase 2 (no interregional travel), and yellow is phase 3, which permits travel, for now. Everyone in Villarrica is nervous, about covid and about the economic impact of closing for the eclipse, and maybe the summer too.

Weather looks funky, although this will change, as 9 days out is unreliable.

Name:	Yr-Villarrica-Weather-forecast.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	75.5 KB 
ID:	351449

It rained for the eclipse, so no useful photos this time. My solar lamps went on for about 4 minutes, and the birds chirped up, which was cool.

The volcano was entertaining for the 3 weeks we were there though...

Name:	PC100725.jpg 
Size:	943.0 KB 
ID:	355244

Name:	PC070713.ORF.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.33 MB 
ID:	355245

Name:	PC170790.ORF.jpg 
Size:	2.93 MB 
ID:	355246

Name:	PC160776.ORF.jpg 
Size:	1.14 MB 
ID:	355247

And I did get a couple shots of the Jupiter/Saturn conjunction.

Name:	PC170786.ORF.jpg 
Size:	1.98 MB 
ID:	355248

Name:	PC220839.ORF.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	6.00 MB 
ID:	355249

Back to the Alto BioBio!

The Las Raices and adjacent Lolco ranges are smack between the Lonquimay/Tolhuaca volcanos and the BioBio river basin. The lava flow at the top is from the Navidad crater eruption of 1988. The two ranges are split by the R-801 dirt road, only open in the summer months, in the Valle del Naranjo.

Name:	Arenales Lolco.jpg 
Size:	952.3 KB 
ID:	355253

The Arenales ex-ski area is run by the local indigenous community, and is accessed from the Lonquimay side of the range, which is plowed to the lodge (which still functions some days).

Name:	36-SDC19763.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	880.4 KB 
ID:	355254

The range is rather low, with the highest peaks up to 2,000m.

Name:	P9070581.jpg 
Size:	770.8 KB 
ID:	355255

The Lolco range is more rugged, and maxes at 2,250m with the Cerro Lancu, here seen from Corralco:

Name:	129-P7186415.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	909.5 KB 
ID:	355256

This is a video of skiing the Valle del Naranjo (called Khutrao) by the local adventurers at Agreste Chile https://www.agrestechile.com/

love this thread......rock on casey++++++

Rounding out this Alto BioBio set, is the continental divide set of peaks, scarred and formed in part by ancient eruptions.

Name:	Continental divide alto biobio.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	1.17 MB 
ID:	355660

Drier than the ranges further west, the Araucarias cling to the mostly gentle slopes up to the divide, where things get more rugged. Some hot springs are present in the upper valleys, such as Pelehue or Coyuco. Backcountry opportunities abound.

The southern reaches are lower, flatter, and not as interesting as the northern ones. The only paved road over the border for hundreds of km is the Pino Hachado pass (1,900m), here seen last July, with Lonquimay and Tolhuaca volcanoes in the distant background.

Name:	IMG_9509.jpeg 
Views:	51 
Size:	323.4 KB 
ID:	355661

More is forthcoming...

The main peaks along the divide going north from the Paso Pino Hachado are listed here. I haven´t had the pleasure, but they are on my list!

Cerro Codihue 2,300m (see https://www.andeshandbook.org/montan...odihue/galeria )

Name:	codihue.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	713.0 KB 
ID:	357365

(courtesy of Mono Andes, a great explorer and photographer https://www.flickr.com/photos/monolive/ )

Cerro Rahue 2,700m (see https://www.andeshandbook.org/montan...erro/180/Rahue )

Name:	33922424068_ff590c2028_o.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	357366

Cerro Dedos o Ranquil 2,600m (see https://www.andeshandbook.org/montan...erro/179/Dedos )

Name:  Cerro Dedos.jpg
Views: 817
Size:  81.1 KB

Cerro Moncol 2.400m (see https://www.andeshandbook.org/montan...rro/206/Moncol )

Name:	vista de cerro dedos a moncol.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	231.0 KB 
ID:	357351
    (with V Callaqui in the background)

Some more shots from Mono Andes who has explored the area extensively:

Ranquil Valley

Name:	ranquil 2.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	357361

Panorama from Cerro Dedos

Name:	Ranquil pano.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	345.3 KB 
ID:	357362

Heading up Cerro Dedos, with the front range and Cerro Lancu in the background

Name:	Cerro Dedos subiendo.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	357363

Laguna Mariñanqui

Name:	Laguna Mariñanqui.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	786.1 KB 
ID:	357364

And here is a groovy video from the Ranquil Valley posted in another TGR thread by Alvaro https://youtu.be/q5Wy24hRy-w

These last posts will be added to the TGR Ski Chile Guide thread http://bit.ly/Chileskiguide

Someday it will get a general update, although not much has changed...

wow! thanks for the mind surf this monday afternoon.

Whats access like to the Ranquil valley? can't tell if that's a road running west-east above the names on the map you posted.

Nice pictures of some neat mountains! These middle-elevation mountains would be great skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post

Whats access like to the Ranquil valley? can't tell if that's a road running west-east above the names on the map you posted.
    The map is flipped with north to the left, and the yellow line is the border/divide. The valleys that are lateral to the Bio Bio river generally run east-west. Access is described in the Andeshandbook links, but is generally through rough roads and trails on indigenous land, in this case, the R-797 which may or not be ploughed in winter. You can see these on google earth. I think horses and bikes would be useful, outside peak snowy periods. With a low snowline, a sled would be useful, but rivers and other barriers may exist.

Here are monoandes photos of access to the Ranquil valley.

Name:	ranquil valley.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	1.70 MB 
ID:	357555

Name:	panoramio-97986317.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	530.5 KB 
ID:	357556

Nice to set up camp and tour there, eh?

Looks incredible. I think we saw Lancu and a number of the other peaks from Lonquimay and Arenales last year and were wondering about them. This is really neat info, Casey. Some year maybe I can get out there... quiza

What's up Casey...any news on ski areas opening this year?

Quote Originally Posted by Beder View Post
    What's up Casey...any news on ski areas opening this year?
    I believe they are all chomping at the bit to have a “normal” season, at least by the typical communications at this time of year

My favorite is El Colorado

It should be said that Valle Nevado did a chapter 11-type judicial presentation after last season due to unserviced long term debt. They never did open in 2020, and 2019 was a bad year. Not sure how that is working out.

Bike park lifts have been running for the most part, when pandemic conditions permit.

Chile is currently on its second or third wave, depending on the region, and has many comunas in quarantine, the latest being a good chunk of Santiago. ICU beds are in short supply.

On the other hand, vaccinations are roaring ahead with a combo of Pfizer, Oxford and Sinovac jabs.

The objective is 70% vaccinated by June, which would be good news for the ski areas.

I get my second Sinovac jab today, and will continue being holed up in Villarrica until the horizon begins to clear.