Flathead area riding.

I just spent 20 minutes searching and gave up. If this thread already exists please direct me (I know there was a long thread about Alpine No. 7 but couldn't find it..)

We are staying near Lakeside this weekend, and are looking at the Blacktail > Foys/Herron/whatever shuttle. What is the best route for overall ride quality? Trailforks has me confused, not least of which because it has the thing ending at the top of Blacktail?

Quote Originally Posted by RootSkier View Post
    I just spent 20 minutes searching and gave up. If this thread already exists please direct me (I know there was a long thread about Alpine No. 7 but couldn't find it..)

We are staying near Lakeside this weekend, and are looking at the Blacktail > Foys/Herron/whatever shuttle. What is the best route for overall ride quality? Trailforks has me confused, not least of which because it has the thing ending at the top of Blacktail?
    For the foys to blacktail ride, the way I've usually done it is to park at Herron park, ride up towards blacktail, then ride down to lakeside and end at tamarack for beer. I don't usually bother going up to the blacktail summit as an out and back, but you certainly can (it's kinda steep though).

The trail works fine in reverse too, although the descent is less interesting and less continuous down towards Herron.

Edit: if you're shuttling, the descent from blacktail towards lakeside is pretty quick. If you have the drivers/ cars for it, it's entirely reasonable to ride that, drive back up to blacktail, then ride to Herron. The ride from blacktail to Herron takes a bit. There's a not insignificant amount of climbing.

Thanks. Do you know about how much climbing that is? Because it is basically the opposite of this, right, only with the descent to Lakeside added on? Or am I really confused? https://www.trailforks.com/route/west-ridge-option-206/

Yeah, it's more or less the opposite of that (although that starts at Patrick Creek Rd. - some locals start there, but it's kind of a random spot). Amount of vert also depends on whether you're looking at trailforks or strava (trailforks shows way more).

So looking back at strava tracks:
    Starting at Blacktail, riding down to Herron has about 1500 feet of climbing.
    Starting at Blacktail, riding down to Lakeside has very little climbing.
    Starting at Herron, riding up towards Blacktail and down to Lakeside (without the out and back to summit Blacktail) is about 3700 feet of climbing.

Awesome, thanks. I think our group might not want 3700 feet of climbing so we might do it Blacktail to Herron, but then at least a couple of us could also ride Blacktail > Lakeside when we come back to get the car later.

Awesome, thanks. I think our group might not want 3700 feet of climbing so we might do it Blacktail to Herron, but then at least a couple of us could also ride Blacktail > Lakeside when we come back to get the car later.
    Nice. Just keep in mind that the road up to Blacktail is deceivingly long and it kinda takes forever to drive up there.

Root,

Blacktail to Foys is an absolute blast and I've ridden it a bunch of different ways:

1. From the Lakeside trail up and over to Foys
    2. From the top of Blacktail down to Foys
    3. Up from Foys to the top of Blacktail and back down to Foys
    4. Up the Blacktail road (from Lakeside) to the top of Blacktail and down to Foys
    5. Multiple out and back options from Foys and back down
    6. From the top of Blacktail down to Lakeside

If you haven't done this before, the whole ride from the top of Blacktail down to Foys is really fun and it feels like you are way out there. There is a chunk of closed doubletrack (5-6 miles) in the middle that is mindless pedaling and definitely not what you ride the whole route for. That said, the top few miles is really fun, and everything below the doubletrack is also really fun.

Driving from Foys to the top of Blacktail takes about an hour, give or take. If you have two cars and can leave one at Foys, you should expect almost 3 hours of shuttling. This is why many locals will drive/ride to Emond's saddle (or however you spell that). Emond's saddle is in the middle after the double track so you get the best riding on that side. Shuttling from Foys to Emond's saddle is about 30 minutes each way, so you cut your shuttling in half (3 total 30 minute trips).

The route on your link is a bit different than how I would ride it, but not a ton. See attached. The little blue arrowed loop will take about 10 minutes and is a fun, flowy section and can be skipped if legs are torched. I'll also see if I can find a route that I have GPsed that will show you the same thing or built it in TFs.

I'll PM you my phone number in case you have questions.

A group of friends and I were considering doing the ride from Foys to Blacktail and back on Saturday morning. Maybe we can figure out a way to make it work well for you guys and help run a shuttle back to Lakeside.

Seth

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BTFSuggestion.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	525.9 KB 
ID:	332308

Bump. Heading up to the WBR in a few weeks with a couple families with kids. My oldest is 6 and loves to ride, but it's hard to find anything remotely technically here in Missoula.

Should we check out Spencer? Looks like we could climb Lookout and come down Otter Pop? How busy it is these days? Are people going to be annoyed by kids going slow on the descents?

Also looking for other suggestions in the area with climbs limited to around 700 feet or so, probably. I think he can likely ride that machine built trail down to Beaver Lake or the Beaver Lake Overlook from the campground, but I don't really remember how steep the climbs are (he will happily push if he needs to). Any other ideas? Maybe the Reservoir Trail but I am not sure if we are going to want to run a bunch of shuttles.

You'll be fine at Spencer. Crowded by Spencer standards still isn't that crowded. Ride up the road or big gulps (which is single track that just cuts off part of the road). Otter pop is a good place to start. Cliff Notes is a new trail off the top that's techier, but not too crazy (with the caveat that I have no frame of reference for what a 6 year old can handle).

Shuttling the haskill basin segment of the whitefish trail is also an excellent kid option. It's called reservoir trail on trailforks. If you don't have multiple vehicles, you can hop on the free snow bus in town and it'll take you back up top (you can take your bike on the bus).

If you want to run lifts, the badrock chair up at the bike park is short and has some good kid friendly trails.

Edit: beaver area climbs aren't particularly steep. I think you'll be fine. The angry beaver loop (beaver lake overlook on tf) is a good, quick option from the bike retreat.

Edit 2: snow bus schedule: https://skiwhitefish.com/snowbus/

Root,

Are you looking for technical trails for a 6yo or for yourself?

I ride quite a bit with my 6yo and 8yo (and my 3yo in the Mac ride). Pig farms is rooty and therefore technical for a kid. Climbs are generally mellow and short out there.

Reservoir trail is pretty steep from the TH, but you could grab a ride on the snow bus up to big mountain and ride the Reservoir trail down. I'm not sure my 6yo would be ready for that but my 8yo would generally do fine. There are a couple of switch backs that are a tiny bit exposed and could be scary for a kid.

Swift Creek is another section of the whitefish trail that I've ridden with my 8yo. Totally doable with some mellower climbing. Short and fun.

Herron park is another one close to my house. A little more sustained climbing than pig farms but there are many short loops that are fun for kids.

I haven't ridden Otter Pop or the other green trails at Spencer but it's on my radar to check out. Feel free to send me a message if you need any more info.

Seth

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Cool, thanks. I think I remember from last summer that the snow bus can only take like three bikes. Does that seem right?

Cool, thanks. I think I remember from last summer that the snow bus can only take like three bikes. Does that seem right?
    The racks carry three bikes, but you can just bring bikes inside. We've had a group of 25 people / bikes on the bus in the past.