Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Nice Brutah. Scott's to Hinman's was the one I posted a bit down the page begging people to ride it to buff it out a bit. Sounds like they cleared some of the trees. How was the bike traffic - see anybody on Scott's or was it empty as usual? Was Scott's smoothing down at all?

Great pics, and nice Messi jersey.

Quote Originally Posted by EWG View Post
    Nice Brutah. Scott's to Hinman's was the one I posted a bit down the page begging people to ride it to buff it out a bit. Sounds like they cleared some of the trees. How was the bike traffic - see anybody on Scott's or was it empty as usual? Was Scott's smoothing down at all?

Great pics, and nice Messi jersey.
    I thought Scott's was smooth easy singletrack and that's where we encountered 2 of the 3 down trees and majority of the people we saw. Saw 3 bikers and 5 hikers on Scott's and only two people on horseback on hinman's. Really cool up there, but I've got a 5 week old in tow so I don't get very big recreation windows.

Messi Jersey is my brother in law. He said he prefers the Hinman Creek down over the coulton creek add on. Might try to loop that before work this week one day and decide for myself
    Last edited by brutah; 08-02-2020 at 08:19 PM.

Boondock camping near Steamboat?

Hinman is cool. I came extremely close to hitting a moose there right before the lake turnoff. Came around a corner at Mach Stupid, moose was in the trail munching grass facing me. Put both wheels into a locked skid and freaked a bit, frankly, cause I wasn’t sure I could stop in time. Head on collision with a moose = bad. At least I assume so. Anyway, I stopped maybe 4-5 feet from his face. He stared for a second or two, which felt like 5 minutes, and then took off into the underbrush.

I was plenty awake for the rest of the ride, I’ll tell you that.

With the exception of Grizzlies, I am more scared of moose than bears.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Bump because Grouse Ridge fucking rocks. What a fun trail. We did a loop with Flash of Gold today, but I could definitely see shuttling that area in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by smmokan View Post
    Bump because Grouse Ridge fucking rocks. What a fun trail. We did a loop with Flash of Gold today, but I could definitely see shuttling that area in the future.
    Rad! I'm glad I'm not that only one here that thinks Grouse delivers.

I’ll have to revisit Grouse when I get back up there. We usually take a trip for Oktoberwest but I guess that ain’t happening. Like I said, it had just been built last time I rode it. I think some of it was still pretty roughed in at that point. I also got attacked by bees in that tight turny section.

I wonder if anyone is considering running pay shuttles on FOG and Spring Creek. That could be cool if they’d allow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Name Redacted View Post
    I wonder if anyone is considering running pay shuttles on FOG and Spring Creek. That could be cool if they’d allow it.
    I highly doubt the FS would allow it. I've been trying to get a permit to run 1-2 trips a year in that area for a while now, and they won't budge... no commercial guiding in Routt NF. Which likely means no shuttles.

I highly doubt the FS would allow it. I've been trying to get a permit to run 1-2 trips a year in that area for a while now, and they won't budge... no commercial guiding in Routt NF. Which likely means no shuttles.
    Interesting, oh well, guess we'll just keep doing it ourselves.

Yeah, that's what doesn't make sense... instead of having one (assumingly responsible) shuttle company take dozens of riders each day they operate, instead the FS is essentially making dozens of vehicles drive up and down the same road.

Except for the cat skiing operation? And all the fly fishing guides in the area....

Steamboat seems set up perfectly for a shuttle company. I think some of the FS push back may stem from the people running "illegal" snowmobile shuttles on buff pass about 10-15 years ago.

Yeah, I guess I was referring to "on trail" guiding. I never got into the details with them, as the guys I talked to weren't really willing to divulge details.

Yeah, that's what doesn't make sense... instead of having one (assumingly responsible) shuttle company take dozens of riders each day they operate, instead the FS is essentially making dozens of vehicles drive up and down the same road.
    That is a good point. Commercial shuttles would probably cut down on traffic in the area. But I doubt this is the first time anyone has questioned the FS for their motives. They'll probably ban shuttling altogether instead.

Quote Originally Posted by brutah View Post
    Except for the cat skiing operation? And all the fly fishing guides in the area....

Steamboat seems set up perfectly for a shuttle company. I think some of the FS push back may stem from the people running "illegal" snowmobile shuttles on buff pass about 10-15 years ago.
    We were doing snowmobile shuttling on Buff Pass and a few other spots 30 years ago, early season we used Jeeps and Land Cruisers.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    We were doing snowmobile shuttling on Buff Pass and a few other spots 30 years ago, early season we used Jeeps and Land Cruisers.
    Ya I remember hearing that you could show up at dry lake with some cash and dudes would snowmobile shuttle you up. Then I recall that the FS set up a sting operation or something to crack down on people who were specifically up there to shuttle skiers. I'm sure it was pissing off the powdercat operation.

Either way, I got stuck behind this dude with a trailer full of bikes that was obviously shuttling people on Buff Pass on Wednesday. The steamboat trail system seems made for shuttles IMO (as much as I loathe shuttle rides haha)

Name:  IMG_20200805_165111.jpg
Views: 746
Size:  134.9 KB

Oh well, trails seemed pretty empty up there

Name:  IMG_20200805_181203.jpg
Views: 712
Size:  257.0 KB

Name:  IMG_20200805_185333.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  215.9 KB

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    Not really all that close to Steamboat, but found this spot about 1.5 miles off pavement north of Cowdrey this past Friday at 10pm. Maybe I just got lucky? Off 125. East side. FS land. Easy to figure out with Google maps.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whiteroom_Guardian View Post
    Not really all that close to Steamboat, but found this spot about 1.5 miles off pavement north of Cowdrey this past Friday at 10pm. Maybe I just got lucky?
    Naw - it's just that NOBODY goes up there.

Ok, so we are going camping at Steamboat lake, but I can’t ride. (Short, boring story).
    Anyhoo, what rec shop do you fine people recommend?
    Looking for 5mg candies/gummies etc, but a bunch of them.
    Also maybe a little cheap leaf.
    Anyone?
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Ok, so we are going camping at Steamboat lake, but I can’t ride. (Short, boring story).
    Anyhoo, what rec shop do you fine people recommend?
    Looking for 5mg candies/gummies etc, but a bunch of them.
    Also maybe a little cheap leaf.
    Anyone?
    RMR north of town

I prefer golden leaf. All flower grown locally, good candy/edible selection. I'm not a concentrate guy but they have a big conc selection too. They've been running a $75 half ounce flower deal that's usually pretty good bud.

RMR got bought out by tumbleweed, which is maybe the biggest pot retailer in the state. I always found that they seemed to be out of some edibles in the past, but probably has changed. They've been doing a $120 ounce deal all summer which I found to be of lesser quality than GL deal but at that price who really cares.

Never been to Billo. But I like the beer selection at arctic liquor next door. The owner of the liquor store is a fun dude to ski with and he's shown me some sweet stashes in the steamboat sidecountry. Better beer selection than central park liquor IMO