Page 29 of 46 FirstFirst ... 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 ... LastLast
    It's fun listening to news people and politicians on the east coast who have never set foot in a forest west of the Mississippi talk about wildfires.

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    It's fun listening to news people and politicians on the east coast who have never set foot in a forest west of the Mississippi talk about wildfires.
    I believe the person talking about putting the fires out was from CA.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by MagnificentUnicorn View Post
    I believe the person talking about putting the fires out was from CA.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Yeah, there are people in California who've never set foot in the mountains too. It's fun watching them broadcast from Blue Canyon in a blizzard. (Although in recent years they seem to have to go up to Soda Springs to find snow instead of rain.)

[QUOTE=MagnificentUnicorn;6069559]I believe the person talking about putting the fires out was from CA.

Listening to the firefighters, it's a bit amazing we can contain them at all. It's either smoky and we have trouble seeing where the fire is, and can't use aircraft. Or there's a breeze, which clears the air somewhat, but then fire activity increases. Then it gets too breezy and the aircraft can't fly, and fire spread is too dangerous to fight directly or indirectly. On top of all that, it's often too steep to fight, and it's usually too hot and too dry. At the moment there's too much fire / not enough firefighters. And just when things seem to be going ok, the Santa Ana / Diablo / local name for "wicked witch of the east" spins up and drives the fire on a 10 or 20 mile crown run. Firefighters keep a positive attitude, and somehow start enough fires to get ahead of the fires.

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    Dude, I have shit in my lungs that shows up on x-ray and that means I now get monitoring x-rays. Smoke, some respiratory illness I had, I don't know. The science tells me I am statistically more likely to get a variety of diseases as I age because of that exposure..
    Sorry, that sucks. None of my fire coworkers have had any respiratory issues that I know of. Back problems: yes. Arthritis: yes. Hearing loss: yes. Poverty: yes. Generalized st00pidity: widespread.
    One died young from colon cancer.

I wonder if you got more of that noxious poison oak smoke than I did. The times I got a big dose of really acrid poison oak smoke made me pretty sick. I could see where that could do some tissue damage. I guess you never know what’s burning in those interface fires.

I stand corrected. You’re all gonna die!

According to Matt Zaffino a Portland meteorologist. When the power came back on at Timberline they were able to download the data and he made this graphic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	F689E407-F2D3-4ACA-8AA2-1D689212998F.jpeg 
Views:	76 
Size:	203.7 KB 
ID:	340166
    Last edited by Storm Hood; 09-14-2020 at 10:38 AM. Reason: Mispelled Zaffino

Well today is the day they've been saying the Columbia Basin should see the smoke clear and I'm just not seeing it. Literally. Dark with that horrible yellow cast. Visiblity about a quarter mile. Wind speed zero.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    Well today is the day they've been saying the Columbia Basin should see the smoke clear and I'm just not seeing it. Literally. Dark with that horrible yellow cast. Visiblity about a quarter mile. Wind speed zero.
    https://cliffmass.blogspot.com/2020/...r-quality.html

Smoke is making it's own weather that isn't accounted for in models.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

^^^Yup KQ, according to NWS, the AQI in Central OR is supposed to get down below 100 by mid-afternoon - from 413 now.

I’m skeptical but I will take it if it comes

In other news, armed crazies are forming roadblocks in East Multnomah county looking for Antifa arsonists. Police are putting a stop to that

All the models I was looking at were saying the same thing, clearing by last night and today. Now they're showing good AQI, lower than 20, by Tuesday evening in the Willamette valley

Quote Originally Posted by KQ View Post
    We were supposed to be getting some relief today, too. However, the latest is showing us staying in the 300+ categories through Thursday with some potential relief via thunderstorms on Friday.... Yeah, that's really gonna help.

Quote Originally Posted by PB View Post
    Continuing the climate change discussion : trying to remember any significant episodes of smoke in the Bay Area between 1960 and 1990 and coming up blank, as in none. Assuming none occurred but would defer to sharper minds.
    for the Bay Area (San Francisco Oakland Hayward), 0-2 days? a year of AQI 201-300 for the 1980s
    https://www.epa.gov/outdoor-air-qual...year-tile-plot
    More than that for Sacramento. You can pick Nd plot all kinds of places in the us, cool tool.

current episodes might stick out more because the air is generally much better than it was then (shittiest air was ~1970 in the Bay Area iirc)

Weird situation here at noon. The ceiling is lifting - can no longer stare directly at where the sun is supposed to be - now you can sorta see it.

Yet AQI is still 415.

Very interesting tool dunfree. Thanks for sharing it.

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    for the Bay Area (San Francisco Oakland Hayward), 0-2 days? a year of AQI 201-300 for the 1980s
    https://www.epa.gov/outdoor-air-qual...year-tile-plot
    More than that for Sacramento. You can pick Nd plot all kinds of places in the us, cool tool.

current episodes might stick out more because the air is generally much better than it was then (shittiest air was ~1970 in the Bay Area iirc)
    Wow, you can really see the effect of July 4th on air quality with that thing. Plot PM2.5 for LA for 20 years and there is a big red line running down the plot right at 7/4. Similar (but only yellow) with Seattle.
    "Great barbecue makes you want to slap your granny up the side of her head." - Southern Saying

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Weird situation here at noon. The ceiling is lifting - can no longer stare directly at where the sun is supposed to be - now you can sorta see it.

Yet AQI is still 415.
    Here in town it seems to be lifting. You can actually see the sun (can still stare at it) but heading home (SW of town) it was like driving into an abyss. AQI 237 - monitor is in town. Station on the other side of me in Wallula says AQI 384.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

We seemed to have settled in at 417 over the past four or five hours following yesterday's 495-500 readings. Not looking good to get any real relief. I laid off our crews this week pending the air clearing up. Roofing on days like today would not be a good thing.

Full steam ahead with outdoor construction work here. Nasty air quality, though. AQI sitting at 311 with a temp of 66.6 degrees.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    with a temp of 66.6 degrees.
    Coincidence?????? I think not.....
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Oh and Trump just said at the presser in California that " I don't think science really knows....." when one of Newsome's people cornered him on climate change..... Along with "it's going to cool off."
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Full steam ahead with outdoor construction work here. Nasty air quality, though. AQI sitting at 311 with a temp of 66.6 degrees.
    Following our decision to not have the crews work, we got notice from one of the GC's we're working for that all outdoor/unventilated areas of the site are closed to work until AQI < 150. That pretty well shuts us down for the week. Hoping for the predicted rain at the end of this week.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    We seemed to have settled in at 417 over the past four or five hours following yesterday's 495-500 readings. Not looking good to get any real relief. I laid off our crews this week pending the air clearing up. Roofing on days like today would not be a good thing.
    One Kennewick Dutch Bros. coffee franchise owner shut his stores down because he didn't think it was healthy for his workers but I noticed one in W2 was open.

Saw many people outside dining when I went into town and construction work going on. Even saw a woman standing outside her work smoking which seemed redundant. LOL!!

Some people seem to be okay with the smoke. Their lungs are made of sterner stuff than mine because I can feel it - a heaviness in my chest, a sore throat and a burning in my eyes and nose.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldMember View Post
    Following our decision to not have the crews work, we got notice from one of the GC's we're working for that all outdoor/unventilated areas of the site are closed to work until AQI < 150. That pretty well shuts us down for the week. Hoping for the predicted rain at the end of this week.
    Got a call from a friend on the west side (Woodinville), it's raining lightly there.

Quote Originally Posted by seano732 View Post
    Oh and Trump just said at the presser in California that " I don't think science really knows....." when one of Newsome's people cornered him on climate change..... Along with "it's going to cool off."
    Jesus H. Christ, that guy...

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Jesus H. Christ, that guy...
    And the guy he was addressing was the State Director of Natural Resources....We're fukt.
    -Ottime
    -BMillsSkier

Did he hand out some rakes?