Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Holy shit, splat, you're gonna neuter your pup at the feed store? Y'all really are country!
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

The answer to both is no. Unless he is a child prodigy he is likely shooting blanks if anything at all. A dog neuter is a bit of a procedure. There are some big blood vessels there, and if you need an antibiotic shot you are doing it wrong, which incidentally is the wrong way to use antibiotics (with a very few limited exceptions.)

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Doc, this isn't a metaphor. My husky tabby is interrupting my gentle slumber. Short of euthanasia, what are my options?

Pic of plump tabby for reference

Attachment 332961
    Just go to bed earlier so getting up at 5 is normal;l

Actually a gat cat like that could be diabetic, or trending that way and have blood sugar issues and feels the need to eat. Middle aged, fat tabby cats are the poster children for feline diabetes.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

hey hutash, actually, i have a real question for you!

i have a 9 yr corgi/norwich mix who is generally very healthy, but in the summer we've noticed that her belly turns black almost (hyperpigmentation?). she does not scratch at it, lick it, or pay any attention to it - she loves having her belly rubbed, but what dog doesn't? she does love laying outside in the summer time, could this just be a doggy suntan?

pic for reference

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200628_212601.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	332975

It's possible just sun, but a bit unusual. Considering the breed I would suspect some allergies, fortunately mild. That is certainly the most common reason for increased belly pigmentation. Pigmentation is just a response to irritation, be it solar or scratching. Does she like to do an army crawl on the carpet or lawn?

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by hutash View Post
    It's possible just sun, but a bit unusual. Considering the breed I would suspect some allergies, fortunately mild. That is certainly the most common reason for increased belly pigmentation. Pigmentation is just a response to irritation, be it solar or scratching. Does she like to do an army crawl on the carpet or lawn?
    Nope, never. Doesn't seem to bother her in the slightest. Our other dog has allergies that are clearly annoying for her, this one just wants to chill all day.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Hutash, my 9 year old Malamute has had a limp that comes and goes for a few years. My previous vet (now retired) thought he could feel a little arthritis in her front right wrist joint (I couldn't). Anyways, I had the new vet check her out (xrays) a few weeks ago and she didn't really see anything on the xrays nor in the physical exam, so she suggested I try Galliprant 100mg which seemed to relieve her symptoms 99.5%. Last night she decided to run around and now is limping so bad she can barely walk. Can I give her anything for the pain or is it back to the vet time? Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Cruiser View Post
    Holy shit, splat, you're gonna neuter your pup at the feed store? Y'all really are country!
    I used do the bulls on the ranch every year. Without any sedative. Couldn't see dogs being any more difficult.
    Shiite, that fucking Okie Joe neutered his tigers.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Hutash, my 9 year old Malamute has had a limp that comes and goes for a few years. My previous vet (now retired) thought he could feel a little arthritis in her front right wrist joint (I couldn't). Anyways, I had the new vet check her out (xrays) a few weeks ago and she didn't really see anything on the xrays nor in the physical exam, so she suggested I try Galliprant 100mg which seemed to relieve her symptoms 99.5%. Last night she decided to run around and now is limping so bad she can barely walk. Can I give her anything for the pain or is it back to the vet time? Thanks
    Sure sounds like a low grade chronic issue even if not seen on x-ray. Could be elbow or shoulder, it is sometimes really difficult to diagnose. All the usual OTCs like glucosamine, CBD, blue mussel extract, etc. An occasional aspirin or Advil are options, but I would not use either more often then rarely. If you need something regularly, then back to the vet for Rimadyl, Galliprant, or a host of other options. Like for most of us, rest and not doing stupid things really helps, but we all know that is going to happen.

iscariot

Thanks Dave, appreciate your reply. Hope I can buy you a beer or two this coming winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Here's a question that recently stumped our vet: 2 of our 4 cats lost their voice for a couple of weeks in late spring. They're both vocal assholes and are constantly screaming at us for any number of reason. They're from the same litter, now 11 years old, otherwise very healthy despite one not being able to put on weight (despite having a bunch of rotten teeth pulled) and the other being quite senile. The senile one started sounding like a squeaky toy and after 4 or 5 days went fully mute, he'd stare at me and make all the right motions but no sound would come out. The other one followed a week later. They were fully mute for 2 weeks then their voices starting coming back with mostly normal sounds and the occasional dry fire. About 6 weeks later they're 100% normal. Our vet had no idea what it could be, he said kitty laryngitis is a thing and can be contagious but he couldn't explain how the other 2 cats remained extremely loud...

hutash
    our 11yo aussie was diagnosed w/ transitionalcell carcinoma this weekend:
    1) can you describe what a dog on piroxicam therapy can expect regarding side effects? ...just trying to understand life quality as we'll have to make some care decisions here soon
    2) under what conditions would you consider surgery to be a positive? [google reading makes me believe none of it is reasonable, but if location is reachable, our doc says it's a possibility...she's going to refer us to have the conversation with a surgeon just to understand the thresholds based on his imaging]. Ultrasound did not show spread to other organs. No xray yet, but that might tell us if it got to his lungs at all.
    thanks for your input -- i know you can only comment obliquely without records or imaging but I thought hearing a non-attached informed view might be worthwhile
    thx
    ac

Quote Originally Posted by tgapp View Post
    hey hutash, actually, i have a real question for you!

i have a 9 yr corgi/norwich mix who is generally very healthy, but in the summer we've noticed that her belly turns black almost (hyperpigmentation?). she does not scratch at it, lick it, or pay any attention to it - she loves having her belly rubbed, but what dog doesn't? she does love laying outside in the summer time, could this just be a doggy suntan?

pic for reference

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200628_212601.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	1.75 MB 
ID:	332975
    Medicated soap for ringworm?

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    hutash
    our 11yo aussie was diagnosed w/ transitionalcell carcinoma this weekend:
    1) can you describe what a dog on piroxicam therapy can expect regarding side effects? ...just trying to understand life quality as we'll have to make some care decisions here soon
    2) under what conditions would you consider surgery to be a positive? [google reading makes me believe none of it is reasonable, but if location is reachable, our doc says it's a possibility...she's going to refer us to have the conversation with a surgeon just to understand the thresholds based on his imaging]. Ultrasound did not show spread to other organs. No xray yet, but that might tell us if it got to his lungs at all.
    thanks for your input -- i know you can only comment obliquely without records or imaging but I thought hearing a non-attached informed view might be worthwhile
    thx
    ac
    First, dogs can do amazingly well on piroxicam, even at fairly high doses.

Second, surgery may be very useful if the TCC is not too widespread and in an optimal location. If most of the bladder is thickened on ultrasound, then surgery may not be very helpful. If it appears localized, the surgery might be useful, but even then TCC is pretty nasty. Also, location is everything. Parts of the bladder can be cut out, and others can't (without serious complications.)

While I give mad props to surgeons and oncologists, I am also very much of the mind set of "because we can do things doesn't mean we should do things ". Have an honest and frank discussion about options and prognosis, and how it fits with your situation.

iscariot

Quote Originally Posted by Boissal View Post
    Here's a question that recently stumped our vet: 2 of our 4 cats lost their voice for a couple of weeks in late spring. They're both vocal assholes and are constantly screaming at us for any number of reason. They're from the same litter, now 11 years old, otherwise very healthy despite one not being able to put on weight (despite having a bunch of rotten teeth pulled) and the other being quite senile. The senile one started sounding like a squeaky toy and after 4 or 5 days went fully mute, he'd stare at me and make all the right motions but no sound would come out. The other one followed a week later. They were fully mute for 2 weeks then their voices starting coming back with mostly normal sounds and the occasional dry fire. About 6 weeks later they're 100% normal. Our vet had no idea what it could be, he said kitty laryngitis is a thing and can be contagious but he couldn't explain how the other 2 cats remained extremely loud...
    COVID 19???

Cats been to a rock concert (or Trump rally) lately???

Kitties do get various upper respiratory issues just like two kids getting a cold.

What ever it is, can you give it to Cruiser's cat so it will STFU at 5AM?

iscariot

First, dogs can do amazingly well on piroxicam, even at fairly high doses.

Second, surgery may be very useful if the TCC is not too widespread and in an optimal location. If most of the bladder is thickened on ultrasound, then surgery may not be very helpful. If it appears localized, the surgery might be useful, but even then TCC is pretty nasty. Also, location is everything. Parts of the bladder can be cut out, and others can't (without serious complications.)

While I give mad props to surgeons and oncologists, I am also very much of the mind set of "because we can do things doesn't mean we should do things ". Have an honest and frank discussion about options and prognosis, and how it fits with your situation.
    Thx much!

I was not expecting such a positive endorsement of piroxicam (I do understand it isn’t a cure) so that gives me hope for Echo’s comfort looking forward.

We’ll quiz the surgeon on locations. I think I’ll ask to see the imaging too being a visual person.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    Thx much!

I was not expecting such a positive endorsement of piroxicam (I do understand it isn’t a cure) so that gives me hope for Echo’s comfort looking forward.

