Page 83 of 508 FirstFirst ... 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 ... LastLast
Results 2,051 to 2,075 of 12681
    That’s rad, are those Plake’s Elans next to your skis?
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    That’s rad, are those Plake’s Elans next to your skis?
    yeah, and the pink poles are his too. They were something special though I don’t remember the brand. They were a limited Mikalea Shifrin edition though, that wasn’t widely available yet. He was afraid they might get stolen, which of course he didn’t have to worry about at Plattekill.

Only Plake would treasure pink poles.

I had neon pink Scott’s growing up. And the neon green and orange World Cup Lekis. Embrace color Ben.

Just cause the sky’s grey up north doesn’t mean the skiing has to be.

But seriously Brownski - what year are those skis from? 1986?

Ah, the old days of neon.

The, like, second or third day I ever skied was at Killington. There was a guy ripping the massive ice bumps on Outer Limits in a full bright neon pink one piece. I walked by him at the base, shielding my eyes from the brightness. He was really good. I said, someday, I'll ski like that, but, probably never good enough to have the balls to wear that.

That’s rad Benny, I can relate to that. I was a celebration of neon from about 1981-1994, then everything went browns and earth tones.

Peak neon for me was neon and yellow Atomic 533ce bump skis, the aforementioned neon pink Scott’s, bright purple Tyrolias (weighed a fuckton), neon pink CB pants and a neon blue TNF parka. You could see me coming four towns away.

It’s back now too. Look at Julia Mancuso’s IG page today. Total neon.

My teens in one pic.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-01-09 at 12.58.40 PM.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	416.0 KB 
ID:	357067

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Good times right there. A little guns n’ roses or AC/DC on the PA and talking shit to your friends on the chair in front of you.

If you can ski glare ice at night you can ski anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The full text of what you meant is: “If you can ski glare ice bumps at night while racing your friends down the hill with full contact allowed, you can ski anything.”

And you are correct.

That’s rad Benny, I can relate to that. I was a celebration of neon from about 1981-1994, then everything went browns and earth tones.

Peak neon for me was neon and yellow Atomic 533ce bump skis, the aforementioned neon pink Scott’s, bright purple Tyrolias (weighed a fuckton), neon pink CB pants and a neon blue TNF parka. You could see me coming four towns away.

It’s back now too. Look at Julia Mancuso’s IG page today. Total neon.
    Certainly useful on a powder day. You can see that clothing pretty far away when it's hammering.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Never night skied either.
    If you wait until next year, you’ll be one year older when you do it.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Night skiing is the sad privilege of the mid Atlantic skier. The only thing that makes it ok is smoking drinking or sucking face on the chair. Or all three. Tapatalk
    And the sad privilege of a Wisconsin skier.
    Drinking is mandatory below 20 degrees

And I have skied snow king at night, and it’s nothing like Wisconsin. Less drinking. More real skiing. And also quite fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I lived for a few months two seasons in a row in Dillon, and could see Keystone off my deck glittering at night like a constellation, but never did that, either. Well, actually, I never skied Keystone, period. Why, with ABasin up the road?

Nighttime is for drinking.
    Again, night skiing and drinking are copacetic
    . . .

Dude, Benny, you never night skied? WTF. You live in the land of night skiing. Wait till the snow gets better and go to Mohawk or Sundown or go further north and get it done. West is a great night hill. Don't go to Thunder Ridge to pop that cherry, it will ruin the experience unless it's snowing and even then it will probably suck.

IME you don't actually ski WITH Plake, you ski behind him and watch him pull away. He's fucking fast or at least he was...

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    But seriously Brownski - what year are those skis from? 1986?
    I got them at a garage sale in 95. They seem to be from around 85 or 86

Night skiing is great! I grew up doing almost nothing but night skiing. I could count on one hand the number of times I skied during the day before I turned about 13. My dad refused to go on the weekends, so weekday nights it was until they bought their place in the Adirondacks and we started taking trips out west.

Whacking gates on grey ice under the sickly yellow glow of HPS lights, while trying in vain to not get glazed head to toe from the snow guns was what made me fall in love with skiing.

No booze or drugs were ever involved.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Dude, Benny, you never night skied? WTF. You live in the land of night skiing. Wait till the snow gets better and go to Mohawk or Sundown or go further north and get it done. West is a great night hill. Don't go to Thunder Ridge to pop that cherry, it will ruin the experience unless it's snowing and even then it will probably suck.

IME you don't actually ski WITH Plake, you ski behind him and watch him pull away. He's fucking fast or at least he was...
    Well, my first reaction when I was working was, I like to see where I'm going, (#2 was I don't like being cold), but now that I'm off Maggie's farm, well, why?

Quote Originally Posted by Brownski View Post
    I got to ski and chat with him at Plattekill last time around, shared a lift ride. Very cool guy.
    https://nyskiblog.com/chasing-glen-plake/
    He got a kick out of my old skis too
    Attachment 357053
    Those K2's he may have even skied. He started as a K2 sponsored skier if I remember and was on their boards for a long time...

Upstate is probably celebrating the Bills win and BIlls Mafia. Downstate did not even have a team with a winning record. (But the NYC teams really are NJ teams anyway.)

As a product of the 90s I can wholeheartedly attest that Glen was a K2 guy

I had the same pair of gloves.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

I have actually night skied at an upstate NY ski bump called Swain? Is it still open?
    Night skiing at Beech in NC was capped off by the debauchery of the the beech tree bar, basement bar at 5500’ with a bunch of folks nursing their egos when they realized skiing was hard.

As a product of the 90s I can wholeheartedly attest that Glen was a K2 guy

I skied the ones on the left, probably still have them - maybe not as long as his were, but went through 3 pair of K2's over the years. Ski some Elans now- none of them were chosen because of Glen though.

Quote Originally Posted by ncskier View Post
    I have actually night skied at an upstate NY ski bump called Swain? Is it still open?
    Night skiing at Beech in NC was capped off by the debauchery of the the beech tree bar, basement bar at 5500’ with a bunch of folks nursing their egos when they realized skiing was hard.

Swain is still open. Been there a few times and need to get back there sometime. Have some relatives that live the next little town north and can see the glow of the slope lights at night from their place.

Quote Originally Posted by F#*k you cat View Post
    I had the same pair of gloves.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
    I still have mine, and will be wearing them soon under the lights downstate in the near future.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    Those K2's he may have even skied. He started as a K2 sponsored skier if I remember and was on their boards for a long time...
    They were very close but not quite if I remember the conversation correctly
    edit: And mine are only 195s so

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post

This is correct. Hence the title of my blog post “chasing Plake”. It was about two dozen middle aged fanboys (not in a bad way) chasing him around the hill, with breaks at the top of the lift for him to tell stories while everybody caught up