Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Boondock camping near Steamboat?

Preferably between Craig and the Boat (I am hoping to ride Emerald fairly early). Wouldn’t mind paying a bit, think Steamboat Lake would have a site Wednesday evening around 9 or 10?
    Anything closer to town?
    18’ trailer and truck, medium high clearance.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Was just out there a few weekends ago. Slept up by Clark along the Elk river, up on buffalo pass (probably closest to town and good riding up there) and up on rabbit ears pass south of town.

Thanks!
    Any chance you could PM me a pin or something?
    Cheers,
    W

Sure, will send you one for buffalo pass but it’s pretty straight forward.

I stayed at the KOA just outside of town a while back and there is (was) a bus to town from the CG. There's obviously cooler, more remote spots, but that one sure is convenient, and right on the Yampa. No, it isn't boondocking. It is also pretty close to Emerald.

Otherwise:
    https://freecampsites.net/#!Steamboa...+United+States

Steamboat lake isn't very close to Emerald. Buff Pass is a little better, and you could just ride "Flash of Gold" and Spring creek has a super fun new DHtrail.

Weve camped a bunch north of town past Clark. Seed House Rd if I recall. A Near empty FS Campground that was wiped clean with the huge blow down event yrs ago... Also killer FS campgrounds by the smaller lakes further north. Dont miss the Clark Store for tasty breakfast treats... Buff Pass will likely be a gong show, good luck finding a site for the trailer.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

How big is Jax's driveway?

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I
    and Spring creek has a super fun new DHtrail.
    I did think that was pretty fun.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    How big is Jax's driveway?
    I would but both pullouts are currently occupied by 2 other trailers, plus a john deere, cattle will be on the property again soon. Buff Pass is a shit show, as others have stated.

Have you called Steamboat Lake to see? They are reservation only at this point, maybe they've had a cancellation or 2? Otherwise try Hahns Peak Lake and/or Pearl Lake. Check out Hahns Peak Cafe for the best damned margaritas and decent grub, right across from the lake.

If you're not opposed to a KOA-type situation, and are deadset being closer to town, check out http://www.eaglesoaringrvpark.com/index.html - just a tiny bit further west of town than the KOA. It's less cramped looking, and when I drove by yesterday there appeared to be some spots. Lots of primo gravel accessible right from there, if you're into that sort of thing. Not much else that close to town that accessible with a trailer. And while Emerald is sweet riding, all of it can be done in a day.

As others have suggested, Clark/Seedhouse or Hahns Peak Village, which is right near Sbt Lk. if you go up that way. If you end up north, I highly recommend Nipple Peak loop, just north of Hahns Peak Lake. There are a few decent spots for camping up that way, but are likely to be taken. Great rides near seedhouse include Diamond Park, down to Scott's run/Hinman Lake, and also south fork Elk, though that one requires crossing the river which is still pretty swift right now.

If Rabbit Ears, I would try Buffalo Park Road/FR 100 aka Red Dirt Road/Divide Road. It's worth a look if headed down to town from 40. It's on S side of road before you get to Rabbit Ears; there are some primo spots for trailers not too far from the road on the right side. Plenty of spots way further down same road, it goes 30+ miles all the way to Gore Pass.

Also try Stagecoach Lake (also res only), it's 20 mins S of town, but tends to be way less crowded on weekdays than up north.

If you DO end up at Buff Pass, yes, Flash Of Gold is great fun, but don't forget BTR for the down. Grouse is techy good, and the new Soda Mtn Trail, accessed from the very very top of FOG, also super techy. Lots of options for shuttling once you're up there. Springroll, the new DH trail for Spring Creek, is a downhill-directional trail, not a true DH trail.

If you want to ride uphill, park at Thunderhead, ride zigzag up, taking note of Creekside as you pass it. Pioneer trail to Sunshine is amazing on the resort mtn right now. Lower Pio will be busy with hikers but once you get higher up the ppl dissipate, you likely won't see anybody up near Sunshine and specially if you take Cathy's Cutoff all the way to top. When you exit Pioneer back down, take Creekside back down. You will exit just slightly lower of Thunderhead, just ride road 4 min back up the hill to get to car.

Anyway, post is all over the place, hope you find a spot and enjoy the riding. Emerald is moondust right now, things are drying out quick.
    Last edited by Jax; 06-24-2020 at 12:45 PM. Reason: grammar

So, on a lark, i drove up Buff Pass, and got the last spot at dry lake CG at 6 pm. Lucky. Did a quick lap of FOG and BTR. Today i took Spring Creek from town, up FOG, up upper FOG, out Soda mountain, back down, down BTR (made up for a clunky ride the night before), and down the Spring Creek 'DH'. Had mucho fun. Y'all got a bunch of riding i didnt know about 20 years ago!

Oh, and took a drive up Buff Pass at night, there wasn't a single spot to be had. Really glad i didnt have to drive the trailer up there. Shit-Show.

Bump because I'm heading over to Steamboat on Monday for a couple of days of riding... one day we're going to loop FOG and Grouse (plus something else maybe?).

Second day, we want to do a bigger day from Rabbit Ears: what's the best way down once you're up there, for a longer ride? Tie into Soda Creek and back down Spring Creek?

I don't know many trails there, but Fish Creek Falls scared the living crap out of me.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I don't know many trails there, but Fish Creek Falls scared the living crap out of me.
    Yeah, I'm not looking to ride that trail. I'm not a huge fan of overly-chunky tech.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Bump because I'm heading over to Steamboat on Monday for a couple of days of riding... one day we're going to loop FOG and Grouse (plus something else maybe?).

Second day, we want to do a bigger day from Rabbit Ears: what's the best way down once you're up there, for a longer ride? Tie into Soda Creek and back down Spring Creek?
    For the ride from rabbit ears, you can take it all the way out to grouse or the soda mtn trail and then down spring roll (spring Creek she only trail) or a shorter option would be to ride into the steamboat ski area proper and do something like mountain view to Cathy's cutoff to sunshine to rustlers ridge.

Day one, you could add spring roll to the end of the ride and shuttle cars from the bottom of spring Creek to dry lake...

Can vouch for the route into the ski area. We did Pete's Wicked then down Rustlers.

Do this trail:

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/565...-creek-shuttle

Only don't be a wimp and shuttle it. Ride the few miles back to the car at the end.

Normally I wouldn't post favorite rides on the interwebs for everyone to see, but this ride is a little different. It sees almost no traffic and it is a fantastic ride. Gorgeous high country, lots of great trail, then a real backcountry feel, some small technical stuff, some steep but short uphill challenges. Etc. But it really needs traffic to buff out the second half of the trail. Coupel fo downed trees to cross last time I did it also.

Do it, love it, tell your friends, buff it out. Also, don't miss the left turn onto the downhill at the top of the uphill. Did that once. Bad move.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post

You don't like chunky tech? Then skip grouse, it's OK, but not the greatest IMHO (they had just finished building last time I rode it so it might be better now). Ride up buff pass then down FOG then down Spring roll. Shuttle however much you want, I like to shuttle it all

RE to the ski area is your best bet. RE to Spring Creek? nah. I always fuck up the DH in the ski area though so make sure and try to plan a decent route.

Extra Credit: Beall to Rotary on the back side of Emerald is one of my favorite blue loops in CO

I did this a few years ago, it was fantastic. (Rabbit Ears to Resort)
    The guy I was with couldn’t get a ride back up, so he just rode back to the truck. On the road. On his fat bike with 4.0” tires.
    https://strava.app.link/eRRmWJX0B8

Chances of getting a walk-up spot at steamboat lake are slim indeed - that place books up solid and early for the summer. Not much good riding up there anyhow (at least that I’ve found - do tell).

I’ve ridden emerald and thought it was ok not great. Haven’t really found anything awesome in the area, so I’m following this thread with interest, as I’ll be up that way in a couple of weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    I did this a few years ago, it was fantastic. (Rabbit Ears to Resort)
    The guy I was with couldn’t get a ride back up, so he just rode back to the truck. On the road. On his fat bike with 4.0” tires.
    https://strava.app.link/eRRmWJX0B8
    Was that first part on the 1101? For the longest time that was one of my favorite rides anywhere. Back in the late 80's we were a little bit limited on backcountry rides on well maintained trails around Steamboat and that was the best of them.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Chances of getting a walk-up spot at steamboat lake are slim indeed - that place books up solid and early for the summer. Not much good riding up there anyhow (at least that I’ve found - do tell).

I’ve ridden emerald and thought it was ok not great. Haven’t really found anything awesome in the area, so I’m following this thread with interest, as I’ll be up that way in a couple of weeks.
    Many years ago I rode some killer trails from somewhere up near the lake all the way to Hole In The wall. It skirted parts of the Zirkel Wilderness and went through some really remote zones that were absolutely beautiful. The location details are kinda lost in a psilocybin haze though but I remember it being somewhere near 50 miles each way.

Quote Originally Posted by skizix View Post
    Steamboat has built a ton of new MTB specific trails and improved on a few more over the last few years. Diverting funds from their lodging tax directly toward building and maintaining new trails. Worth revisiting. I'd say it is one of the better mountain biking destinations in CO now.

Just got back from riding buff pass this weekend. Flash of Gold twice, Gem, Spring Creek downhill. Holy shit were those fun shuttles. Didnt get on grouse, but have heard the same as stated above. I thought the spring creek downhill only trail was pretty blown out up at the top, but still fun

Grouse is the gem of the steamboat trail system. Chunky tech, but so fun and challenging and the route country riders (the steamboat trail building organization) has created many easier routes so many people can ride it. Though it's definitely a black.

Soda mountain has a lot of techy climbs which are pretty grueling at 10k. But it's a beautiful trail and the work they've done on it make it a classic in my book.

North routt has an amazing collection of fs trails that make for great adventure rides. But they aren't buffed out, banked turn mountain bike specific trails like found on emerald and elsewhere in the boat pretty amazing up there but maybe not for everyone.

I rode Scott's to Hinman Creek today. My brother in law who is local said it was the least trees down on that loop he's seen. Probably 3 total

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20200802_122928.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.92 MB 
ID:	336128

Name:	IMG_20200802_113613.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	336129

Name:	IMG_20200802_115317.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.35 MB 
ID:	336130

I wouldn't sleep on emerald either, there's some great trails there.

I wouldn't miss rabbit ears this week. Flowers were going off yesterday when I was up there

Name:	IMG_20200801_090234_100.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	336127