We’ll quiz the surgeon on locations. I think I’ll ask to see the imaging too being a visual person.

Thanks!
    Good luck. You can remove a hell of a lot of bladder if it is in the right location. In other areas you are just plain screwed. Let's hope it is in the good area.

iscariot

COVID 19???

Cats been to a rock concert (or Trump rally) lately???

Kitties do get various upper respiratory issues just like two kids getting a cold.

What ever it is, can you give it to Cruiser's cat so it will STFU at 5AM?
    COVID was actually my first thought after reports of feline transmission but who knows... Both cats are doing great and are back to being super annoying assholes. Given that there were no apparent ill-effects of their disease I really wish i could export it out to anyone who needs it!

I came across this article on a website relating neutering vs. joint problems, etc. in dogs.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles...020.00388/full

Some of these breeds esp large dogs seem to be very susceptible to issues from neutering/spaying at too early an age. Hutash, is this something new? or has this idea been around for a while?
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Good luck. You can remove a hell of a lot of bladder if it is in the right location. In other areas you are just plain screwed. Let's hope it is in the good area.
    update: both surgeons said no to proposing surgeries; Echo is on piroxicam now a week plus and seems to be no worse for wear thus far; we'll be scheduling with the vet for a followup soon

Hutash, I have a dog that has lost a lot of weight and is skipping a bunch of meals. I've just started to notice, so I don't know how many meals are skipped because I'm realizing the other dog eats it right away. Weight-wise, she is now actually what she should be weighing, I can feel her ribs now but it's not skin-and-bones, so it's not an unhealthy weight. Overall she is normal, chasing balls and all that, but not 100% sometimes. Like she seems normal but I notice she is off juuuust a little bit. She is 8 and a border collie/heeler mix. She might have been losing weight over 2-4 months, I'm not sure. Today she hasn't eaten in 24 hours.

I'm going to start paying close attention to how much she is eating or not, but if someone came to you and said my dog was skipping meals, where do you start to figure out what's wrong?

You gotta get a handle on the data first, start feeding the dogs separately and pay attention and pick up the bowls when they're done. Maybe keep a little log on a scrap of paper or your phone or something. Beyond that I have no idea but you need to have solid info to start with. Is she eating at all? Does she eat every day? How much? Hard to say when the other one eats it.

First thing is always a good, thorough physical exam. Telemedicine is mostly useless, I don't why MDs are so big on it (works well in a few situations.)

After the exam a lots of questions I will go one of two ways. If all seems pretty normal I may just take a wait and see attitude and recheck as necessary. If things really do seem a bit off, but nothing definite on exam, then I may recommend a basic chem panel, CBC and maybe urine. If finding something, then more specific lab tests, x-ray, etc may be warranted.

The ol' classic ADR, ain't doin' right. The bane of a vets existence.

If you aren't quite there yet for a visit to your friendly local vet, then watch closely for any other signs or symptoms, stool quality, how she pees, etc.

iscariot

Thanks so much! She stills poops and pees every morning, she runs out to do it every day after waking up and it looks normal. She poops at least twice a day, which is weird if she is eating less. After I posted she finally ate, and you could tell she was starving. I swear, I kinda think there is a small chance that she is just too stressed to eat, for who knows why.

I'm def ready to take her in, in hopes to catch something early.

Hutash, thanks for this thread and for giving sage advice in the past. I’m looking for a dog food recommendation if you’ve got the time...

75lb Chesapeake Bay Retriever. Physically age 11.5, mentally age 3. Still active, but less so than even 6 months ago.

Switched him from Candiae Pure Sky about 3 months ago. He was on that for as far back as I can remember. It seemed really calorie dense, and with him not being able to handle the same amount of exercise, I wanted less calories per kibble. He also has some arthritis issues, so I thought a food directed towards “senior” dogs might help.

We transitioned him to Victor Senior Healthy Weight over a 3 week period. He loved it. And loved that he got more kibble per meal (he’s a hungry boy...24/7). We started noticing an INSANE amount of flatulence a few weeks later. I’m talking burning your nose hairs and basically all day/night long. Recently he’s been showing signs of discomfort intestinally. Fairly normal amount/type of poop, but instead of running to his food bowl in the AM, he runs outside and chows down on some grass. Doesn’t devour his AM feeding like he used to. Seems like the food is likely making him uncomfortable.

What rec’s would you give for an older, large dog who is semi-active, but losing steam? Something a little less fart-inducing and easy on the stomach would score big points with my old lady, too.