Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by DJSapp View Post
    Northern route for sure. If you can cross through Canada over the top of the lakes do so, but I doubt Covid will allow that.
    No problem, just tell them you live in AK !
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    How’s it going out there?
    We're not off on the main road trip for a few more weeks. We left MA on Tuesday, are in PA now, and I'm about to leave to drive the moving van out tomorrow while my wife and kid hang out here until I'm back.

Finished the first leg of the trip: me driving alone out with all our stuff. I took the direct route across Iowa and Nebraska, then opted for Wyoming/Utah over Colorado as the truck was beyond anemic on any sort of grade, esp. at altitude. The part of Wyoming was even more boring than I expected. Utah was of course gorgeous. I really liked the sliver of Arizona I passed through. It was a cool little canyon with the highway running through the bottom.

It all went smoothly enough, though made for a couple of long days.

This is something that I posted on the internet literally decades ago, and which has remained on the internet untouched since literally decades ago: Across the USA - I Drove Across the Country So You Don't Have To.

See if you can spot all the unintentional anachronisms ('83 Subaru, "put on another tape", that page 7 actually did rank high in "hot springs" search results at the time, super low-res images, and more...)

Been there done that, many many times. I don't know what advice you are really looking for? You want names, like flo, or evalina? Lemme know. Or just read the bathrooms if you are into that.

PSA I-90 in really good shape minimal construction

Segway:

In August, I will be driving from Park City to Coral Gables. This is my planned route with stops:
    1) Park City to Aspen (lunch, shop). Independence Pass to Salida (sleep). Salida to Sante Fe. Lunch and walk). Salida to Wichita Ealls (sleep). WF to Vicksburg (lunch). Vicksburg to Pensacola (sleep). Pensacola to Marco Island (sleep). MI to CG
    “How does it feel to be the greatest guitarist in the world? I don’t know, go ask Rory Gallagher”. — Jimi Hendrix

We're now in the midst of the trip. We went through michigan's up (where ill-advised strategy's well-advised strategy on campgrounds saved our butts), across minnesota to ND where we camped outside of Teddy Roosevelt national park. It was just a grassy knoll on BLM land, but one of the prettiest places I've camped looking out over the ND badlands. We then went north of Billings to Acton and this super fun little dispersed camping/mountain biking area. It had some good flow/jump trails plus a perfect kids loop. I wouldn't drive out there for it, but if you're killing time near Billings it was fun. We went on to Bozeman and camped a bit north of town. The camp ground was full but there we some dispersed spots nearby that were way nicer. Then we went toward Missoula, camped near Sealy Lake at a place called hidden lake and had a nice little paddle with some loons. The wife was getting a bit tired of longer driving days so nixed my plan to loop through Idaho and we're now camped outside of Butte at another nice site. It's a bit less spectacular, but safer for a four year old to run around.

Tomorrow we're going south to the Wade Lake area where we might paddle if things align.

I just found out I don't have to be at my new job until the 5th rather than the third, so we might have more time to stay near Jackson/Caribou Targee than initially thought, or we can spend a bit more time in Utah. We will be an easy drive to (southern) Utah, so we'll probably prioritize the states further north.

Overall, it's been a great trip so far. We're downa hubcap and the van doors may never again open as smoothly after all the rough, dusty roads, but it's been great fun. Coming from the East, I'm amazed by all the spectacular dispersed campsites and find a spot and park yourself public lands. I don't mind standard campgrounds but we've been avoiding them just because they're more crowded and less scenic. We've stayed at hotels less than planned as we keep not wanting to miss out on another beautiful place.

Quote Originally Posted by MarcusBrody View Post
    Coming from the East, I'm amazed by all the spectacular dispersed campsites and find a spot and park yourself public lands. I don't mind standard campgrounds but we've been avoiding them just because they're more crowded and less scenic. We've stayed at hotels less than planned as we keep not wanting to miss out on another beautiful place.
    Glad you are having fun! When I moved west, this blew my mind too. Sometimes, I'm still amazed at the spots I find wandering down an unknown dirt road with just a little knowledge from the internet.

Rad! Glad you went “Up North”.

