Page 44 of 46 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 1146
    Keeps going like this they're going to have to start naming fires with Greek letters.

https://wildfiretoday.com/2020/10/24...efighters-pay/

Maybe just maybe change is coming.

Quote Originally Posted by telehacker View Post
    I really hope so, but IIRC this isn’t the first time legislation like this has been introduced. In the past it died in committee. We’ll see.

Contact your reps.

Full time employees, fight fires during fire season and do inspections and prevention in the non-fire season. This shouldn’t be that hard right?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Mental health issues to the forefront, due to a string of seriously ass-kicking seasons.
    https://wildfiretoday.com/2020/10/23...mental-health/

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Mental health issues to the forefront, due to a string of seriously ass-kicking seasons.
    https://wildfiretoday.com/2020/10/23...mental-health/
    Choosing to do an extremely hard, dangerous, seasonal job for low pay--would suggest preexisting mental illness. But thank you all for doing it. Thank you.

^ Heh. “Strong backs and weak minds”

Firefighters stop East Troublesome Fire outside Estes Park, Colorado

Operations Chief said they had a “very good day” Friday

https://wildfiretoday.com/2020/10/25...park-colorado/

The fuels treatments helped significantly. Those fuels treatments are what gave us a really good defensive start to our day today when we saw that. It gave us something to work off of and to build off of.

Humidity has dropped from 93% to 15% with winds gusting to 30+ in the CA foothills. Hoping for no new outbreaks.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Private contractors who in the past contracted with the Forest Service to supply bulldozers and other equipment to fight big fires are now being sidelined due to bureaucratic snafus.
    https://www.sacbee.com/news/californ...ainstage_card2

winds are really cooking at 7000’ west side central sierra
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Hard to get good info here on the EC, did the snow in CO help put down some of the fires?

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Hard to get good info here on the EC, did the snow in CO help put down some of the fires?
    It certainly didn't hurt...

Updates here: https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/

There are FB links in individual fire pages there with more recent updates, as well...

Two fire fighters burned bad in Orange County. Vibes.

Quote Originally Posted by Rideski View Post
    Two fire fighters burned bad in Orange County. Vibes.
    The Silverado Fire. Santa Anna Winds faning a bad fire in the Irvine Santa Anna area. I just saw a report that over 100,000 have been evacuated. The power company has taken the blame. This one looks real bad. Densely populated. Lots of circa 60's Neighbourhoods full of houses stacked 15 feet apart. All surrounded by brown tall grass.
    Own your fail. ~Jer~

Quote Originally Posted by MTT View Post
    The Silverado Fire. Santa Anna Winds faning a bad fire in the Irvine Santa Anna area. I just saw a report that over 100,000 have been evacuated. The power company has taken the blame. This one looks real bad. Densely populated. Lots of circa 60's Neighbourhoods full of houses stacked 15 feet apart. All surrounded by brown tall grass.
    I don't believe that they're 1960's developments up in the hills, but densely packed McMansions is absolutely right. The older developments are on the flatlands. Lots of clay tile roofs in the hills should help though.

Best of luck LA/OC
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    I don't believe that they're 1960's developments up in the hills, but densely packed McMansions is absolutely right. The older developments are on the flatlands. Lots of clay tile roofs in the hills should help though.

Best of luck LA/OC

I partially grew up on those flatlands and could walk the few blocks from one of those homes into the evac zone. Agree, many of the evacuated homes in the hills are packed, like 2ft setbacks, and less than 25 yrs old. Of course, mixed in are lower income high density residential developments.

New bad religion is the worst. Plus side to your post,I listened to suffer tonight, hell of a record
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post

Best of luck LA/OC

And it took me under a half hour 🤘🤘🤘

Yabbut ...... Spirit rules.

Continuing the drum beat supporting more prescribed fire

https://www.npr.org/2020/10/27/92790...CmeStHbCEuDZuw

^ Good article. It sums up the scientific causes and issues involved, but it doesn’t really address the crucial next step, which IMO is getting the public educated and supportive of landscape-scale fuels treatments. I don’t have a solution for that, I think it’s in the realm of social sciences to get the public on board with science-based large-scale Rx fire, mitigation, and thinning work. It will be expensive, have a certain amount of risk, be pretty inconvenient, and involve accepting that treated lands will look very different and not always pretty for a while.

And it’s not just the public, but the land management leaders, described in the article as cautious. They’re cautious because they get the crap beat out of them, figuratively, by the public that doesn’t get it, and ultimately, their bosses are chicken-shit politicians that respond much better to public pressure than they do to science and common sense. To be timely, one only has to look at the COVID situation to see this dynamic in action.

Sorry, I’m feeling cynical this morning, thanks for letting me sound off.

A pretty good piece, sort of poignant, about hotshot life.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    ^ Good article. It sums up the scientific causes and issues involved, but it doesn’t really address the crucial next step, which IMO is getting the public educated and supportive of landscape-scale fuels treatments. I don’t have a solution for that, I think it’s in the realm of social sciences to get the public on board with science-based large-scale Rx fire, mitigation, and thinning work. It will be expensive, have a certain amount of risk, be pretty inconvenient, and involve accepting that treated lands will look very different and not always pretty for a while.

And it’s not just the public, but the land management leaders, described in the article as cautious. They’re cautious because they get the crap beat out of them, figuratively, by the public that doesn’t get it, and ultimately, their bosses are chicken-shit politicians that respond much better to public pressure than they do to science and common sense. To be timely, one only has to look at the COVID situation to see this dynamic in action.

Sorry, I’m feeling cynical this morning, thanks for letting me sound off.
    Getting public support is getting easier all the time. Getting money out of Congress and state govt isn't.