Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    I have some Vuarnets that I've managed not to lose during my recent idiocy. Fantastic lenses. Terrible frames. Fit is wonky. Temples are floppy. Won't stay on without some sort of leash.
    Gentle heat and bending can solve that.
    Heat gun. Stroke and gently bend as needed.
    . . .

polarized sunglasses...is there a range of efficacy?

I have a pair of Smith Colson Polarized & a pair of Julbo polarized [not sure on name, total blackout, like 7% VLT]

Neither are all that remarkable...
    I do love the fit on the Smiths tho

When the sun is upstream (meaning in line w/ the river), the glare is not really knocked down.

I was looking at Revant Optics for replacement lenses for the Smith pair. I also have a pair of Smith Lowdown XL [not polarized] that I could get some replacement lenses of a different flavor for a second pair. Revant has Polarized ($37/pr [is that maggot pricing?!?]) & Polarized Elite ($59/pr).

Top of the line Smiths are $259.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Man there’s some cheap ass dentists in here. Goodr and Shady Rays? GTFO

Smith polarized GLASS lens, or some Costa glass lens that fits your face well. It’ll be a life changer. One of my favorites are these -

https://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/...SAAEgIO4PD_BwE

The Integrated leash is key, and doesn’t get all funky like the cotton chums or whatever. The real key is glass lenses. Plastic lenses scratch and look like shit after not too long. I’ve had glass lens shades that lasted 10 years
    I've had two different pair of smiths delaminate on me, will never buy another pair again. I also have a pair of Maui Jim's that both lenses are cracked where the temples connect to them and need replacements. They are stupid light and comfortable but no where near worth the money.

I am far from a dentist BTW

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Why don't you go practice fallin' down? I'll be there in a minute.

Brightest polarized lens will be 40pct.

Even glass lenses have a plastic film (Polaroid) embedded within.
    Quote Originally Posted by blurred
    skiing is hiking all day so that you can ski on shitty gear for 5 minutes.

Lens Protecting Frames

A bit of a hijack but, I got a pair of Oakley Monster Dog sunglasses years ago. The frames protrude in front of the lens in such a way that if you lay them down or drop them (except in pointy rocks) it is almost impossible to scratch the lens. Anybody know of other brands/models that have this feature? Can't figure out why all "sport" sunglasses aren't made this way.
    Gravity Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    I have a pair of Smith Colson Polarized & a pair of Julbo polarized [not sure on name, total blackout, like 7% VLT]

Neither are all that remarkable...
    I do love the fit on the Smiths tho

When the sun is upstream (meaning in line w/ the river), the glare is not really knocked down.

I was looking at Revant Optics for replacement lenses for the Smith pair. I also have a pair of Smith Lowdown XL [not polarized] that I could get some replacement lenses of a different flavor for a second pair. Revant has Polarized ($37/pr [is that maggot pricing?!?]) & Polarized Elite ($59/pr).

Top of the line Smiths are $259.
    I got the revant regular polarized to replace some lenses in my Oakley‘s and at first I kind of liked them, but comparing them to my wife’s that weren’t scratched, (amazingly), they’re not nearly as polarizing or distortion free. I have no idea how much better the “elite” polarized lenses are like from them. Anyway for 28 bucks or something it kind of saved the glasses, because they were so scratched they were not really usable at all, and Oakley stopped making a replacement lens.
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Quote Originally Posted by plugboots View Post
    I got the revant regular polarized to replace some lenses in my Oakley‘s and at first I kind of liked them, but comparing them to my wife’s that weren’t scratched, (amazingly), they’re not nearly as polarizing or distortion free. I have no idea how much better the “elite” polarized lenses are like from them. Anyway for 28 bucks or something it kind of saved the glasses, because they were so scratched they were not really usable at all, and Oakley stopped making a replacement lens.
    Thx, helpful to hear experience with them

At the same time, I bought a clear lens for my Oakley m-frames and they have a little distortion when you're being critical, but not noticeable out on the trail.

Quote Originally Posted by t-the-east View Post
    Man there’s some cheap ass dentists in here. Goodr and Shady Rays? GTFO

Smith polarized GLASS lens, or some Costa glass lens that fits your face well. It’ll be a life changer. One of my favorites are these -

https://www.smithoptics.com/us/Root/...SAAEgIO4PD_BwE

The Integrated leash is key, and doesn’t get all funky like the cotton chums or whatever. The real key is glass lenses. Plastic lenses scratch and look like shit after not too long. I’ve had glass lens shades that lasted 10 years
    Yep.
    Smith glass polarized were the best pair if sunglasses I've ever owned, by far. Look for glass.
    Been awhile though since I got mine(and broke em). $260's pretty steep

Well, I've been wearing a pair of Goodr's around today. The distortion is too much for me. Sending them back. I'll by something decent on sale and try harder not to leave them somewhere when I'm half asleep.

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Well, I've been wearing a pair of Goodr's around today. The distortion is too much for me. Sending them back. I'll by something decent on sale and try harder not to leave them somewhere when I'm half asleep.
    Oakley has a few models (e.g., Sylas) on sale, currently.

Sent from my SM-G960U using TGR Forums mobile app
    Daniel Ortega eats here.

I’ve been pleased with Maui Jim’s. Light, comfortable, super clarity, haven’t scratched them yet. A bit on the pricey side, but I’m happy with the purchase so far.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    I’ve been pleased with Maui Jim’s. Light, comfortable, super clarity, haven’t scratched them yet. A bit on the pricey side, but I’m happy with the purchase so far.
    +1. Also Costco is a gray dealer for Maui Jim's, awesome deals.
    90% of skiing is just looking cool

polarized sunglasses...is there a range of efficacy?

Was recently gifted a pair of old Serengeti Stratas

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0504.JPG 
Views:	126 
Size:	135.9 KB 
ID:	333784

I believe they came with a pilots license as well

Those have a nice fear and loathing kind of vibe
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Updating to add that I found some Costa Copper Silver Mirrors on sale, so I bought them, and they are a whole level better than the old Maui's and older Oakley Shallow water polarized and revants I have.
    Way different. Kinda forgot I had them on for 5 hours in full sun staring at rising, (or not), fish.
    Maybe the other companies have upped their game significantly, or maybe not. I like these things, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Technically all polarization is the same.
    no, no it’s not. That’s it’s thing. There’s also differences in what we’ll call the “quality” of polarization filtering. Different wavelength bands, different ratios, lots of stuff. How much it matters fo glasses? Dunno.

I don’t know enough about the current status of the sunglass industry to offer a relevant opinion on the market options

Costas on sale today at woot.com

Sent from my Pixel 2 using TGR Forums mobile app

i found smith's guide glasses on amazon for $166, didn't purchase but they seem to be legit (maybe old year stock?). i think they're still there for those wanting the glass polarized quality at a discount.

i did try out Revant's "elite polarized" replacement lenses for a chromapop pair i already owned. $48 w/ a 20% discount. They aren't earth shatteringly different, but they are high quality & comparable to the Smith product.

i also blew $18 on a pair of Flying Fisherman brand polarized glasses, just cuz for the price to test them...they seem to be sufficiently polarized, but the VLT is def darker despite being a yellow low light lens than my seemingly darker Smith bronze polarized. So, cheap & disposable but noticeably less clarity than Smith

Quote Originally Posted by dunfree View Post
    no, no it’s not. That’s it’s thing. There’s also differences in what we’ll call the “quality” of polarization filtering. Different wavelength bands, different ratios, lots of stuff. How much it matters fo glasses? Dunno.

I don’t know enough about the current status of the sunglass industry to offer a relevant opinion on the market options
    Well, yes. Particularly in science labs.

I was just trying to say that at a decent price point, polarization of light for human being wavelengths and sunglasses is very similar.
    Coatings and optics matter more. And that becomes a personal preference.

Good polarized sunglasses can be not tinted much and yet very comfy in bright light even on water and snow.
    I remember the first time I got revos thirty years ago.
    It’s a game changer when you get the good stuff.

Costa
    Maui Jim
    Kenon
    And probably a dozen more Chinese imitations that can Compete these days. But the $20 pair ain’t gonna make it.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    (mostly thinking about fishing here)

are there significant differences between polarized lenses?
    or is the level of polarization the same?

someone here works in the optics world, right?

[ETA]are polarized glasses available in high VLT options somewhere? Like 70% VLT, not 20%
    You want either Smiths with Lowlight Ignitor techlite glass lenses (only available in a couple frames) OR

Costa Sunrise Silver Mirror 580G lenses.

These two lenses give you the most VLT available in glass - which is for sure superior.
    It's not your job to be as confused as Nigel.