Page 34 of 43 FirstFirst ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast
Results 826 to 850 of 1062
  1. #826
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    13,756

    2020 Wildfire Season

    From a friend
    Name:  718204B4-E425-445B-BEED-E9AF92936108.jpeg
Views: 553
Size:  190.6 KB

  2. #827
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    50 miles E of Paradise
    Posts
    9,993
    The background needs to be brown, with a faded orange circle (or not) representing the sun

    For reasons I can't figure out, after two great days air quality in Central OR declined today - AQI=100. I cannot see the Sisters clearly from 7 miles away
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

  3. #828
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    18,122
    Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    The background needs to be brown, with a faded orange circle (or not) representing the sun

    For reasons I can't figure out, after two great days air quality in Central OR declined today - AQI=100. I cannot see the Sisters clearly from 7 miles away
    Today dawned beautiful but the hazy has since moved back in though we are still in the "good" category but a couple of points. To be fair they did say this would happen and it's not like the fires have stopped burning.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis


    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  4. #829
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    50 miles E of Paradise
    Posts
    9,993
    ^^^Oh yea totally understood. Wind is from the west and there are 360K acres burning 50 miles west of me. It was just nice being able to open the windows Sat PM and yesterday.

    Supposed to rain Wed night through Friday
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

  5. #830
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    18,122
    Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    ^^^Oh yea totally understood. Wind is from the west and there are 360K acres burning 50 miles west of me. It was just nice being able to open the windows Sat PM and yesterday.

    Supposed to rain Wed night through Friday
    I can't tell you how wonderful it was to be able to leave my bedroom window open.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis


    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  6. #831
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    50 miles E of Paradise
    Posts
    9,993
    On MTB ride yesterday I dropped down into this low shaded spot and got the distinct smell of fresh juniper, sage, mint or cannabis - couldn’t tell which, but it was a very nice change
    Check Out Ullr's Mobile Avalanche Safety Tools for iOS and Android
    www.ullrlabs.com

  7. #832
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    18,122
    Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    On MTB ride yesterday I dropped down into this low shaded spot and got the distinct smell of fresh juniper, sage, mint or cannabis - couldn’t tell which, but it was very nice
    Catnip smells very skunky like cannabis.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis


    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  8. #833
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    inpdx
    Posts
    13,756
    Winds shifted here around lunch time today and we had the distinct smoke smell again for a few hours

    cleared out by the end of the afternoon

  9. #834
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    idaho panhandle!
    Posts
    7,964
    The wind shift on friday evening along with rain made for a nice smoke free weekend in the Panhandle. Felt so good to breath clean air again. Fishing Thursday and Friday in smoke gave me a massive headache.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	62231443158__F9DC9BD0-AFDE-41A3-87DB-2698558021D5.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.06 MB 
ID:	340969

  10. #835
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    righthere/rightnow
    Posts
    2,387
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C23DA87A-6597-4DB0-952F-AEA7FD243E01.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	430.6 KB 
ID:	340971

    Found over at r/maporn, 3D render of current fire boundaries in CA.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/MapPorn/com...ifornias_2020/



  11. #836
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    Access to Granlibakken
    Posts
    8,069
    Shit

  12. #837
    DJSapp's Avatar
    DJSapp is online now (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    All over NCal
    Posts
    6,670
    Quote Originally Posted by mud View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C23DA87A-6597-4DB0-952F-AEA7FD243E01.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	430.6 KB 
ID:	340971

    Found over at r/maporn, 3D render of current fire boundaries in CA.

    https://www.reddit.com/r/MapPorn/com...ifornias_2020/


    That's freaking cool and terrifying. Once you realize that the August complex is the size of the LA basin...

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    Fat fuck bubbas are not erosion.

  13. #838
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    18,122
    Manresa State Beach.




    Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office

    Take a look at this satellite photo displaying the burn scars from the SCU Lightning Complex and CZU Lightning Complex fires.

    Our partners at CAL FIRE and Santa Clara County Fire Department have been doing a tremendous job, with the SCU fire currently at 98% containment. We cannot thank them enough for keeping our community safe! �� ��

    (Photo from Caltopo.com)

    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis


    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  14. #839
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    18,122
    Red Salmon Complex
    ·
    Methods of Structure Protection – “Cabin Wrap”
    Firefighters can use an aluminized structure wrap to protect buildings from radiant heat and burning embers. These “fire blankets” or “cabin wraps” reflect 96% of radiant heat away from the structures during a wildfire. This method of fire protection can be used in areas where water supplies and access is limited. Photos show an "unwrapped" cabin and "wrapped" cabin in the Red Salmon Complex.
    #RedSalmonComplex

    U.S. Forest Service - Klamath National Forest U.S. Forest Service - Six Rivers National Forest U.S. Forest Service - Shasta-Trinity National Forest Hoopa Fire Department and Office of Emergency Services Yurok tribe Karuk tribe



    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis


    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  15. #840
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    Wenatchee
    Posts
    8,185
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Manresa State Beach.




    Santa Clara County Sheriff's Office

    Take a look at this satellite photo displaying the burn scars from the SCU Lightning Complex and CZU Lightning Complex fires.

    Our partners at CAL FIRE and Santa Clara County Fire Department have been doing a tremendous job, with the SCU fire currently at 98% containment. We cannot thank them enough for keeping our community safe! �� ��

    (Photo from Caltopo.com)

    Wow, it looks like the entirety of Henry Coe State park burned. Great spring and late fall biking. I believe the second largest state park in CA.


    Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

  16. #841
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    low and inside
    Posts
    5,132
    ^^ that satellite image and the rendering above really drive home the immensity of what's going on the west coast. it's been bad enough surveying similar images from australia and the amazon summers past.

    a red flag warning has been issued for western mass.
    as from the NEK posted days. back we've had an extremely hot and dry summer in the NE.

    wishing good steady rains for all.

    stay safe.

  17. #842
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    truckee
    Posts
    14,476
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    That's freaking cool and terrifying. Once you realize that the August complex is the size of the LA basin...

    Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk
    Understand that that map shows the boundaries of all the fires this season--both what has burned and what is actively burning. The color scheme gives the impression that all of that terrain is actively burning. The NWCG map will show where the active fire fronts are. Still terrifying though,

    Re wrapping houses. How about reflective fire blankets that roll up under the eaves that could be deployed with the push of a button when the family evacuates. (Or here in California, when the family is stupid enough to try and shelter in place.) Makes more sense to me than the sprinkler systems required in new houses, at least in high wildfire risk areas.

  18. #843
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    EWA
    Posts
    18,122
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post

    Re wrapping houses. How about reflective fire blankets that roll up under the eaves that could be deployed with the push of a button when the family evacuates. (Or here in California, when the family is stupid enough to try and shelter in place.) Makes more sense to me than the sprinkler systems required in new houses, at least in high wildfire risk areas.
    What you need is a metal roof and Overhead doors installed under the eaves all around the house. Of course your house is going to have to be pretty plain architechtually but hey... you might have one to come back to after a fire.

    My garage door is a Overhead door that matches my metal roof. I'm really happy with it.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis


    Kindness is a bridge between all people

    Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

  19. #844
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Idaho
    Posts
    8,803
    It seems building codes for PC9 and 10 zones would require self home protection like what you mentioned but I know they don't. I'm not for peoples' homes burning but at some point, should scarce public resources be going to protect private assets in front of public safety and public assets?

  20. #845
    DJSapp's Avatar
    DJSapp is online now (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    All over NCal
    Posts
    6,670
    Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Understand that that map shows the boundaries of all the fires this season--both what has burned and what is actively burning. The color scheme gives the impression that all of that terrain is actively burning. The NWCG map will show where the active fire fronts are. Still terrifying though,
    Oh, I'm totally aware. If the LNU, Bear and August were all burning all of that area at the moment, I'd be better off breathing directly from the stacks of a factory in London circa 1880 that I would be breathing inside of my own home. The last 5 days have been good enough to go outside an exercise and I'm counting that as a win.
    Fat fuck bubbas are not erosion.

  21. #846
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    7,767
    Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    ^^ that satellite image and the rendering above really drive home the immensity of what's going on the west coast. it's been bad enough surveying similar images from australia and the amazon summers past.

    a red flag warning has been issued for western mass.
    as from the NEK posted days. back we've had an extremely hot and dry summer in the NE.

    wishing good steady rains for all.

    stay safe.
    We went to moderate yesterday and will most likely go red flag tomorrow. Reality is that it's already at or beyond red flag in a lot of areas. We did a little loop a few days ago up the lower Hudson Valley and whole farms are browned out rather than harvested. I have a feeling some went out of business mid season. One of the vineyards we stopped at said they ran out of water for irrigation a few weeks ago and may lose most of this years harvest so they're not sure if they'll still be in business at this time next year if they can't salvage enough of it because the extreme wetness the last two seasons cut their yield in half.

  22. #847
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Last Best City in the Last Best Place
    Posts
    3,580
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    What you need is a metal roof and Overhead doors installed under the eaves all around the house. Of course your house is going to have to be pretty plain architechtually but hey... you might have one to come back to after a fire.

    My garage door is a Overhead door that matches my metal roof. I'm really happy with it.
    Or just install something like that over the vents in the soffits. From what I've read, one of the primary ways houses catch fire during a wildfire is embers being sucked up into the vents in the eaves and igniting the attic. That or embers landing on wood decks or shake roofs. I don't think it's nearly as likely for embers to ignite the siding. Of course if you have foliage right up against the siding then all bets are off.

  23. #848
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Posts
    12,240
    Quote Originally Posted by yeahman View Post
    Or just install something like that over the vents in the soffits. From what I've read, one of the primary ways houses catch fire during a wildfire is embers being sucked up into the vents in the eaves and igniting the attic. That or embers landing on wood decks or shake roofs. I don't think it's nearly as likely for embers to ignite the siding. Of course if you have foliage right up against the siding then all bets are off.
    Embers lodging in eaves, overhangs, and up under balconies and decks, assuming there’s exposed wood in those locations.

  24. #849
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    ?
    Posts
    6,836
    A metal roof that is not part of a Class A assembly isn't going to offer much protection.
    I remember a bottomless freedom...

  25. #850
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Seattle
    Posts
    31,468
    Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Red Salmon Complex
    ·
    Methods of Structure Protection – “Cabin Wrap”
    Firefighters can use an aluminized structure wrap to protect buildings from radiant heat and burning embers. These “fire blankets” or “cabin wraps” reflect 96% of radiant heat away from the structures during a wildfire. This method of fire protection can be used in areas where water supplies and access is limited. Photos show an "unwrapped" cabin and "wrapped" cabin in the Red Salmon Complex.
    #RedSalmonComplex

    U.S. Forest Service - Klamath National Forest U.S. Forest Service - Six Rivers National Forest U.S. Forest Service - Shasta-Trinity National Forest Hoopa Fire Department and Office of Emergency Services Yurok tribe Karuk tribe



    A few years ago when fire threatened them many of the cabins at the base of crystal mtn blvd got this treatment.

    It was arranged by and paid for by their insurers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •