Page 42 of 46 FirstFirst ... 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast
Results 1,026 to 1,050 of 1146
    Visibility in along I-80 in southeast WY

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Probably some idiot thought it was 5G

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    People ruin everything

(c) Bobcat Sig, 2016 - 2020 All Rights Reserved

That's some fucked up shit.
    I've set repeaters on mountaintops and know how dependent guys on the ground are for those things to work.
    It's hard enough for communications to function correctly sometimes (usually a liveware issue).

meadowskipper - that Outside article property is how forest homes should be rigged. Shit, living in Topanga Canyon above the beach, almost every house had a water tank that stayed full always cause everybody knew once a fire hit that there would be no pressure for your hose. Makes being on a well a bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    ...meadowskipper - that Outside article property is how forest homes should be rigged. Shit, living in Topanga Canyon above the beach, almost every house had a water tank that stayed full always cause everybody knew once a fire hit that there would be no pressure for your hose. Makes being on a well a bonus.
    Those guys had it going on - a full swimming pool, generators, and pumps. And fairly aggressive thinning snd clearing. I was at a fire in central WA one time where a ranch owner credited his admitted overgrazing with saving his house. Interesting thought.

Edit - Deleted my comments about Aus stay and defend, covered in the article.

I think an underreported aspect of the latest Oregon westside fires is the amount of private firefighting that went on in the form of construction companies and just people staying to protect property went on.

https://www.oregonlive.com/news/2020...tts-mills.html

Not sure if this has been mentioned, but the Creek Fire, on the Central Sierra west slope, is still burning, though more slowly. It's finally reached Mono Hot Springs and Vermillion Valley Resort. Fire crews have been active there, doing a lot of back-fire work so that when the actual fire reaches there (map shows that it's there now), structures will be preserved (and so far they have been) and the fire won't spread further. Hoped for rain in that area (and indeed all the way north to Tahoe) this weekend have fizzled.

Been one hell of an Indian Summer so far.

I was talking to my mom yesterday. She says it's really Smoky where she lives. Cresco iowa. Saying the smoke is coming from Oregon and Washington. That's 2000 miles away. Is that possible?

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    I was talking to my mom yesterday. She says it's really Smoky where she lives. Cresco iowa. Saying the smoke is coming from Oregon and Washington. That's 2000 miles away. Is that possible?
    Flipping ahead and back a few days, I'd say yes
    https://worldview.earthdata.nasa.gov...ance_TrueColor

Although I'd credit CA before OR or WA. Looks like August Complex, Creek Fire, and Castle Fire making most of the recent smoke. So, she's smelling some fine NorCal ganja smoke from the August Complex, with giant sequoia smoke from Creek and Castle, and barely a whiff of fine Napa Cabernet from the Glass Fire. Savor before it's gone

Things are looking rough on the CO front range. The Cameron Peak fire seems to have Loveland and Ft. Collins in its sights.
    Name:  B658639D-0815-4914-928B-D37A252C7228.jpeg
Views: 712
Size:  166.5 KB

Crazy late season action for the Rockies.

yikes
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

#CalWoodFire started today near Jamestown, 17 miles NW of Boulder and high winds brought it down to hwy 36. A lot of homes in the almost 8000 acres burned since Noon. Pics from my South Boulder. Name:  PXL_20201017_202542080.MP.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  50.1 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201017_201429872.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	343895

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

yeah, that fire blew up. I read tonight (not confirmed) that the Greenbriar burned down.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Things are looking rough on the CO front range. The Cameron Peak fire seems to have Loveland and Ft. Collins in its sights.
    Name:  B658639D-0815-4914-928B-D37A252C7228.jpeg
Views: 712
Size:  166.5 KB

Crazy late season action for the Rockies.
    The Cameron Peak fire ran 17 miles yesterday through heavy timber, driven by sustained 80 MPH winds. It ran another 8 miles today. Pretty damn wild. Also, there isn't a single shot crew left on the roster in Region 2. All R2 shot crews were laid off for the season, and now that most resources are collecting unemployment the biggest fire in CO history has blown up.

CO seems to be investing in state fire resources which is good to see, but it seems like the May to early October availability for federal resources in R2 needs to be reevaluated going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by PowderHorse View Post
    #CalWoodFire started today near Jamestown, 17 miles NW of Boulder and high winds brought it down to hwy 36. A lot of homes in the almost 8000 acres burned since Noon. Pics from my South Boulder. Name:  PXL_20201017_202542080.MP.jpg
Views: 657
Size:  50.1 KBClick image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20201017_201429872.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	113.1 KB 
ID:	343895

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk
    Wow, that sucks to see. The Boulder area is quickly running out of unburned foothills.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    yeah, that fire blew up. I read tonight (not confirmed) that the Greenbriar burned down.
    Damn. Crazy that the fire ran so hard downhill. That's pretty extreme fire behavior to burn downhill to the highway. It's almost unheard of in CO, except for the Waldo Canyon Fire that had similar fire behavior in CO Springs.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    The Cameron Peak fire ran 17 miles yesterday through heavy timber, driven by sustained 80 MPH winds. It ran another 8 miles today. Pretty damn wild. Also, there isn't a single shot crew left on the roster in Region 2. All R2 shot crews were laid off for the season, and now that most resources are collecting unemployment the biggest fire in CO history has blown up.

CO seems to be investing in state fire resources which is good to see, but it seems like the May to early October availability for federal resources in R2 needs to be reevaluated going forward.

Wow, that sucks to see. The Boulder area is quickly running out of unburned foothills.

Damn. Crazy that the fire ran so hard downhill. That's pretty extreme fire behavior to burn downhill to the highway. It's almost unheard of in CO, except for the Waldo Canyon Fire that had similar fire behavior in CO Springs.
    R6 IHC's are basically done as well. I imagine they could extend the tours of the permanent seasonals and combine crews to form a smaller number of IHC or Type 2 IA crews. R5 year round staffing might need to a be a model more regions look at moving forward.

I believe one of the NIMO teams was contingency planning for this and the college departures at the national level this summer.

I don’t know if this has changed, but when I was in the game, the problem was that if federal temp seasonal employees (the majority of a fed HS crew) worked past 180 calendar days, they would have to be considered permanent employees and be given appointments which meant permanent (conditional) status and benefits. That seems like a good thing unless you’re one of those ruthless gov’t bean-counters.

It seems like this may be something the fed agencies are going to have to reckon with soon. It might be something of a game-changer on the fed wildfire employment front.

This is still the case. We were trying to get a small rx burn done this fall with the FS, but our window closed last week due to weather, most of the seasonal employees being released at the end of this week, and the crew was running around having to put out warming fires hunters were leaving. The next group gets released at the end of the next pay period.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    I don’t know if this has changed, but when I was in the game, the problem was that if federal temp seasonal employees (the majority of a fed HS crew) worked past 180 calendar days, they would have to be considered permanent employees and be given appointments which meant permanent (conditional) status and benefits. That seems like a good thing unless you’re one of those ruthless gov’t bean-counters.

It seems like this may be something the fed agencies are going to have to reckon with soon. It might be something of a game-changer on the fed wildfire employment front.
    The 180 day limit is my understanding as well, but it's also my understanding that most R2 resources get laid off around the 150 day mark (early May to early October) and don't actually come close to the 180 day limit. It's probably worth revisiting that, since most of the staffing for Cameron Peak is R6 contract crews at the moment and there are only 4 IHC's in region 2 at the moment (they are from R5 and R6).

I'm sure that the R2 perms are out working, but it seems like a major bummer to not have full crews available at the moment.

JFC, it seems like it might never end. This is crazy, 1000 acres!.
    Fire east of Taos grows to 1,000 acres

It was unknown what caused the blaze.
    Given that it hasn’t stormed for weeks, I bet it wasn’t lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I'm sure that the R2 perms are out working, but it seems like a major bummer to not have full crews available at the moment.
    Not a bummer for the GS-9s who get to leave the office and work for a GS-4 Squad Boss and GS-5 Crew Boss and make 120 hours of overtime for the tour.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    Not a bummer for the GS-9s who get to leave the office and work for a GS-4 Squad Boss and GS-5 Crew Boss and make 120 hours of overtime for the tour.
    Penny wise, dollar foolish!

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Penny wise, dollar foolish!
    lay off your seasonals who are on your district's budget if they arent on a P-code
    give your own department your 2 week salary's worth of budget space by going on a fire detail

win-win, locally, (if your district isn't burning)

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    The GS-9+ fire crews that get sent to Australia are my personal favorite.

And yes, the 1039 hour seasonal employee thing is still out there, alive and well.