Page 181 of 508 FirstFirst ... 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,525 of 12686
    Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Oh..fyi....had a fresh Carvel ice cream cake outta Florida NY for my son's Bday. Got leftovers in the freezer and extra "chocolate crunchies" on the side.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    And Brooklyn's in a panic

was clicking through some old pics and found this one. some of my favorite times in the upstate were visiting Jets camp @ Cortland during the Rex years. Mike Westhoff is an all time fav.

There seems to be something very Upstate about the Jets, maybe even ironically.
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    Edit to add: Most Stewart's Shops at 2:00 - 2:30 am on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. You can see all forms of human life. I'm not talking race, more examples of all forms of socio-enonomic life. This was valid pre pandemic lockdown, haven't been out n about enought to see if this still holds true post lockdown.

yeah.... that's just 'bout the right time frame for the long dried out chili con of unknown carne to reach that ultimate smearing consistency, making it a perfect for matching with a way over cooked mystery meat hot dog that is now roller cooked into oblivion instead of being steamed to hell as a proper Stewart's dog and bun should be!

#bringbackthestewartssteamers

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    There seems to be something very Upstate about the Jets, maybe even ironically.
    See, fir some reason I always associate the Jets with Jersey in my mind.

I always thought the Jets were more of a Long Island team (at least they were when I was growing up), They practiced at Hofstra, Many of them rented houses at Point Lookout, and hung out in bars in East Meadow (Greg Buttles owned a bar that was pretty well know hang out for them and football groupies).

Both the Jets and Giants are NJ teams. The only difference is Jets tend to have more "how you doin'?" fans and blow up dolls at their tailgates.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

The Official Argue About Where Upstate NY Is Thread

There is only one NY team.

If you see more “Allen-Diggs 2020” yard signs than political signs , you are certainly Upstate

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Both the Jets and Giants are NJ teams. The only difference is Jets tend to have more "how you doin'?" fans and blow up dolls at their tailgates.
    Yeah what was I thinking, maybe it’s just nice to not be the laughing stock of the league for once from my position.

Browns-Bills 2021

Giants/Yanks, more fans Jersey based. Jets/Mets, Long Island.

You put a space between Longisland.

Quote Originally Posted by refried View Post
    I always thought the Jets were more of a Long Island team (at least they were when I was growing up), They practiced at Hofstra, Many of them rented houses at Point Lookout, and hung out in bars in East Meadow (Greg Buttles owned a bar that was pretty well know hang out for them and football groupies).
    i think this is still true.

definitely not an upstate team. but that's one reason the Cortland camp was kinda cool.

You put a space between Longisland.
    Not if you’re from there. It’s one word

You get it.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Oh..fyi....had a fresh Carvel ice cream cake outta Florida NY for my son's Bday. Got leftovers in the freezer and extra "chocolate crunchies" on the side.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    We had a Carvel in my hometown. I was never a fan but everyone else loved the ice cream cakes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Shit. It sounds like Erie PA might be upstate?
    It used to be, the old State line was over to Ohio and the Pennsylvania did not have any Lake Erie port access at all that was suitable for loading and unloading boats- just a very small strip near Ohio. It was called the Erie Triangle\ and resolved with purchase from the Indian tribes back in 1792. There is an Old State Rd that was the northern State line at one point. Even MA and CT at one point laid claim to parts- so figure that one out also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erie_Triangle

http://paheritage.wpengine.com/article/old-state-line/

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Not if you’re from there. It’s one word

You get it.
    More like Lon Guyland

And it’s a thin buffer between the Upstate and the raiding hordes from NE Ohio on their way to Chautauqua, Eville and cheap Seneca gas and smokes.

It’s also the last Chick Fil A for like an entire state.
    2 Chick Fil A's now... but the one you speak and the original is closer if just passing through.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobody Famous View Post
    Maybe.

Here's a test using fast food franchises: If when the local McDonald's closes for a remodeling it's front page news in the local rag newspaper (which may print one, two or three times per week). Extra credit if when the local McDonalds reopens after a remodeling the local high school band plays at the reopening there's no doubt you're in upstate.

Local newspaper reports Vehicle Accident in front of or police activity (a.k.a. meth overdose in the restrooms) at a Dunkin Donuts or lesser so Tim Hortons? Yep, you're solidly in upstate.

Edit to add: Most Stewart's Shops at 2:00 - 2:30 am on a Friday, Saturday or Sunday. You can see all forms of human life. I'm not talking race, more examples of all forms of socio-enonomic life. This was valid pre pandemic lockdown, haven't been out n about enought to see if this still holds true post lockdown.
    Many of the McDonalds remodels are done now with only the front customer seating (which in these times of Covid maybe closed anyway) and customer order counter being done. The kitchen and drive thru are still open and can still get your fries and burgers for take out. A few if they are really old will get either torn down and or gutted throughout the building and rebuilt, but more times than not- they end up purchasing a property nearby, build a new restaurant and then do the grand opening while closing the old one and selling it off if it does not fit the newer franchise standards.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyCarter View Post
    More like Lon Guyland
    Close...Lawnguylan

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    It used to be, the old State line was over to Ohio and the Pennsylvania did not have any Lake Erie port access at all that was suitable for loading and unloading boats- just a very small strip near Ohio. It was called the Erie Triangle\ and resolved with purchase from the Indian tribes back in 1792. There is an Old State Rd that was the northern State line at one point. Even MA and CT at one point laid claim to parts- so figure that one out also.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Erie_Triangle

http://paheritage.wpengine.com/article/old-state-line/
    The Western Reserve of Connecticut

Where I grew up. It's why so much of NE Ohio looks like New England (see: Hudson, Chagrin Falls, Hunting Valley, etc.). They didn't know where the western border of CT was so it extended "to the sea", maintaining only the northern and southern boundaries, which encapsulated the entirety of NE Ohio. Moses Cleaveland came from CT and settled what is now Cleveland (duh) and the rest of the Connecticutians brought not just their architecture but other things that still persist strongly to this day like Clam Bakes, a nasally accent, boatbuilding, and a strong affinity for town squares with federalist and greek revival architecture.

**THE MORE YOU KNOW**

Quote Originally Posted by RShea View Post
    2 Chick Fil A's now... but the one you speak and the original is closer if just passing through.
    Two?!? Imma have to check this other one out next winter.

The Western Reserve of Connecticut

Where I grew up. It's why so much of NE Ohio looks like New England (see: Hudson, Chagrin Falls, Hunting Valley, etc.). They didn't know where the western border of CT was so it extended "to the sea", maintaining only the northern and southern boundaries, which encapsulated the entirety of NE Ohio. Moses Cleaveland came from CT and settled what is now Cleveland (duh) and the rest of the Connecticutians brought not just their architecture but other things that still persist strongly to this day like Clam Bakes, a nasally accent, boatbuilding, and a strong affinity for town squares with federalist and greek revival architecture.

**THE MORE YOU KNOW**
    wicked interesting. i used to teach US history back in the day and we'd look at these crazy colonial & early republic maps with NE colony/state lines drawn waaay out west but never dug deep into the backstory.

closer to home, there was a land swap between CT & NY where CT got Greenwich and NY got what's now called Vista - that zigzag in eastern Westchester Co. i think CT got the better deal in the long run.

will stop there as none of this is upstate.

Quote Originally Posted by ntblanks View Post
    wicked interesting. i used to teach US history back in the day and we'd look at these crazy colonial & early republic maps with NE colony/state lines drawn waaay out west but never dug deep into the backstory.

closer to home, there was a land swap between CT & NY where CT got Greenwich and NY got what's now called Vista - that zigzag in eastern Westchester Co. i think CT got the better deal in the long run.

will stop there as none of this is upstate.
    They got Benny too.

So perhaps they didn't get a better deal, is that what you're implying Bmills?

Benny's really taking a lot of shit lately. I don't know if it's warranted.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    We had a Carvel in my hometown. I was never a fan but everyone else loved the ice cream cakes.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Cookie Pus or Fudgie the Whale? I remember those horrible commercials back in the day...

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    So perhaps they didn't get a better deal, is that what you're implying Bmills?

Benny's really taking a lot of shit lately. I don't know if it's warranted.
    I'm not making a valuation call, just merely an observation that CT came away from the deal with Benny.

Personally I think Benny's great here, he tosses it out there as much as he gets it back. That and I love knowing that Eeyore not just a donkey.