Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    ^^^ the difference, with this one, is that NWS observed-- by radar --rotation in the column. I am not sure if their radar is good enough to detect firewhirls (or dust devils, for that matter). Of course, rotation doesn't mean a tornado is 100% likely but... the odds are good, and I presume the protocol is to issue a warning whenever certain radar obs are made.
    I’ll be following this. Interesting for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    ^^^

Just so you know where I’m coming from, I’ve seen a lot of fire whirls, which look like little mini tornadoes and happen fairly often, but in my mind a tornado is a different animal by orders of magnitude. Fire whirls are short-term events more closely related to dust devils.

But hey, I’m willing to learn.
    I'm not an expert at all (on anything really), but that lady posted it and everyone was like, holy shit take that super rare video down and sell it to all the news agencies (who replied, asking for use for free.) FIre guys were like, I've only seen that once in 20 years of work and I've never seen video of it, or holy shit, I've never seen that. So your skepticism seems completely valid.

I saw it, it was a tornado without question. Did not look like any flames coming from it. I'm sure it will be on the news soon enough!

This is a great time to ask Meadow Skipper: whats the longest distance confirmed spot fire youve observed or that was observed on an incident you worked?

I would assume a real tornado would be sending out spots on the higher end of what anyone is used to seeing.

I just started a discussion about the fire tornado thing on a FB group for NorCal Fireweather. I’ll update here when it pans out.

The longest spotting I ever saw? Hmmm...in Yellowstone ‘88, Alaska ‘88, New Mexico ‘00 & ‘11, I saw spotting upwards of two miles ahead of the front. Hellish super-dry winds and fuels.

Holy shit. That NorCal Fireweather FB group has a video of what definitely looks like a tornado to me, rolling along in a sage flat. But it didn’t seem to me to be carrying flame, just dust, smoke, and wind like a regular tornado. It’s a private group or I’d post a link. This could be a big deal.

Fuh Kin A! Makes me glad to be retired.

One response to my query so far.
    We've known about fire whirls for a long time and there have been reports of "Fire Tornado" for years but never actually documented until the advent of cell phone cameras and fire meteorologists.. There is still some discussion over what exactly is a fire tornado but so far to date they've been born out of the fire itself and carry fire long distances. In this case, the cloud formation is capable of producing an actual classic mid-west style (though we do get them in CA though mostly in the valley) "rope tornado" that is not made up of fire but could move through the fire or, unlike a "firenado" be totally separate from it. .

“August 15, 2020 at 2:42 PM Tornado Warning for Southeastern Lassen County in northern California

Until 330 PM PDT.
    At 228 PM PDT, a pyrocumulonimbus from the Loyalton Wildfire is capable of producing a fire induced tornado and outflow winds in excess of 60 mph was located south of Chilcoot, and is nearly stationary.
    HAZARD…Tornado.

SOURCE…Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT…Extreme fire behavior with strong outflow winds capable of downing trees and starting new fires. This is and extremely dangerous situation for fire fighters.

This tornadic pyrocumulonimbus will remain over mainly rural areas of southeastern Lassen County in the vicinity of the fire.”

https://yubanet.com/regional-fires/loyalton/

Small wildfire in Bend yday, out now
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1597584897.943208.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	698.2 KB 
ID:	337323
    Let me lock in the system at Warp 2
    Push it on into systematic overdrive
    You know what to do

Grizzly Creek now 25k acres.....smoke not as bad but picking up in the afternoons. They appear to have held it in the No Name drainage from moving further west but it’s marching E, S, and N.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Re: tornado. Yikes.

I have an equal mix of missing being there for all the new crazy fire behavior and being glad I don’t have to deal with that stuff anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Re: tornado. Yikes.

I have an equal mix of missing being there for all the new crazy fire behavior and being glad I don’t have to deal with that stuff anymore.

A rare fire tornado is spotted near a blaze in California
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Seems like the NWS has been busy coming up with new weather phenomena--or at least naming them--in recent years. Starting with El Nino, then atmospheric river, polar vortex, derecho, pyrocumulus, fire tornado. I know I'm leaving out some of the good ones. Naming winter storms.

2020 Wildfire Season

My speculation/spit ball about the fire-nado thing is that since they’ve been clearly observed (Carr Fire) and are an exceptional hazard, the wx folks are closely watching for them when pyro-cumulus clouds form. It’s a matter of refinements in the wx forecasting field. Maybe like when they escalated a red flag warning to a “purple” warning several years ago in California.
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 08-16-2020 at 09:51 PM.

the difference that I see isn't anything regarding the dynamics of the tornado but, rather...... in the places these things have formed, haven't people already been told to get the fuck out? next to a 10,000 acre crown fire those F2 tornadoes don't even look like the biggest threat.

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Attachment 337210

Just took this from Lake Granby , not good
    Was up in the park yesterday. Clear in the morning then it looked like a mushroom cloud and got pretty smokey. Ash appeared to start covering some peaks.

As others have said, gorgeous area up there. Holds a special place in my heart. Lotsa beetle kill.

Ash all over outside this morning.

Name:	IMG_1611.JPG 
Views:	89 
Size:	204.1 KB 
ID:	337349

https://twitter.com/fire_grizzly/sta...299687424?s=20

Grizzly fire has its own twitter account now. Eagle county having a good smoke day.

Quote Originally Posted by SkiBall View Post
    https://twitter.com/fire_grizzly/sta...299687424?s=20

Grizzly fire has its own twitter account now. Eagle county having a good smoke day.
    Sounds like they had a really good day today fighting the fire. Winds were calm so they made some progress. Let’s hope it stays that way....it’s still hot as balls up here.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Evacuations in place for people near growing Badger Lake Fire

SPOKANE COUNTY, Wash. — A wildfire burning in eastern Washington is threatening 50 to 70 homes Sunday evening.

The Badger Lake Fire, which started at about 5:04 p.m. Saturday and was originally four fires burning near Badger and Williams lakes near Cheney, has burned an estimated 200 acres.

Level 2 evacuations are in effect as the wildfire continues to burn in grass and trees. What that means is people should be ready to leave their homes.

State mobilization was approved to fight the fire after fire Chief Cody Rohrback, of Spokane County Fire District 3, requested it.

Five strike teams have been ordered to help multiple agencies that are fighting the fire.

The State Emergency Operations Center at Camp Murray is helping to coordinate the state crews.

The cause of the fire is under investigation.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by Tap View Post
    Small wildfire in Bend yday, out now

Name:	Image1597584897.943208.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	698.2 KB 
ID:	337323
    Turns out this was caused by an RV driving into some tall brush, then hot exhaust system ignited the fire. RV is total loss...

Quote Originally Posted by TBS View Post
    Turns out this was caused by an RV driving into some tall brush, then hot exhaust system ignited the fire. RV is total loss...
    Seems appropriate.

Yup, a Class A motorhome (aka Land Yacht) no less...

Jones Fire is about 4 miles away and burning in the general direction of my place. Cause is likely lightning strike from last night. It just jumped retardant lines from recent winds.

What is up with So Cal? 3 major fires going right now?. FYI. I just started smelling the smoke from the Loyalton fire. And hear thunder at the same time. They say it's headed into Dog Valley now. It's really dry up there.

Name:	fire.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	1.61 MB 
ID:	337470

Name:	InkedIMG-0328 (1)_LI.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	337471

We had just finished a ride when we saw the first whisps of smoke. We had to call it in to the local sheriff 30 miles away. Drove and watched as the first helicopter arrived followed shortly by the "local" fire engine. I wish I had a photo as it must have been from the 50s or 60s!! I didn't have my phone during the day, but the night photo is the remnants of a ridge that was throwing up 200+ foot flames a few hours previously. The sound it made was absolutely frighting! Made for an interesting night and not a very sound night of sleep. I'm heading back up first thing tomorrow to make sure the sprinklers are staying on their 3 hour shifts!! It's currently 6 miles due West of our place, but still a concern.
    Some people are like Slinkies... not really good for anything, but you still can't
    help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs...