PSA: mountain gear closing sale

I hadn't seen this posted, apologies if I missed it.

I was surprised to see that Mountain Gear is closing, I have ordered several things from them over the years and always had great service. Lots of good deals to be had even though it's been going for a while, sorry to see them closing though.

https://www.mountaingear.com/

Bummer, but not surprising. I've been in their store 5-6 times, bought some bindings once, and I was often the only one in there.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

I used to enjoy paging through their catalogs back when that was a thing. I bought a bunch from them back then.

I will miss the catalogue...a victim of covid19?

They’re local to me. Huge closing sales happened in Jan, I’m surprised to see they still have any online merch. The owner said it was just getting less profitable due to Amazon competition and a semi-failed website revamp.

They’ll be missed in Spokane as the only store with actual mountaineering stuff and they supported a ton of outdoor programs here.

Bummer. Loved the catalog back in the day too.

They've been in closure mode over the past six months. Their brick and mortar store closed about 3 months ago and they've been clearing out inventory since. It's a sad day but, after 37 years, Paul was ready to move on. The online market is getting tougher for margins and the local store was really never busy. REI took a lot of his market, too. There was another climbing gear store, Mountain Goat Outfitters that closed up shop a few years ago, too so local supply of gear is pretty limited compared to what used to be. Sad for Spokane and the outdoor community. Here's the article on Mountain Gear closing:

https://www.spokesman.com/stories/20...ter-37-years-/

They have been closing for months. I've had dozens of email over that period.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Way back in the day The Red Barn existed in north Spokane. Easily the coolest shop layout I’d ever been in.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    I rip the groomed on tele gear

About 10 or 12 years ago, I was really, really tempted to buy the old Red Barn and convert it back to being The Red Barn as a ski shop. The idea was to partner with a friend who has a bike shop and share the space with a seasonal 60/40 floor space split. I was looking into it but found out who owns the building and opted to not do it. It would have been a cool shop and there's really nothing else on the north side of Spokane.