Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast
    I bet CDOT is going to have a lot of work to do to stabilize those slopes above I70 after the fire’s out. Landslide or mudslide danger.

Quote Originally Posted by Shredhead View Post
    I’m bummed that they are ending the Swift program. These guys have done the fire midigation in my neighborhood for years. I’m out early everyday and these guys are stoked just to be outside.

https://www.aspentimes.com/snowmass/...the-last-time/
    This is weird. From that article:
    Rifle’s SWIFT program will be decommissioned as part of a CCI “reorganization” effort to “ensure that (CCI) can continue to provide opportunities for inmates to learn marketable job skills” and “allow CCI to focus on opportunities and industries that are consistent with modern workforce projections and allow it to be able to reinvest in the areas of infrastructure, equipment, etc.,” according to an email from Annie Skinner, public information officer with the Colorado Department of Corrections.
    So, like wildfire isn’t a marketable job skill? Are fires going away soon?

https://wildfiretoday.com/2020/08/12...olorado-river/

Some interesting maps of the Grizz Fire.

Quote Originally Posted by The SnowShow View Post
    I bet CDOT is going to have a lot of work to do to stabilize those slopes above I70 after the fire’s out. Landslide or mudslide danger.
    THIS.....when it finally rains again this is going to be a BIG issue

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    ROLL TIDE ROLL

Fack! Smoke cleared out nicely and I opened the windows then had to run an errand. In the meantime the wind must have shifted or another fire started while I was gone and now my house is full of smoke. Ugh.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

Kindness is a bridge between all people

Dunkin’ Donuts Worker Dances With Customer Who Has Autism

Was just out looking at what’s left of the Perseid showers and counted six planes flying. Thermal image Spotters no doubt.

It’s really dry here and gonna push 100* this weekend with possible t-storms. Gonna get interesting...

Quote Originally Posted by char_ View Post
    I am under the impression that camps are very limited and most crews are spiking and self sufficient. I think the shot crews are just doing their own shopping, etc
    Smart. I guess I just wonder how that’s feasible for project fires. There’s so much more than the operations section.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Smart. I guess I just wonder how that’s feasible for project fires. There’s so much more than the operations section.
    Logistics (supplies, food, etc.) can be handled fairly easily (vehicle/helicopter distribution), except maybe showers, but I wonder about shift briefings, weather forecasts, plans and map distribution...info/intelligence flow in general presents a challenge. Safety, medical, will just have to get up and get moving.

I think things are going to move slower, which probably means more acres burned. As Stephen Pyne says, we’re going to have to learn to live with (the effects of) fire.

another in CO, west of Ft Collins.
    https://wildfiretoday.com/2020/08/13...-fort-collins/

looks like I will be looking for a new camp spot for labor day weekend. was to post up near red feathers, dont see that happening.

Really bummed about the fire up near Cameron. Some of my favorite areas to camp and fish are near Long Draw, so many great memories up there. Tons of Moose. Great access to lesser-visited region of RMNP.

I really hope they can get these under control.

These winds though. Remember when Colorado used to get daily afternoon storms in the summer? Now it's daily afternoon wind storms. Predictable and annoying as hell.

Labor Day weekend is shaping up to be a total clusterfuck in CO wrt campers and travel, not that it wasn't already. It's like New Year's Eve for campers and camping, but will be moreso now esp if Indy Pass stays closed.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Logistics (supplies, food, etc.) can be handled fairly easily (vehicle/helicopter distribution), except maybe showers, but I wonder about shift briefings, weather forecasts, plans and map distribution...info/intelligence flow in general presents a challenge. Safety, medical, will just have to get up and get moving.

I think things are going to move slower, which probably means more acres burned. As Stephen Pyne says, we’re going to have to learn to live with (the effects of) fire.
    Just treat it all like AK? Doesn't work in urban interface probably.

We used to do daily IAP and map delivery all the time on the nightly food run on the helitack crew. Don't even need to land for that stuff, just drop it in a weighted sack out the door.

Quote Originally Posted by hawkgt View Post
    another in CO, west of Ft Collins.
    https://wildfiretoday.com/2020/08/13...-fort-collins/

looks like I will be looking for a new camp spot for labor day weekend. was to post up near red feathers, dont see that happening.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Image1597430556.997417.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	337210

Just took this from Lake Granby , not good

2020 Wildfire Season

Yeah...we are in trouble. Coating of ash today in Basalt.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Mosier Creek firefighters brace for extreme heat

COLUMBIA RIVER GORGE – With high temperatures forecast for the triple digits Sunday, the 445 crew members fighting the Mosier Creek Fire are bracing for a tough battle. At last report the blaze, which is thought to be caused by humans, had grown to 985 acres and was 30 percent contained. It is threatening 658 homes and hundreds have been evacuated.

The fire started Wednesday afternoon and is burning in timber. The Oregon Department of Transportation warns that smoke could impact visibility on Interstate 84 through the Columbia Gorge. It’s estimated containment date is Wednesday, and the lead firefighting agency is the Oregon Department of Transportation.

Crews have been busy constructing a perimeter line and mopping up to strengthen the existing line. Hazardous trees were cut down and helicopters are working to extinguish hotspots, according to the Northwest Interagency Coordination Center. The most current evacuation notices are available at the Wasco County Sheriff’s Facebook page.

A virtual community meeting about the fire will be held at 4 p.m. PDT today, which will be simultaneously translated into Spanish, with instructions given at the start of the meeting. To join the meeting go to Mosier Creek Fire 2020 on Facebook.
    When you see something that is not right, not just, not fair, you have a moral obligation to say something. To do something." Rep. John Lewis

The smoke has been off and on really bad in Boulder from the Grizzly fire. The fire is crazy over there, it's on both sides of 70 in severe terrain. My daughter was born in Glenwood when I was living in Carbondale so it's a little special to me.

You can see the plume of the fire in the Rawah (sp?) Forest from Broadway last night. Huge beetle kill area to my understanding, I think near Chambers Lake.

It's been so hot and dry this summer, I can't imagine working those fires or how/when they will be put out with no significant rain anywhere in the forecast.

Could happen in the canyons near Boulder again which makes me very nervous.

Those planes have been flying quite near my place on Shanahan Ridge and landing in Broomfield I believe?

So done with 2020.

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

Loyalton Fire, north of Truckee. 2000 acres but very intense. NWS notes pyrocumulus and issued a fire tornado warning. Never saw that before. I realize fire makes it's own weather, and I know little whirlwinds are common, but a tornado?

Quote Originally Posted by old goat View Post
    Loyalton Fire, north of Truckee. 2000 acres but very intense. NWS notes pyrocumulus and issued a fire tornado warning. Never saw that before. I realize fire makes it's own weather, and I know little whirlwinds are common, but a tornado?
    Well, I’m guessing that might have been hyperbolically written up by a non-fire-weather meteorologist (special training) who was on shift...or everyone there is just fucked. But in all my years in fire “tornado” was only used colloquially, not technically.
    Maybe there was a very high Haines Index forecast. The HI is a measure of atmospheric instability. Here:
    https://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/airfire/ha...tishaines.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haines_Index

Quote Originally Posted by NWS Reno
    The National Weather Service in Reno has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
    Southeastern Lassen County in northern California...

* Until 330 PM PDT.

* At 228 PM PDT, a pyrocumulonimbus from the Loyalton Wildfire is
    capable of producing a fire induced tornado and outflow winds in
    excess of 60 mph was located south of Chilcoot, and is nearly
    stationary.

HAZARD...Tornado.

SOURCE...Radar indicated rotation.

IMPACT...Extreme fire behavior with strong outflow winds capable
    of downing trees and starting new fires. This is and
    extremely dangerous situation for fire fighters.

* This tornadic pyrocumulonimbus will remain over mainly rural areas
    of southeastern Lassen County in the vicinity of the fire.

That is some crazy shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    Well, I’m guessing that might have been hyperbolically written up by a non-fire-weather meteorologist (special training) who was on shift...or everyone there is just fucked. But in all my years in fire “tornado” was only used colloquially, not technically.
    Maybe there was a very high Haines Index forecast. The HI is a measure of atmospheric instability. Here:
    https://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/airfire/ha...tishaines.html
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haines_Index
    It looks like they really meant tornado.... maybe?

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSReno/s...53008916430848

It looks like about a third of California is about to enter a red flag warning due to potential for dry lightning.

Quote Originally Posted by PowderHorse View Post
    Those planes have been flying quite near my place on Shanahan Ridge and landing in Broomfield I believe?
    rocky mountain regional airport

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    That is some crazy shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    It looks like they really meant tornado.... maybe?

https://mobile.twitter.com/NWSReno/s...53008916430848.
    Well, I never heard the term used in a technical discussion...but things may have changed. It’s certainly surprising some people.
    https://www.sacbee.com/news/weather-...244993335.html

Still... I’m leaning heavily toward hyperbole. If I was still working, I’d be making some “wtf?” calls.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tornado

^^^
    This Tweet is unavailable.
    Just so you know where I’m coming from, I’ve seen a lot of fire whirls, which look like little mini tornadoes and happen fairly often, but in my mind a tornado is a different animal by orders of magnitude. Fire whirls are short-term events more closely related to dust devils.

But hey, I’m willing to learn.

Walla Walla County Emergency Management

6:30 PM Update: A wildland strike team has arrived on scene at 5:51 PM to assist with firefighting efforts. Fire Command requested closure of Seaman Road at Biscuit Ridge Road and Lewis Peak Road at 5:07 PM. For everyone's safety, PLEASE avoid the area.

5:12 PM Update: We just spoke with the Incident Commander. The fire is contained in 3 canyons. But it keeps trying to 'jump out' and is creating spot fires. For that reason, he has requested that the Level 1 Evacuation Order (Be Ready to Evacuate) remain in place through the night. Residents in the area should remain aware of the danger and be prepared to evacuate. If conditions worsen we will update here, on Twitter, and with an Everbridge emergency notification to residents in the vicinity. If you haven't already, sign up for Everbridge notifications at bit.ly/33ZYtCR

4:40 PM Update: Fire appears to be contained at this time. Conditions can change and residents should remain alert. The Level 1 Evacuation Order has not yet been lifted.

A Level 1 - Be Ready Evacuation Level order has been issued for Lewis Peak Road, from Mud Creek Road up, and over to include Seaman Road for a wildfire in the vicinity. Residents should be aware of the danger that exists and be prepared to evacuate. Evacuations at this time are voluntary.
    Walla Walla County Fire District #8 #WaWildfire #WallaWallaCountyWildfire

^^^ the difference, with this one, is that NWS observed-- by radar --rotation in the column. I am not sure if their radar is good enough to detect firewhirls (or dust devils, for that matter). Of course, rotation doesn't mean a tornado is 100% likely but... the odds are good, and I presume the protocol is to issue a warning whenever certain radar obs are made.