Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Apparently my wife went the wrong way around every single roundabout she went through on the Isle of Mann when she went there with her parents and our daughter 9 years ago. I didn't witness it. I heard the stories.

Quote Originally Posted by schindlerpiste View Post
    Not sure whether you, doebedoe and maybe others are in denial, or just daft. I haven't seen friends in over 3 months, I don't go to stores, I don't eat in restaurants, and if I go out, I always wear a mask, and I wash my hands 25-40X/day. What about you?
    I said exactly fuck all about you personally. I made the observation that protests are not what is driving this outbreak. Its conservative, Trumpian asshats in the SE combined with college kids going stir crazy.

Personally, I'm neither of those two. I've been social distancing, not going to stores except every 1-2 weeks, cancelled my wedding, working 60+hrs a week in crisis response in our spare bedroom. The only social interaction I've had is the one day I went ski touring, and my 4 days volunteering as a medic treating people getting tear gassed and shot by rubber bullets.

I think that's crazy. Sure, Trump is the worst, but protests aren't limited to MN., and the outbreak numbers are higher than ever. IMHO, this is because people are not doing what science and all news media is advising them to do (and not to do). I think that people (politicians included) should stop thinking that this virus is political, and lay low, and observe rules, until there is a vaccine.

Sorry about the wedding. That sucks
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

I think that's crazy. Sure, Trump is the worst, but protests aren't limited to MN., and the outbreak numbers are higher than ever. IMHO, this is because people are not doing what science and all news media is advising them to do (and not to do). I think that people (politicians included) should stop thinking that this virus is political, and lay low, and observe rules, until there is a vaccine.

Sorry about the wedding. That sucks
    Thanks.

And yes -- the virus shouldn't be big-P "Political". Krugman had an op-ed in NYTimes about that exact problem today. Such a response is inducing this incredible nightmare.

It is certainly little p "political" in that how we chose to respond will differentially impact different groups of people. The intense social distancing that halts the economy ultimately is an existential threat to thousands of low-income workers with no governmental or social safety net. We keep that up much longer, with gov's that have no money to pay for anything, and we will get social unrest on a level that we've deserved for a long time.

The lockdown is comparatively easy for white-collar who still have incomes, have social safety nets, have property.

Everyone who wants things to open up so we can "get back to normal" are not to be viewed the same. For some people its so they can get hair cuts, eat out, socialize. For other people it's so they can pay rent and feed their kids.

Speak for yourself. I stay at alone or with family 99% of the time and when I go out, I never fail to wear a mask (but that is not the fail safe). I blame the resurgence on people, mostly young people, become bored with social distancing. I'd bet $$$ that 2/3 of the protesters don't really give a shit, other than paying lip service, about the cause. I blame the police for their abominable behavior. I blame the protesters for their stupidity. I blame Trump for so many things, but mostly right now, for holding a dangerous rally without paying attention with what is really important (i.e. quarantine).
    Today, I went for a ride down town. I'd say that 20% of the people who I saw were wearing masks. Just look at the news everyday. People have lost their fear of the virus, or just don't care about getting sick, or making others ill
    Whether it's through stupidity or willful ignorance, I can't say, but you are utterly failing to see my point. All of the things that you are blaming are SYMPTOMS of the underlying problems that have turned this country into a shithole. I'm saying that every single one of us needs to accept the yoke of guilt, shame and remorse as individuals for contributing to the creation of a culture in which those underlying causes have flourished.

Our response to COVID, the state-sanctioned murder of minorities at the hands of police, systemic racism robbing Blacks of the opportunity to become vested members of their communities, et al are problems that have been decades, and in some cases centuries in the making, and for which every single one of us is responsible.

How drunk am I that I agree with glademaster?

That last paragraph is very well put.

Quote Originally Posted by doebedoe View Post
    How drunk am I that I agree with glademaster?

That last paragraph is very well put.
    I'm not a stark, raving asshole in real life, I just use TGR as a "third floor bathroom" for my brain most of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    I'm not a stark, raving asshole in real life, I just use TGR as a "third floor bathroom" for my brain most of the time.
    Sig worthy......
    What we have here is an intelligence failure. You may be familiar with staring directly at that when shaving. .
    -Ottime
    One man can only push so many boulders up hills at one time.
    -BMillsSkier

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    Good to know
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Yep, all the surges are in areas without large protests or rather, correlated with inadvisable early opening orders like FL/TX etc.
    Plenty of vids of people handing out masks at the protests and people gladly accepting.
    Blame what you want, but don't pretend like it's based on facts.

Maybe no Euro ski trips for us dirty Yanks if we can't get our COVID act together.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/26/europ...ntl/index.html

You know it's bad when a guy like Richard Quest says the EU "ain't messing around!".

An EU diplomat told CNN that it was very "unlikely" travelers from the US would be allowed in, adding that even though the list had not been finalized "the US's chances are close to zero." The diplomat also said, "with their infection rates ... not even they can believe in that possibility."

And Trump will probably retaliate with his own ban of some sort or another. I bet it will be a tremendous and very powerful ban too.
    "We don't beat the reaper by living longer, we beat the reaper by living well and living fully." - Randy Pausch