Page 85 of 508 FirstFirst ... 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 12686
    Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    There was one somewhere in the Midwest that added to the top. Damned if I remember where...
    Alpine valley.
    But they started with a hill, unlike mt Trashmore
    . . .

I figured it was Wilmot, which was a old trash heap as well on the border of Illinois/Wisconsin. Also where I learned to ride and did a bunch of night skiing/weed smoking. Sadly not upstate.

Quote Originally Posted by lifelinksplit View Post
    Sadly not upstate.
    If we’ve learned anything in these past 85+ pages, it’s that Upstate, while hard to define geographically, is more than anything, a state of mind.

That state of mind is found all across the upper Great Lakes/Midwest as was pointed out a page or two ago by actual scientists. What that means for us? Who knows at this point.
    I still call it The Jake.

The Official Argue About Where Upstate NY Is Thread

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Some say Teej (as his friends used to know him) got overrun trying to keep up with the Bryce Kelloggs of the Roaring Fork Valley, which, of course, put too much stress on his relationship with Robin.

He pulled back from decent society, and the ski school. He left Robin, and the caboose he and Dex once loved so much. Some say he can be found hanging around various cat-ski operations throughout the mountain west, begging for free rides and a powder 8 partner.

His family just wishes he’d write every now and then, and maybe even come back to work at what used to be his Ford plant.
    I’d pay $10 to watch this. As long as he was up to his usual hijinks, that is.

Which reminds me that I’m halfway through my latest viewing of the original from a week or so ago, pre last ski trip. Need to finish that up.

If we’ve learned anything in these past 85+ pages, it’s that Upstate, while hard to define geographically, is more than anything, a state of mind.

That state of mind is found all across the upper Great Lakes/Midwest as was pointed out a page or two ago by actual scientists. What that means for us? Who knows at this point.
    Truth. Grew up Midwest around Lake Michigan.
    I feel at home upstate.
    #redneckComfort
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Truth. Grew up Midwest around Lake Michigan.
    I feel at home upstate.
    #redneckComfort
    South Bend, Indiana is very upstate. We were meeting with the CEO of a company there and he invited us to dinner. He asked us whether we preferred Chili's or Outback Steakhouse.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Bloomin' onion and a filet every time.

Right?

Bloomin' onion and a filet every time.

Right?
    We actually ended up in Chili's.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    We actually ended up in Chili's.
    I believe that decision might have won you the contract!
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    South Bend, Indiana is very upstate. We were meeting with the CEO of a company there and he invited us to dinner. He asked us whether we preferred Chili's or Outback Steakhouse.
    We had a in person meeting with a tech company In Rochester and they served us garbage plates for lunch. No joke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    I believe that decision might have won you the contract!
    That’s what I’m hoping.

Back in undergrad we had a usual ski crew on Sundays that would end the day spent, a few beers in and very hungry. One guy suggested we go to the Outback along the way home to grab a bite and watch a little sports in the bar. No big deal, I hadn’t had a Bloomin’ Onion in about 5 years I think.

We stroll in, ski pants on and take over a table for 12 by the bar. Order our beers and food and get settled in.

About a beer, 3 Onions and 20 minutes later some guy in a black leather duster comes in and walks up to our table, quickly flashes a “badge” and says gentlemen I need this table for police purposes.

“What the fuck? Hang on, let me see that badge again, buddy” shouted our drunkest friend. Undercover Duster flips his wallet open again so quickly you couldn’t see shit. Now we’re all suspicious and tell this guy to go get his other 11 cop buddies that need our table for “police purposes”.

Seeing that his jig is up, he squats down real low next to the middle of our table and says, “guys, I’m running private security for Brian McKnight and it’s very important that he and his party have this table so they aren’t mobbed by fans”.

“R&B singer Brian McKnight?” we say, yeah, no, we’re not moving pal.

