Page 165 of 506 FirstFirst ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 ... LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,125 of 12629
    I haven't climbed Hurricane, but have climbed Owl Head -> Giant, which are across the road. Great views into VT!

Hot one in the shop, thankful for the late day showers to break the humidity.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1608.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	376756
    Oh, and make mine a Utica Club…

^^
    living right

Do upstate black flies even get fazed by deet?
    I still call it The Jake.

And are they related to midges, or completely different?

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    ^^
    living right
    Gracious living in NJ.

On this particular trip to Lake Placid I had my two daughters and two of my younger daughter's friends. I shit you not ... a spontaneous upstate debate broke out while in Long Lake where the girls concluded that the ROC is in WESTERN NY. #FKNARIGHT

The one dissenting voice was my younger daughter and I made her think long and hard about how's she's wrong. She sat in this spot for a good hour contemplating the error of her ways.

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 8.02.25 AM.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	529.2 KB 
ID:	376797

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Do upstate black flies even get fazed by deet?
    Only thing I’ve found that works is Ole Time Woodsman. Smells so bad it keeps everything away. Maine product but used to buy it upstate, before the internets.

On this particular trip to Lake Placid I had my two daughters and two of my younger daughter's friends. I shit you not ... a spontaneous upstate debate broke out while in Long Lake where the girls concluded that the ROC is in WESTERN NY. #FKNARIGHT

The one dissenting voice was my younger daughter and I made her think long and hard about how's she's wrong. She sat in this spot for a good hour contemplating the error of her ways.

What insect repellent did she use?

Damn nice scenery.

Looks like Giant's Washbowl area, looking towards Great Range? Good spot. Giant is one of my favorite 46ers.
    WNY isn't ROC though, good try. Finger Lakes!

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Looks like Giant's Washbowl? Good spot. Giant is one of my favorite 46ers.
    WNY isn't ROC though, good try.
    Sure is! That pic is looking south from the Hurricane peak. I've heard Giant is a pretty stout climb. 3K gain in roughly 2.5 miles.

Giant is a tough one from the Keene side. The 9N side is much longer, but it's a more manageable climb. I recommend the lean to overnight!

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    And are they related to midges, or completely different?
    Completely different. Midges are like Canadians, they aren't there to hurt you, they come from Lake Erie, and Joba Chamberlain can't stand them.

LOL at the unprovoked Upstate debate.

Killer view from up there, love the storms hitting the peaks in the distance.

Haha that's some funny shit. Tell her that I agree with her

Did we talk about this place? https://www.stormskiing.com/p/podcas...8ZCs18bUu7jh_w It looks like fun. Middle of fucking nowhere though...

My brother is a Paul Smiths grad, they would head to Titus far more than Whiteface, always said it was a great scene.
    Cheap tickets for booze fueled PM adventures!

Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    My brother is a Paul Smiths grad, they would head to Titus far more than Whiteface, always said it was a great scene.
    Cheap tickets for booze fueled PM adventures!
    What's crazy is that I know a few families from Franklin County, VERMONT that had season passes at Titus and would commute. They were 30+/- mins from Jay Peak AND Smuggs. Crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Completely different. Midges are like Canadians, they aren't there to hurt you, they come from Lake Erie, and Joba Chamberlain can't stand them.

LOL at the unprovoked Upstate debate.

Killer view from up there, love the storms hitting the peaks in the distance.

Yeah, but, if you see lightning over, you know, there, even if that peak is twenty miles away, than you can consider yourself a lightning rod above tree line like that.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    What's crazy is that I know a few families from Franklin County, VERMONT that had season passes at Titus and would commute. They were 30+/- mins from Jay Peak AND Smuggs. Crazy.

If you’ve got a young family, Titus is a much better choice than those other two. Much cheaper by far, and nowheres near the crowds. Miles and miles of long green runs for the little ones that you really can’t get at the bigger places.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yeah, but, if you see lightning over, you know, there, even if that peak is twenty miles away, than you can consider yourself a lightning rod above tree line like that.
    If you feel the hair on your arms suddenly stand up, it's a sign from the heavens your time is short.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Only thing I’ve found that works is Ole Time Woodsman. Smells so bad it keeps everything away. Maine product but used to buy it upstate, before the internets.
    Bye bye black fly works well.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    If you feel the hair on your arms suddenly stand up, it's a sign from the heavens your time is short.
    Truth. I told the story here somewhere a long time ago, but I've been indirectly hit by lightning on Norris Lake on the bluest of blue sky days when the sound of thunder was so faint in the distance it could have been mistook for a mosquito fart.

Ever since then I've tried to be pretty mindful of when we're in the danger zone. I can recall basically running down a mountain last summer on the AT when black clouds and thunder claps set in around us on a bald peak in all directions. No thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    If you’ve got a young family, Titus is a much better choice than those other two. Much cheaper by far, and nowheres near the crowds. Miles and miles of long green runs for the little ones that you really can’t get at the bigger places.
    That's quitter talk! Plus Titus is a hell of a commute that I'd rather not pay for. Of course I believe they also mentioned night skiing and tubing.

I thought adk black flies were actually midges.

Evil fucking bugs. I grew up having house flies bight the fuck out of you on low pressure storm fronts.
    And horseflies. And deer flies. On any day.

But adk? Wtf. No pain. No bite. Just blood dripping from your arm. Fuck those evil satans spawn shit bugs. Fuuucckk
    . . .

Ticks with wings.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat
    This is like hanging yourself but the rope breaks. - DTM
    Dude Listen to mtm. He's a marriage counselor at burning man. - subtle plague