Page 22 of 46 FirstFirst ... 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    He has yet to even send a rake. I am sure the situation in the west brings a smile to his face.
    *wonders if he will claim fires were intentionally started to make him look bad*
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

It's amazing the lack of response from DC. Sadly, it is so on brand that it is pretty much expected.

Theory: If dry weather continues like this for years, pretty much all of California forests will burn down and the communities within.

Combine all past fire maps in the past 5? 10? years, and it certainly looks like CA is well on it's way to having this happen. And climate scientists are freaking out on how this years fires are happening, so it only gets worse from here.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Can someone help me out here:

Did I miss the part where the leader of our country flew out to the west coast to survey the damage and offer his heartfelt condolences to those citizens who have lost everything?

Just asking. I'm sure it happened, didn't it?
    You must be new to the planet Earth.

Welcome, we will not take you to our leader.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

He has to remain available in case something bad happens in a red or swing state.

Question for Oregon folks. Are a half million of you really out of your homes due to wildfire?

That number sounds really big - that's 1 of every 8 people. It should have produced traffic jam and alternate housing problems I'm hearing nothing about.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    It's amazing the lack of response from DC. Sadly, it is so on brand that it is pretty much expected.
    The irony being that most of rural CA where most of the fires are burning is solidly Trump country.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    The irony being that most of rural CA where most of the fires are burning is solidly Trump country.
    But the state is solidly D so the electoral votes are going to Biden, regardless. No political advantage to Trump to visit.

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Question for Oregon folks. Are a half million of you really out of your homes due to wildfire?

That number sounds really big - that's 1 of every 8 people. It should have produced traffic jam and alternate housing problems I'm hearing nothing about.
    Wife and kids are at my in-laws, SIL and her kids are at the in-laws, my uncle evac'd to another uncle's house, two of my cousins and each of their husbands/wives and their four kids are also at that uncles house. Each fam decided to have one person stay at home if possible (i.e., not in Level 3 area) because there have been reports of looting as people evacuate. 500K seems high though...but that is only 12% of the population statewide...so, that's probably close IMO.
    Damn shame, throwing away a perfectly good white boy like that

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    But the state is solidly D so the electoral votes are going to Biden, regardless. No political advantage to Trump to visit.
    Probably also is just throwing up his hands out of being overwhelmed with the scope of the problems in our country, some his doing and some from mother nature.

Has anyone experienced mild hallucinations from smoke exposure? Rode my bike to and from work in SF without a mask like an idiot yesterday. By the end of the day my memories of 5 minutes prior would mix with memories of what I thought were dreams.

At first I thought, no that was my dream last night. But after 5 hours I realized my mind kept creating memories of what I thought were dreams from last night, mixed with what had happened 5 minutes ago. I knew what was real and what was my "dream" but it kept happening and happening. Maybe this doesn't make sense but I'm still not thinking super clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by Adolf Allerbush View Post
    Wife and kids are at my in-laws, SIL and her kids are at the in-laws, my uncle evac'd to another uncle's house, two of my cousins and each of their husbands/wives and their four kids are also at that uncles house. Each fam decided to have one person stay at home if possible (i.e., not in Level 3 area) because there have been reports of looting as people evacuate. 500K seems high though...but that is only 12% of the population statewide...so, that's probably close IMO.
    There have been some questions about that on local Portland forums. Some speculated that the 500k number includes everyone who is Level 1 "on watch", Level 2 "get ready" and Level 3 "get the hell out".

Trump had at least freely made fire management declarations and a disaster declaration in California

Seattle skyline from the Space Needle:

Smoke is really rolling in to W2 now. Feel bad for my horses but there is nothing I can do for them. Crikey, just opened the door to let the cat out and wow - the smoke coming in was toxic.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Well, yeah. It shows you how entirely transactional his mind is. Even people who love him don't mean shit if they don't provide a direct and immediate benefit to him. Zero empathy. What's really sad about it is those people will continue to love him anyway.

Spokane's not bad, yet. Currently in Moderate at 67 but the weekend forecast isn't good. From Very Unhealthy to Hazardous predicted. That's going to screw up my MB ride tomorrow...among other things.

Spokane's not bad, yet. Currently in Moderate at 67 but the weekend forecast isn't good. From Very Unhealthy to Hazardous predicted. That's going to screw up my MB ride tomorrow...among other things.
    We’ve been spared so far but like you say, looks like that’s going to change for the worse. I was really looking forward to a smoke free fall. Alas...

Only time it's been this bad here was when Mt St Helens blew. Last night air index was 178, now it's 96. Going back up before it's over

Quote Originally Posted by dan_pdx View Post
    There have been some questions about that on local Portland forums. Some speculated that the 500k number includes everyone who is Level 1 "on watch", Level 2 "get ready" and Level 3 "get the hell out".
    I thought the 500K number is statewide. If it's just PDX area then I'd say it's definitely an overestimate. that said, I think a lot of people in places like the OC and Canby bailed even though it's technically level 2. Then you have people in our situation that are level 1 and have other options so they bailed.

The smoke is-a coming

Airnow.gov says our number is 79 but there is no way that's accurate. It was 86 last night and I could see stars now I can barely see a quarter mile and the air is toxic.

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    Theory: If dry weather continues like this for years, pretty much all of California forests will burn down and the communities within.

Combine all past fire maps in the past 5? 10? years, and it certainly looks like CA is well on it's way to having this happen. And climate scientists are freaking out on how this years fires are happening, so it only gets worse from here.
    I'm no climate denier, but from what I've read, recent events have much more to do with a century of fire suppression as a management strategy and poor construction practices leading to a lack of defensible space than it does climate change. California has always had hot dry easterly winds at the peak of the dry season. It has always had fires. It has never had the density of fuel that it has today.

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    A little thicker here. This is a view of the Sisters, which are 7-9 air miles to the west. Can't see the sun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0225.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	550.2 KB 
ID:	339705
    I had to go to USPS. Wore my surgical mask from the moment I opened the garage door until I got home. Still got a massive headache.

But we still have a home...

Quote Originally Posted by jackattack View Post
    I'm no climate denier, but from what I've read, recent events have much more to do with a century of fire suppression as a management strategy and poor construction practices leading to a lack of defensible space than it does climate change. California has always had hot dry easterly winds at the peak of the dry season. It has always had fires. It has never had the density of fuel that it has today.
    That's all true, and combined with climate change is why i think everything will burn in CA eventually. And this year, CA hasn't yet had peak dry/firewind season if I remember right.

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    A little thicker here. This is a view of the Sisters, which are 7-9 air miles to the west. Can't see the sun.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0225.JPG 
Views:	68 
Size:	550.2 KB 
ID:	339705
    I had to go to USPS. Wore my surgical mask from the moment I opened the garage door until I got home. Still got a massive headache.

But we still have a home...
    Nice fence!

I stupidly didn't grab and N95 from the barn after doing morning chores now I'm going to have to go out and get one for my trip to town which I have to do today or I'd stay home. My lungs hurt already.

Keep getting whiffs of smoke smell as I sit here at the kitchen table. I've got the AC off so not sure where it's coming from maybe the dryer vent or some odd opening you never think about.