Page 87 of 508 FirstFirst ... 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 ... LastLast
Results 2,151 to 2,175 of 12678
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Wait, Rick James is from Buffalo too? !
    He lived just down the street from my mom, off 20A in Orchard Park
    Last edited by hatchgreenchile; 01-14-2021 at 02:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    The city is the birthplace of many musical talents. Bet you didn't know Dr. Dirty is from Buffalo too.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Valby

This is great...

"Valby was born and raised in upstate New York.[2] He attended school in Rochester, New York, where at age seven, was taught to play the piano by two nuns.[2][3] At ten, Valby wanted to become a performer. In 1966, Valby graduated from Middlebury College in Middlebury, Vermont. He attended Duke University, and graduated with a degree in idealism. At one point he considered a profession as a philosophy teacher, but soon realized it was not right for him and focused on musical entertainment."
    Before today I was unfamiliar with this unique talent. His wiki page reads like if Mad and Hustler collaborated on a new periodical.

What a breadbasket of talent up there.
    I still call it The Jake.

Before today I was unfamiliar with this unique talent. His wiki page reads like if Mad and Hustler collaborated on a new periodical.

What a breadbasket of talent up there.
    Buffalo does not fuck around. You got yer Brian McKight, sure, but you also got the Goo Goo Dolls, Benny the Butcher and Spyro Gyra. Buffalo hits all styles. Course they also produced moe, who are fantastic, which is awesome and is enough of a claim to fame right there.

Maybe even more importantly, Buffalo lays claim Christine Baranski, the patron saint of high functioning alcoholics everywhere. It's a special place.

Fun fact. Neil Young and Rick James played together in a band in Toronto. Rick got arrested for being awol during a practice session, so Neil says, oh well, fuck it, I'm going to L.A..

One can only imagine the heights they could have ascended to if they had stayed together.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Don't ever forget about Lance Diamond. A true Buffalo legend.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Rochester. From Mitch Miller to the Chesterfield Kings. I shared a commuter flight from Newark to Rochester with them across the aisle once. Nice family guys.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Rochester. From Mitch Miller to the Chesterfield Kings. I shared a commuter flight from Newark to Rochester with them across the aisle once. Nice family guys.
    Rochester?! Well that's Giant Panda Guerrilla Dub Squad of course!!! Fucking fantastic.

Damn this thread just keeps delivering

Excuse me. When I think of upstate bands there is only one. Attica. I knew a couple of these guys. I recall going to one of their shows at Saratoga Winners when I was still underage and having to get my buddy to buy my beers cause he had a better ID then I did. They deserved better then they got
    Last edited by Brownski; 01-14-2021 at 05:11 PM.

Interesting all of the musicians from Buffalo. Only one I was really aware of was the Goo Goo Dolls. Not a huge fan of them but saw them quite a few times in the late 80s playing punk shows in Syracuse and Rochester. From one of the bands playing church basement shows to opening for some bigger name acts. Surprised the hell out of me when they exploded in the early 90s.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post
    Awesome band. Introduced by Jersey Boy Little Steven.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Interesting all of the musicians from Buffalo. Only one I was really aware of was the Goo Goo Dolls. Not a huge fan of them but saw them quite a few times in the late 80s playing punk shows in Syracuse and Rochester. From one of the bands playing church basement shows to opening for some bigger name acts. Surprised the hell out of me when they exploded in the early 90s.
    Moe perhaps?

Who the fuck is Brian McKight?

Chesterfield Kings are good. I think they broke up? Not sure.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post

Chesterfield Kings are good. I think they broke up? Not sure.
    They've been around a long time. Covid probably killed them, like all bus grinders.

Let's just put it this way...just before your lady comes home, light a few Yankee vanilla candles, crack open a Chardonnay turn off the lights and have some Brian McKnight playing and prepare for the night of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    They've been around a long time. Covid probably killed them, like all bus grinders.
    I never about knew them until after the plane ride and looked them up and found a House of Guitars / Andy Warhol connection that caught my attention.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Damn this thread just keeps delivering
    Better than UPS.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Moe perhaps?
    My thoughts too, especially as highlighted in the MLB and NFL Threads once this guy started spinning the bumper music (moe to Dead to Stones to...

https://www.si.com/nfl/2020/12/17/fo...the-nfl-to-jam

"As the Bills and Chiefs went to their first television timeout during a pandemic-altered (5 p.m. ET) Monday night game back in mid-October, most of the football world heard announcer Joe Buck ease into commercial with an otherwise banal comment about a forgettable punt: “The Bills have it for a second time on a rainnny night in Buffalo. ...

But for a small subset of the NFL audience, this moment was more memorable than the game itself. As the bumper music beneath Buck’s voice kicked in, football fans of a certain musical persuasion would have recognized the layered guitar strums, backing horns and signature riff of a song called “Happy Hour Hero,” by the jam band Moe, which formed not far from Bills Stadium."

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Let's just put it this way...just before your lady comes home, light a few Yankee vanilla candles, crack open a Chardonnay turn off the lights and have some Brian McKnight playing and prepare for the night of your life.
    He's also REALLY particular about his seating options at Greater Cincinnati (yet in Northern Kentucky) Outback Steakhouses.

Tread lightly.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Moe perhaps?
    Oops, sorry for the confusing post. Band was the Goo Goo Dolls. Serious punk band in their early days. It was weird moving back to VT and then a couple of years later hearing them hit the big time sounding nothing like they did at the all ages shows.

I fear Rzeznik has been a bit too frequent a visitor to the plastic surgery center. He's starting to look like Kenny Rodgers.

Buffalo would have accepted him with wrinkles.

Wait, the Goo Goo Dolls were punk before breaking big as late 90’s teen-angst radio love pop?

What did Buffalo do to them to make that happen?

The realization they needed to make money to GTF outta there?

Quote Originally Posted by I Skied Bandini Mountain View Post
    The realization they needed to make money to GTF outta there?
    Yeah, but he moved to NJ.

Wait, the Goo Goo Dolls were punk before breaking big as late 90’s teen-angst radio love pop?

Oh yeah. And with real hardcore bands. Pretty sure they were on the bill with DRI when I saw them in Syracuse.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	hsf1987492.jpeg 
Views:	44 
Size:	190.8 KB 
ID:	358066Name:  hsf1988280.jpeg
Views: 192
Size:  58.2 KB

Wow, I had no idea.

A substantial side benefit of this journey we're all on in this thread is the information you inadvertently stumble upon in here.