Page 426 of 504 FirstFirst ... 421 422 423 424 425 426 427 428 429 430 431 ... LastLast
Results 10,626 to 10,650 of 12596
    solo cups, cash only and a trout on the wall

check, check, check

We went to a BBQ place I didn't know was there until I saw a FB mention a few days ago. Just a few minutes north of Rt 6 on the all important Albany Post Rd is this gem Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20230323_205007527.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	1.95 MB 
ID:	452951 While there weren't tarps it's because they have no shame and serve awesome food out of a building that's literally falling apart. Look at the architectural goodness on the south end (above the pile of old garbage cans). We seriously questioned the wisdom of eating food from the place but our love for hole in the wall places won out. Holy smoked critters Batkidz this place kills it Upstate as fuck a mere 10 minutes north of the boundary, none of this inside commuting distance poser shit. Go see for yourselves, a half mile south of Rt 301.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    We went to a BBQ place I didn't know was there until I saw a FB mention a few days ago. Just a few minutes north of Rt 6 on the all important Albany Post Rd is this gem Click image for larger version. 

ID:	452951 While there weren't tarps it's because they have no shame and serve awesome food out of a building that's literally falling apart. Look at the architectural goodness on the south end (above the pile of old garbage cans). We seriously questioned the wisdom of eating food from the place but our love for hole in the wall places won out. Holy smoked critters Batkidz this place kills it Upstate as fuck a mere 10 minutes north of the boundary, none of this inside commuting distance poser shit. Go see for yourselves, a half mile south of Rt 301.
    Look at that…. News you can use.

+ on must try list

yelpers singing sweet praises on this bbq joint: https://yelp.to/yBG4nroYpyb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by twomartinis View Post

I didn't see a rope, so I went in...

they were out of UC; but the barkeep grew up in Utica and had to tell me his stories of school field trips to the brewery. U bet they don't educate kids like that nowadays

Legit fuckin Upstates right there.
    I still call it The Jake.

The code violations on these last handful of posts must be off the charts.

NTTAWWT.

My deepest upstate journey included multiple stops at establishments where the water had to be boiled

The land of Genesee Cream Ale and homemade pierogies!
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    solo cups, cash only and a trout on the wall

check, check, check
    I also see $5.50 on the bar. I'll guess that covers two cans genny plus tip.
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

- Winston Churchill, paraphrased.

Anyone check out the drink specials above the landline (with built-in answering machine)?

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Anyone check out the drink specials above the landline (with built-in answering machine)?
    I did. Also noticed the liquor label brands. Excluding Tito's they all look to be the econo brands. True upstaters do not part with their hard-earned money on top shelf booze.

There's also this sign:
    Name:  bar-phone-fees-1-not-here-2-on-his-way-out-3-just-left-4-havent-seen-him-all-day-5-who-sign-cody.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  151.1 KB
    1000 years from now archeologists will be wondering wtf does this mean?
    “The best argument in favour of a 90% tax rate on the rich is a five-minute chat with the average rich person.”

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    I did. Also noticed the liquor label brands. Excluding Tito's they all look to be the econo brands. True upstaters do not part with their hard-earned money on top shelf booze.
    I also scan barbacks since I'm particular with the liquor... and I enjoy dive bars as much as anyone. The hidden gem you can't see is a bottle of Cointreau on the top shelf.

Scratching my head on what they're using it in, margarita perhaps? Not a place where your lady is ordering a cosmo, let alone a pegu club or mai tai. At least they know where it belongs!

That backbar is very upstate. Old school whiskies + flavored sugary shit and not a lot of variety of anything. Every bottle is there because a regular drinks it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    That backbar is very upstate. Old school whiskies + flavored sugary shit and not a lot of variety of anything. Every bottle is there because a regular drinks it.
    Yes. As it should be deep in the upstates.

I spy two bottles of Jack Daniels center front shelf. In some in big city bars and nightspots liquor marketing companies indirectly pay to get the product they are promoting front and center shelf space. Viral marketing, influencers and all that. I’ll gonna go out on a limb here and say Jack Daniels doesn’t do that at Vic’s.

I also scan barbacks since I'm particular with the liquor... and I enjoy dive bars as much as anyone. The hidden gem you can't see is a bottle of Cointreau on the top shelf.

Scratching my head on what they're using it in, margarita perhaps? Not a place where your lady is ordering a cosmo, let alone a pegu club or mai tai. At least they know where it belongs!

That's makes an average tequila a top shelf Marg

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_8109.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	1.22 MB 
ID:	453033
    Could drink about 50 of these right now

I realized I sorta left y'all hanging and haven't reviewed that Upstate AF BBQ place. It's so fucking good! The ribs are insane. Ya gotta go.

I realized I sorta left y'all hanging and haven't reviewed that Upstate AF BBQ place. It's so fucking good! The ribs are insane. Ya gotta go.
    I’m gonna judge for myself either way but thanks. You’re saying it’s on route 9 north of Peekskill, right?

A half mile south of 301 on 9.

don't forget to ABC

brother-in-law coming up from westchester this weekend - now I'll have to bribe him for a detour... will report back on findings/tastings

don't forget to ABC

First signs of the Spring Turn: grilling in shorts and a hoodie the first day it cracks 55°.

So, having been around the Champlain valley in N. VT, is the Eastern boundary of upstate really Lake Champlain? Feels so upscale on the lakeshore area, reminds me of the wealthy that moved in around Flathead lake back home.

Have thought about taking the ferry across the lake next time we’re out visiting the wife’s family, and exploring a bit.

How’s Plattsburgh?

it's tarptastic!

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    So, having been around the Champlain valley in N. VT, is the Eastern boundary of upstate really Lake Champlain? Feels so upscale on the lakeshore area,

How’s Plattsburgh?
    a buddy of mine's parents live right on the water in Chazy Landing, pretty swanky abode, probably one of the bigger/nicer houses I've hung out at in some time but I think they might be an outlier... the houses on the water might be upscale, but look across the street or up the road and it's upstate AF. big farm country, and yea, M2 is right, lotta tarps up that way
    my head is perpetually in the clouds