Page 46 of 46 FirstFirst ... 41 42 43 44 45 46
Results 1,126 to 1,146 of 1146
    Old goat, I would not believe your State Farm guy. There are 2 FB groups for Nevada county specifically about home insurance and wildfires. It’s full of residents and industry pros sharing info.

People that rebuilt after the Angola fire in south lake are now getting their coverage dropped.

Quote Originally Posted by bodywhomper View Post
    Old goat, I would not believe your State Farm guy. There are 2 FB groups for Nevada county specifically about home insurance and wildfires. It’s full of residents and industry pros sharing info.

People that rebuilt after the Angola fire in south lake are now getting their coverage dropped.
    I appreciate the heads up. I'm not on Facebook so I'll have to remain ignorant about any specific info about State Farm. Anyway, there's nothing I can do about it. I wouldn't be shocked if I did get dropped. Truckee has taken an unforgiveable laissez faire attitude towards community fire safety.

Three British Columbia firefighters who contracted COVID-19 while in California battling wildfires likely spread the virus to 13 colleagues who tested positive after returning to the province.

According to B.C. Wildfire Information Officer Forrest Tower, all 16 individuals are under quarantine at a Richmond hotel and one other facility in the city. None are seriously ill.

"I would definitely not call it an outbreak, but we do have right now 16 confirmed cases," he said. "We had three initial cases reported in the States, and since everyone has returned there's been 13 more positive tests."

Tower said it's not known how the initial three became infected.
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Wouldn't they all have to quarantine for 14 days after returning to Canada from the US? Seems this rule makes it virtually impossible for a Canadian returning from the US to spread it in the community.

A very interesting and provocative article about the effects of “management” and public vs. private ownership of forests on the recent west side Oregon fires. .
    https://www.oregonlive.com/wildfires...e-managed.html

https://wildfiretoday.com/wp-content...ws-article.jpg

This is my 20th fire season and I have personally have had this discussion with my wife many times. The city/county fire dept starts the rookies at what I am making with my overtime.

I ask the older wiser sages in the group here,,, Will this actually happen in my life time.

Quote Originally Posted by telehacker View Post

This is my 20th fire season and I have personally have had this discussion with my wife many times. The city/county fire dept starts the rookies at what I am making with my overtime.

I ask the older wiser sages in the group here,,, Will this actually happen in my life time.
    I left. I doubt it will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by telehacker View Post

My guess is not in the foreseeable future. IME, the OPM was a serious roadblock, with upper-level agency administrators running a close second.

They are starting to move some stuff forward. We JUST gave engine captains GS-8s. I started in R3 and the captains were 8 s in 2000 and several other regions were. BLM in great basin just made the move ,about 20 years of difference. They are going to drop the 90 days fire experience for GS 4.

The situation for wildland firefighters is really bad. Why wouldn't you just go to a city or county if rookies there make better money than 20 year vets in the wildland world?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    The situation for wildland firefighters is really bad. Why wouldn't you just go to a city or county if rookies there make better money than 20 year vets in the wildland world?
    Because I don't like cities and I don't like medicals.

I have my issues with how things are ran, but I'm not really on board with all this hubbub going around lately. The job is exactly as advertised. There's other careers if folks aren't up to the demands.

California announced it would prevent insurance companies from dropping homeowners for one year in many parts of the state. The moratorium cannot be extended, which means that insurers who want to stop offering coverage in high-risk areas will eventually be able to do so.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/05/c...gtype=Homepage

In other words, everyone in California who doesn't live in fire prone areas is subsidizing those who chose to live in fire prone areas, for the next year.

here's some science-ish and policy-ish stuff supporting the need to reduce wildfire severity in CA. This will be preaching to the choir of the narrative for some of y'all and be contradictory info of the narrative for others of y'all.

PPCI "Priorities for California's Water" includes mitigating wildfire severity in the watershed headwaters as one of it's six priorities. https://www.ppic.org/wp-content/uplo...ember-2020.pdf

UC Davis soil scientist on the effects of severe fire on soil health: https://www.farmprogress.com/disaste...vastating-soil

Also, bloomberg article on the adverse effects of wildfires in the west on water quality: https://news.bloomberglaw.com/enviro...s-parched-west
    Last edited by bodywhomper; 11-10-2020 at 09:28 PM.

^ Nice links. Well worth reading.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow Skipper View Post
    My guess is not in the foreseeable future. IME, the OPM was a serious roadblock, with upper-level agency administrators running a close second.
    MS - Wasn't there big talk about seasonals getting year-round health insurance a few years ago?

Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    MS - Wasn't there big talk about seasonals getting year-round health insurance a few years ago?
    Temporary seasonal can choose to keep their health insurance during the off season but the gov no longer helps contribute. That means for a 20something in good health premiums go from 250$ While working to $800 per month in the off-season

^ This is how I heard it. Thin comfort, better than nothing I suppose. Still no permanent status/protection or retirement benefit.

I think everyone needs 6 months minimum guaranteed, and full benefit ride.

bump.

another fire yesterday is so cal orange county.

PG&E has announced a potential power shutoff for a wind event schedule 12/7-12/8. here's the current map:
    Name:  7dec2020 outage map.JPG
Views: 762
Size:  53.5 KB

I’m in the shutoff zone. Which btw, wtf? People are burning piles here everyday. Green grass is coming up. The soil is still moist. How are they shutting off the power?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

2020 Wildfire Season

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    I’m in the shutoff zone. Which btw, wtf? People are burning piles here everyday. Green grass is coming up. The soil is still moist. How are they shutting off the power?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    totally! I’m helping with an rx burn approved b by Calfire in the middle of an outage zone for Tuesday.

I believe they’re predicting winds to compromise the transmission lines in a manner that could generate a fire, which is why the outage is predicted all the way up the 80 and 50 corridors. There might be some really cold people in the higher elevations if they can’t heat their homes w/o power.

Pge just made a large revision to their predicted outage. Now just an area near Yosemite and Twain Harte is predicted to be deenergized. SF north bay (eg Sonoma and Napa county) has been removed along with most the western central Sierra. I give up trying to relate it to the NWS forecast. The forecast for the central western Sierra has not changed over the past few days, and there’s been no fire wx fx. The North Bay now has a red flag warning. The Twain Harte area that’s now in the PSPS area does not (yet) have a fire wx forecast from NWS.