The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado

Let’s talk house cat deterrents.

AKA: Is there an effective humane way to keep my neighbor’s cats out of my yard, or should I just skin the fuckers?

My kids are 5 and 2, school is still shut down, and they are in the back yard 12 hrs/day. The fucking neighborhood cats are in the yard the rest of the time, shitting and pissing on fucking everything. We grow a not insignificant amount of our own food, and they want to use my garden as a litter box.

Are there any cat deterrents that actually work that won’t double as a booby trap for my toddler?

this is the only thing i've seen work:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Natures-M...sprucepets.com

good for outdoor areas, doesn't smell bad, works well.

Fight cats with cat. Get a shelter cat to patrol your area and guard your turf.

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    this is the only thing i've seen work:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Natures-M...sprucepets.com

good for outdoor areas, doesn't smell bad, works well.
    Looks like it won’t send my kid to the ER either, so that’s a bonus. I’ll give it a shot. Thanks.

Motion sensors on a sprinkler . I've seen it done on TV for night prowling neighbor cats.
    That goofy cat whisperer. .02cents

Australian Shepherd

Quote Originally Posted by SKIP IN7RO View Post
    Fight cats with cat. Get a shelter cat to patrol your area and guard your turf.
    Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    Australian Shepherd
    Pets are out of the question right now. We had to put our last dog down right before our first kid was born, but the longer we go without having a dog, the less inclined we are to get one.

Most of the deterrents I've seen have been for keeping your fluffy animals away from certain areas, not keeping all the bastards off your property. Unfortunately, the coyotes don't come in to town anymore and the raccoons seem to co-exist with the housecats. C'est-la vie.

Can’t remember where I asked about this but had gotten a few suggestions.
    I have a xeriscape and a garden, and cat with a cool neighbor owner adopted my yard.
    She put a sandbox in her own yard which helped a little, but I was still getting a land mine every other day or two. High foot traffic area, and right next to my truck, don’t want car shit smell in my truck.

There’s some scented stuff that was recommended I tried, didn’t seem to work and stunk up the yard pretty bad, I hate perfume. Bought a $20 bottle of it, you can have it if you want.

I’ve been dumping coffee grounds, and trimmings of onions, garlic, jalapeños, etc. wasn’t sure if it was working but recently had a couple cloves go bad as I had bought some extra. Put those out there and the next day there was a landline in a never before used area. So problem not gone, but I don’t think they like any of that. Also I have a plant called lemonbalm. If you grow it, keep a handle on it, takes over like the mint family. But cats don’t like that either.

Neighbor bought this sonic motion detector, it’s still human audible and annoying but I’m dealing with it for now. She bought some cat mace, not sure if it’s that stuff above but I think it probably worked first day or two. Should remind her to dump more.

Good luck.

Train a falcon.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Six-pack + http://www.nelsonpaintball.com/animal-control/

No idea if these hit harder or softer than regular paintballs, but you can probably turn down the power on the marker (or buy the lowest power marker on the market) to its minimum and avoid head shots. Cats are smart, if they get whacked once they won't be back.

I reject the get it once notion. I got this cat good with the garden hose one day. It was back the next, but more wary.

Quote Originally Posted by 1000-oaks View Post
    Six-pack + http://www.nelsonpaintball.com/animal-control/

No idea if these hit harder or softer than regular paintballs, but you can probably turn down the power on the marker (or buy the lowest power marker on the market) to its minimum and avoid head shots. Cats are smart, if they get whacked once they won't be back.
    Should probably get the Alpha Black starter kit...
    a positive attitude will not solve all of your problems, but it may annoy enough people to make it worth the effort

Formerly Rludes025

I think a pellet gun with flatheads should suffice.

Sprayed cat mace all over today, we'll see how it goes. FWIW, I've been lobbing all manner of projectiles at them when I see them in the yard for weeks: rocks, toys, full soda cans, whatever my kids have left laying around, and they are completely undeterred. Hopefully this provides a solution.

Havahart trap and a long drive to the shelter a few counties away.

Hey, sometimes cats run away from home.