Would like to hear your route and impressions of the mitten.
    I still call it The Jake.

Also, my wife is confused as to why I kept saying "Woot, Woot! Nuking in Missoula!"

We're now in the midst of the trip. We went through michigan's up (where ill-advised strategy's well-advised strategy on campgrounds saved our butts), across minnesota to ND where we camped outside of Teddy Roosevelt national park. It was just a grassy knoll on BLM land, but one of the prettiest places I've camped looking out over the ND badlands. We then went north of Billings to Acton and this super fun little dispersed camping/mountain biking area. It had some good flow/jump trails plus a perfect kids loop. I wouldn't drive out there for it, but if you're killing time near Billings it was fun. We went on to Bozeman and camped a bit north of town. The camp ground was full but there we some dispersed spots nearby that were way nicer. Then we went toward Missoula, camped near Sealy Lake at a place called hidden lake and had a nice little paddle with some loons. The wife was getting a bit tired of longer driving days so nixed my plan to loop through Idaho and we're now camped outside of Butte at another nice site. It's a bit less spectacular, but safer for a four year old to run around.

Tomorrow we're going south to the Wade Lake area where we might paddle if things align.

I just found out I don't have to be at my new job until the 5th rather than the third, so we might have more time to stay near Jackson/Caribou Targee than initially thought, or we can spend a bit more time in Utah. We will be an easy drive to (southern) Utah, so we'll probably prioritize the states further north.

Overall, it's been a great trip so far. We're downa hubcap and the van doors may never again open as smoothly after all the rough, dusty roads, but it's been great fun. Coming from the East, I'm amazed by all the spectacular dispersed campsites and find a spot and park yourself public lands. I don't mind standard campgrounds but we've been avoiding them just because they're more crowded and less scenic. We've stayed at hotels less than planned as we keep not wanting to miss out on another beautiful place.
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Rad! Glad you went “Up North”.

Would like to hear your route and impressions of the mitten.
    We had some friends outside of Detroit so we stopped there the first night then drove up into the UP the second day. We drove throught the Hiawatha National Forest and stopped at Pete's Lake campground. We really liked it, though it POURED the night we were there. It was still rainy the next morning so we did a short mountain bike ride on this trail that links a bunch of nearby lakes. My son was enjoying it, as was my wife, but we didn't do the whole thing as he's little. I did a bit more and it was fun. We did swim in the surprisingly warm lake.

Second night we went to Porcupine Mountain Wilderness state park via a somewhat circuitous route to maximize some lake views. The campground was fine, but not great (I suspect the other campgrounds were better positioned). The park was beautiful and dramatic but pretty crowded.

Overall we liked the UP a lot. My wife especially liked it.

We had some friends outside of Detroit so we stopped there the first night then drove up into the UP the second day. We drove throught the Hiawatha National Forest and stopped at Pete's Lake campground. We really liked it, though it POURED the night we were there. It was still rainy the next morning so we did a short mountain bike ride on this trail that links a bunch of nearby lakes. My son was enjoying it, as was my wife, but we didn't do the whole thing as he's little. I did a bit more and it was fun. We did swim in the surprisingly warm lake.

Second night we went to Porcupine Mountain Wilderness state park via a somewhat circuitous route to maximize some lake views. The campground was fine, but not great (I suspect the other campgrounds were better positioned). The park was beautiful and dramatic but pretty crowded.

Overall we liked the UP a lot. My wife especially liked it.
    Nice. So you went straight up the gut on 75 to da UP eh, in one shot? As with any trip you can never do it all, but man I’ve been jonesing for some NW LP Michigan action (Petoskey, Charlevoix, Harbor Springs) lately and wondered if you made to that side.

Vibes on the hubcap and can’t wait to hear more.
    I still call it The Jake.

Also, my wife is confused as to why I kept saying "Woot, Woot! Nuking in Missoula!"
    This warms the cockles of my heart.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

I used "maw of the gurge" the other day with my wife (while watching storm clouds rolling in), and I couldn't understand why she didn't know this common term. I actually google searched it and the first result was an old TGR thread.

Nice. Too bad it is absolutely hot as balls here right now.