He looks back at the door and sure as shit there’s a very impatient looking Brian McKnight along with his entourage, pissed that they’re waiting in a freezing cold lobby of a fucking Outback Steakhouse in Erlanger, Kentucky, like some commoner.

Our server leans into my ear and says, “tell him you’ll move if he picks up your tab so far and I’ll take care of the rest.”

I announce the offer and he says, “yeah, sure, whatever, some beers and onions, just move already.” Our server says she needs a card, because it’s a large group with a mandatory tip and we have more food on the way.

During this time people all around us are wondering what the fuck is going on and the head of security here is feeling the heat from the room as well as his boss - still in the slush-filled doorway.

“Fine, whatever” he says now opening his wallet to reveal the cheap fake badge as he hands over a card.

We move and go on with our meal. Our cute server comes back and says, “feel free to hang, I rang up your meals, your apps and about 5 more rounds of beers on top of the one you got when he came in to take your table.”

We thanked her profusely, gathered up a large cash tip for her, and proceeded to get good and drunk enough to the point that by the time we left we made sure to stop by our old table and thank them profusely while yelling out to the restaurant what a great guy celebrity Brian McKnight is. He looked terrified by all the local yokels now googling his name and staring.

Thread tie in?

Brian McKnight is apparently from Buffalo.

Haha

Yup state of mind and cloudiness

It's raining in the mountains here overnight, and this ^ is the kind of uplift I needed this morning. Thanks Bmills.

And +1 on night skiing. I wish it was more popular in the west.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    We had a in person meeting with a tech company In Rochester and they served us garbage plates for lunch. No joke
    Food is a primary method of communicating here in ROC. Garbage plate means means they liked you. Had they served you Cincinnati chili the message would have been GTFO.

Quote Originally Posted by S_jenks View Post
    It's raining in the mountains here overnight, and this ^ is the kind of uplift I needed this morning. Thanks Bmills.

And +1 on night skiing. I wish it was more popular in the west.
    I used to love night skiing as a kid. It was COLD though!

I did most of my skiing at Belleayre, Catamount, Whyndam and Hunter. But there was a place my school ski club did some Friday night trips at, I think it was called West Mountain, or something like that. I really wish I could remember.

My wife grew up in California and thinks our Mammoth weekends have cold weather.

EDIT:

I really don't think it was West Mountain, looking at that map. I have been to West for day trips with the middle school ski club, but the night trips must have been somewhere else. I don't see how it could have been that much further north than Belleayre and those places. I am now really wondering which place it was.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Dong, where is my automobile?

No more yanky my wanky!

That’s what I’m hoping.

Back in undergrad we had a usual ski crew on Sundays that would end the day spent, a few beers in and very hungry. One guy suggested we go to the Outback along the way home to grab a bite and watch a little sports in the bar. No big deal, I hadn’t had a Bloomin’ Onion in about 5 years I think.

We stroll in, ski pants on and take over a table for 12 by the bar. Order our beers and food and get settled in.

About a beer, 3 Onions and 20 minutes later some guy in a black leather duster comes in and walks up to our table, quickly flashes a “badge” and says gentlemen I need this table for police purposes.

“What the fuck? Hang on, let me see that badge again, buddy” shouted our drunkest friend. Undercover Duster flips his wallet open again so quickly you couldn’t see shit. Now we’re all suspicious and tell this guy to go get his other 11 cop buddies that need our table for “police purposes”.

Seeing that his jig is up, he squats down real low next to the middle of our table and says, “guys, I’m running private security for Brian McKnight and it’s very important that he and his party have this table so they aren’t mobbed by fans”.

“R&B singer Brian McKnight?” we say, yeah, no, we’re not moving pal.

He looks back at the door and sure as shit there’s a very impatient looking Brian McKnight along with his entourage, pissed that they’re waiting in a freezing cold lobby of a fucking Outback Steakhouse in Erlanger, Kentucky, like some commoner.

Our server leans into my ear and says, “tell him you’ll move if he picks up your tab so far and I’ll take care of the rest.”

I announce the offer and he says, “yeah, sure, whatever, some beers and onions, just move already.” Our server says she needs a card, because it’s a large group with a mandatory tip and we have more food on the way.

During this time people all around us are wondering what the fuck is going on and the head of security here is feeling the heat from the room as well as his boss - still in the slush-filled doorway.

“Fine, whatever” he says now opening his wallet to reveal the cheap fake badge as he hands over a card.

We move and go on with our meal. Our cute server comes back and says, “feel free to hang, I rang up your meals, your apps and about 5 more rounds of beers on top of the one you got when he came in to take your table.”

We thanked her profusely, gathered up a large cash tip for her, and proceeded to get good and drunk enough to the point that by the time we left we made sure to stop by our old table and thank them profusely while yelling out to the restaurant what a great guy celebrity Brian McKnight is. He looked terrified by all the local yokels now googling his name and staring.

Thread tie in?

Brian McKnight is apparently from Buffalo.
    Hate to call you out, but I’m guessing google didn’t exist when you were in undergrad. Not to mention I doubt anyone had anything other than a flip phone.
    Care to admit this was summer of 2019?

Quote Originally Posted by Long duc dong View Post
    I used to love night skiing as a kid. It was COLD though!

I did most of my skiing at Belleayre, Catamount, Whyndam and Hunter. But there was a place my school ski club did some Friday night trips at, I think it was called West Mountain, or something like that. I really wish I could remember.

My wife grew up in California and thinks our Mammoth weekends have cold weather.

EDIT:

I really don't think it was West Mountain, looking at that map. I have been to West for day trips with the middle school ski club, but the night trips must have been somewhere else. I don't see how it could have been that much further north than Belleayre and those places. I am now really wondering which place it was.
    Downstate night skiing - Mt Peter, Sterling Forest/Tuxedo Ridge, Big Vanilla and Thunder Ridge. Vernon Valley, Hidden Valley or Campgaw in NJ and Mohawk, Sundown or Southington in CT. You might have gone as far as Catamount.

Oh and you spelled Windham wrong

Hate to call you out, but I’m guessing google didn’t exist when you were in undergrad. Not to mention I doubt anyone had anything other than a flip phone.

This was mid-aughts, so yeah you're right that they weren't looking things up on their devices, but that doesn't change the fact that everyone within earshot of that table was loudly whispering to each other "who's Brian McKnight"?

The original wikipedia if you will. Ask a stranger at the next table what something or someone is.

Sorry, I missed the part where we actually started caring about being factual. BMills you were saying something about Brian McKnight and teleportation? Carry on ...

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Sorry, I missed the part where we actually started caring about being factual. BMills you were saying something about Brian McKnight and teleportation? Carry on ...
    Hey I don’t care either. Just wanted him to admit he eats regularly at outback and still listens to back at one on his mini discman or a cassingle

Hey I don’t care either. Just wanted him to admit he eats regularly at outback and still listens to back at one on his mini discman or a cassingle

For the record, I think I had a Motorolla Razr at the time; it had a camera and was the shit. I think Mr. McKnight was even impressed.

Secondly, I guarantee I have a minidisc player stashed somewhere in a box along with my yellow Sony Sports Discman and Sega GameGear. I doubt there's any Brian McKnight singles among them though.

Further, I had to think long and hard to remember my last time in an Outback, and I think if it wasn't this time, then it was when the wife and I posted up in the bar for March Madness one year pre-kids. That said, I know there's one around here somewhere with a patio. With the spring like weather coming this weekend I may have to do a happy hour for some Wallaby Darneds, Fosters oilcans and Bloomin' Onions. Mate.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    Garbage plate means means they liked you. .
    Plates end in food coma or the shits. I'd be useless after lunch.
    Still, the most inappropriate business lunch remains french onion soup.