Page 65 of 507 FirstFirst ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 ... LastLast
Results 1,601 to 1,625 of 12675
    I finally got to see Frampton last year at Bethel Woods on his farewell tour. That guy tears it up. I should have paid more attention to him over the years.

Norwich has this going for it https://www.classiccarmuseum.org/

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    But the darkness in your soul begins in September.
    Fixed it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Which calls for a shout out for upstate music history cred. Of course, host to the seminal and some will argue the most famous of music festivals, Woodstock, but then host to what some consider the largest gathering of humans in one place in history, (Whoa, doood!) the Summer Jam at Watkins Glen. Dude.
    I saw Van Halen ('82) and The Police ('84) at The Carrier Dome. Rode the 100.3 WAAL Rock Bus to both. Mom made the DJ swear on his life that no harm would come to her 12 year-old son for the VH concert. Remains my favorite concert.

Norwich is an interesting town in that its very affluent for being in the sticks. Chobani is HQ'd there, and a pharmaceutical manufacturer has a large plant there. Good life if you like rural living.
    Charlie, here comes the deuce. And when you speak of me, speak well.

I was hoping to get back there this year, only went through once last year but, my impression as I drove through was it is a much more "involved" town than the others in the region. The infrastructure seemed more significant and there was more traffic and what looked like a real downtown area but I didn't have time to stop and check it out. Next time I will put it at the beginning or end of a travel day.

My twin sister lives in New Hartford (outside of Utica) and loves it. She is a SUNY professor. But the reason why she loves Utica is the immigrant/refugee community. She is on the board of MUCC, and helps people navigate settling in this country. She speaks fluent Thai, Laotian, and Nepali. Most of the workforce for Chobani are from these groups, they are very progressive and forward leaning, and have given many a refugee a toehold for a normal life. Just thought I would share. She found her place.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Anyone else get to this one?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hendrix 32168.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	27.9 KB 
ID:	349726

Lots of deals and steals to be had in Upstate for $150k. Pay the local Amish crews $100k to upgrade and wait for 5g to get there to WFH.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/7...77135143_zpid/
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

My twin sister lives in New Hartford (outside of Utica) and loves it. She is a SUNY professor. But the reason why she loves Utica is the immigrant/refugee community. She is on the board of MUCC, and helps people navigate settling in this country. She speaks fluent Thai, Laotian, and Nepali. Most of the workforce for Chobani are from these groups, they are very progressive and forward leaning, and have given many a refugee a toehold for a normal life. Just thought I would share. She found her place.
    I'm glad you pointed this out. Utica is the melting pot of Upstate and is well know for welcoming immigrants. I'm glad your sister is doing this important work.

Utica has always had great neighborhood italian restaraunts. These days you can find a wide variety of ethnic restaraunts in the Utica. The City of Utica has had serious economic challenges for 40 yrs, but is a community through and through.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    I'm glad you pointed this out. Utica is the melting pot of Upstate and is well know for welcoming immigrants. I'm glad your sister is doing this important work.

Utica has always had great neighborhood italian restaraunts. These days you can find a wide variety of ethnic restaraunts in the Utica. The City of Utica has had serious economic challenges for 40 yrs, but is a community through and through.

Oh, I love to cap on the place, and will continue to ruthlessly do so, but New Hartford/Utica will always have a place in my heart. Biggest professional award I ever received was based on an inspiration I had based on that place. And some of the craziest nights I ever had were there as well.

And then there was this one time that I still remember vividly. I flew in to do a job and borrowed a car for the few days I was there. Was a 1978 Caprice Classic convertible, pale yellow. Red or brown seats I think. Spectacular whale of a car. AM radio only. So I get in the car, driving down the street, and switch on the radio, and just as I turn it on some AM station starts in with P Funk's Up for the Down Stroke.

There I am on a perfect fall day, bright sun, driving this fantastic 70s car with P Funk on the AM station as loud as the stereo would go. Sunglasses on (which rarely happens there as you all know.) That convergence of events, I decided, created a situation where I was just about as cool as anyone could be for the duration of that song. So many things going perfect at once.

And then it was over. Ah well. But that was a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post

Chicken fucking riggies....boom

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post

Lots of deals and steals to be had in Upstate for $150k. Pay the local Amish crews $100k to upgrade and wait for 5g to get there to WFH.

Believe it or not, ROC is a hot real estate market at the moment. Cash and 15% over asking is common.

Tell me about it. Sold our five acre spread in Penfield to a drone pilot in 2012 for 200k asking. Didn't ask enough.
    A few people feel the rain. Most people just get wet.

Chobani was the victim of a nasty internet attack from Alex Jones and his Ilk when they established themselves upstate, what, twenty years ago. The CEO is quite the immigrant success story, and he actively recruited immigrants as employees, smack dab in Republican/conservative upstate farmer culture, with the Amish thrown in. He seems to have survived and is doing well. It's the only item I buy in the supermarket for overt political reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by wooley12 View Post

No. Sign of the cross. I know, tempting. Seductive. Don't.

I asked some workmates up there, locals, if that was a god idea, and every one just recoiled. Bad move. Build new.

Quote Originally Posted by Skidog View Post
    Chicken fucking riggies....boom

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using TGR Forums mobile app
    Utica Greens FTW!

I had some damned fine hot cider and Woodford over the holiday.

Check the label on the cider? Upstate.

Name:	CC39650A-D552-4459-92BE-509E195F5B9C.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	399.0 KB 
ID:	350460
    I still call it The Jake.

The ingredient list is short and to the point.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

Ya, whatever. Better cider in VT. I can see the North Country from my driveway.

Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    Ya, whatever. Better moonshine in VT. I can see the North Country from my driveway.
    Fify

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Fify
    There are pockets of Appalachia all over VT.

wasnt there a thread that discussed New York food regional specialties in depth? I couldnt find it.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

We can be more specific. Geneva is the WNY capital of the Upstate meth network. And, apples duh.

A little meth sure helps the apple picking day go by...

Is that an old Amish saying?

It should be.
    I still call it The Jake.

But if you do meth you can’t eat apples?

Meth and applesauce
    That’s a winning combination
    . . .

Methalsauce.

Could be the manufacturing jolt Upstate needs.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang