Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    I haven’t been through Denio in 5-6 years but the burgers were still there and still delicious.
    The last time I was there a couple years ago they were filming a B-movie in costume. Always meant to look up what happened with that collective.

Yeah, um, it's out there if you haven't been there. Seemed quite normal to me in a strange way that it made me think why I thought it felt perfectly normal.

So, it gets a recommend from me. You have to really want to go though. I can't think of too many more remote places in the lower 48 with people.

That sounds about right! I’ll have to make a point to swing through on a Chukar trip this Fall.

Not very many people in 'Merca spend any time there. It's... unique. Up there in my top 3 in the U.S. for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Many picon's in both of those places for nearly a decade. I learned a lot in the muck and the hellco.
    Picón Punch ftmfw!

Quote Originally Posted by snapt View Post
    I haven’t been through Denio in 5-6 years but the burgers were still there and still delicious.
    FKNA!

And TRG...not many other places you could get a hit with the crowd on a place like Denio.

Whoever named the Karen fire wins this fire season.

^ “I want to speak to the manager of this fire.”

South East Idaho

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F933B639-648C-4741-909B-0B809C2EB233.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	576.0 KB 
ID:	335644Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3ED8C88E-8F61-414D-AD18-AAA8D9CF0D04.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	477.0 KB 
ID:	335640Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EFAC11A7-E740-49A9-A044-1E4AF3DD75BE.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	395.2 KB 
ID:	335641Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A2F092CE-54F8-4B00-93A5-3B504C747DEF.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	352.1 KB 
ID:	335642Click image for larger version. 

Name:	558922B2-CE1C-4B71-9583-5BFC4D341E03.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	404.4 KB 
ID:	335643

Covid has brought us back to the basics. Lots of line spikes no base camps and trying to social distancing were possible.

Matlock Fire Update:

July 29, 2020 – 10 a.m.

Firefighters are actively suppressing a wildfire located near Matlock Hill, approximately 13 miles northwest of Ukiah, Oregon on the North Fork John Day Ranger District.

The Matlock Fire, which is currently estimated at 60 acres, was reported on Tues., July 28 at 3:39 p.m. Fire managers located the wildfire with assistance from an Oregon Department of Forestry detection camera located on Black Mountain. The fire was caused by lightning and is burning in grass and timber with dead and down trees. The fire actively burned yesterday to the southeast with crowning, torching, and spotting. Gusty winds contributed to increased fire behavior and growth. Numerous resources aided in initial attack efforts, including support from Oregon Department of Forestry.

The Forest will inbrief the local Northeast Oregon Interagency Type 3 Incident Management Team today at 12 p.m. with plans for the team to take command of the fire tomorrow. An incident command post will be set up at the Ukiah school. The health and safety of the public and wildland fire responders is top priority and mitigations are being taken regarding group sizes by dispersing resources through separate and smaller fire camps and conducting virtual meetings when possible.

Current resources on scene include three Forest Service engines, one 20-person hand crew, two interagency hotshot crews, and two dozers. Firefighter suppression efforts are being supported by various aerial resources as needed, including two helicopters, single engine air tankers and large air tankers. Additional resources are on order. Today firefighters will continue to complete line construction, where terrain and fuels allow for crews to safely engage, while utilizing aircraft to slow fire spread and cool hotspots within the fire perimeter.

The latest fire information will be posted on the Blue Mountains Fire Information Blog. To receive updates on fires in the Blue Mountains, follow our blog at http://bluemountainfireinfo.blogspot.com/
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

As opposed to the uncontrolled fire in your loins when you lay eyes on sexy ass Ben Matlock...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3D1BD2A0-602F-4C7A-BF21-A4FBBACE050F.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	664.2 KB 
ID:	335801

Quote Originally Posted by telehacker View Post
    Covid has brought us back to the basics. Lots of line spikes no base camps and trying to social distancing were possible.
    Dude that’s awesome...
    Camp sucks ballz.

Here’s to chainsmoking 2-man wilderness IA’s all summer long mang.

This sucks.
    Two SEATs collide in eastern Nevada
    Where was the air attack supe on this?

And yeah,
    Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Here’s to chainsmoking 2-man wilderness IA’s all summer long mang.
    Two-manners r00l.

Referencing KQ’s post above, as a rof (retired old fuck) it’s interesting to me how there are now designated a Type 3 teams with in-briefings and all that, and they’re put on more complex fires. Seems like a good idea, just different from my day when Type 3 fires were a lot less complex and the Type 3 “teams” were just pulled together as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Update, both pilots died. RIP
    https://wildfiretoday.com/2020/07/31...ire-in-nevada/

Man, that is a bad day.

Referencing KQ’s post above, as a rof (retired old fuck) it’s interesting to me how there are now designated a Type 3 teams with in-briefings and all that, and they’re put on more complex fires. Seems like a good idea, just different from my day when Type 3 fires were a lot less complex and the Type 3 “teams” were just pulled together as needed.
    Maybe came out of the collateral duty issue that arose on the Cramer Fire? Also seemed to come about because the type 3 IC's would get shipped off to play DIVS somewhere and the forest wouldn't have IC3 staffing. So they created rotations for key positions like IC, OPS, LOGS. Then they train together preseason and establish procedures/plans etc.

The NE Type 3 Team is actually status'd on BMIDC's website.

Seemed to work well and made it easier on the duty officers.

What a nightmare. I have to wonder wtf happened, I feel awful for everyone involved. Fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post

Seemed to work well and made it easier on the duty officers.
    Resource procurement for type 3 fires was a pretty heavy burden on dispatch (in my day). Having some pre-planned setups would have reduced the clusterfuckery in my center (and definitely some smaller places I detailed) quite a bit. Smart move.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Resource procurement for type 3 fires was a pretty heavy burden on dispatch (in my day). Having some pre-planned setups would have reduced the clusterfuckery in my center (and definitely some smaller places I detailed) quite a bit. Smart move.
    Yeah, I think it made it a lot easier to make sure that when Engine Captain X was up for IC duty that his qualified backup wasn't out for the day or dispatched elsewhere, etc and eliminated the "is person Y available for the type III incident"?

Of course sometimes that meant everyone else was going off unit and you were sitting because you were on the roster in some capacity.

Our Dozer might have Karen’s IC beat...

Bummer deal about those seats. We sent a bunch of resources out of Winnemucca down that way the day prior and most of our air is headed down there today.

The fact that this thread hasn’t been active much has been a great sign so far. I know it’s still early in fire season, but I am cautiously optimistic. Hopefully the rest of the mags on here have been experiencing the same fortune.

We’ve had two small fire recently in the state- one north of missoula, and the other closer to Billings. Fire crews mobbed both of them, and basically been fully contained at this point. A little smoke in the valley, but at this point in August we are surprising fortunate.

Keeping those fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Lots of damage already done in AZ. But yeah most of the rest of the west has done pretty well so far. Oct/Nov are usually our worst months in Socal so time will tell here.

Try doing contact tracing on a 18 yr old rookie firefighter..................

This fire season year started march 15 trying to figure out how the _ _ _ _ are we going to do this.

I must give credit because we are still putting out fires during this pandemic.

On a side note Phillips Creek fire (sawtooth NF) looks like it hit Solider Mtn ski area.

https://soldiermountain.com/snowcam/

As I love to say PRAY FOR SNOW my friends

Quote Originally Posted by telehacker View Post
    Try doing contact tracing on a 18 yr old rookie firefighter..................

This fire season year started march 15 trying to figure out how the _ _ _ _ are we going to do this.

I must give credit because we are still putting out fires during this pandemic.

On a side note Phillips Creek fire (sawtooth NF) looks like it hit Solider Mtn ski area.

https://soldiermountain.com/snowcam/

As I love to say PRAY FOR SNOW my friends
    Man, Soldier doesn't ever really catch a break. They just opened their bike park and I believe is under new ownership.

Grizzly Creek Fire from my backyard Tuesday afternoon. Started in Glenwood Canyon Monday and then jumped the river and headed south. Burning some rugged ass terrain! Seems to have mellowed overnight. Hoping for calm days ahead.

Name:  IMG_2563.jpg
Views: 405
Size:  75.6 KB