Page 14 of 505 FirstFirst ... 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    I had an apartment in Randolph for work (in Basking Ridge) up until a couple of covids ago.

They just repaved 287.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    I had an apartment in Randolph for work (in Basking Ridge) up until a couple of covids ago.
    287 forms a powerful dividing line in North Jersey.

Is Dover still sketchy? That's where we went with 3 days worth of facial hair in high school to buy booze, no fake ID required.

It's our continental divide.

I've got family in Old Tappan, NJ. Should I inform them they're Upstate?
    I still call it The Jake.

Benny runs from the sideline, blows whistle, signals time out. No Jersey! Fifteen yards!

Go back to threatening people in the real estate thread, Benny.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post

Is Dover still sketchy? That's where we went with 3 days worth of facial hair in high school to buy booze, no fake ID required.
    It's kinda like a frontier zone between the black bears to the west and whitetail deer to the east. I've only been to Dover once when I boarded the wrong train home and ended up there, so I can't really give an update.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I've got family in Old Tappan, NJ. Should I inform them they're Upstate?
    They already know. It's like pointing out a mole every time you meet someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Benny runs from the sideline, blows whistle, signals time out. No Jersey! Fifteen yards!
    This had gone 13 pages with no real drift, so a call was made to put in the drift. You're saying too early?

Is that like an offside penalty?

We're gonna need to lay down some ground rules if we're going to be stuck in some kind of canal boat traipsing around parts unknown in the Upstate hinterlands for months on end.

dover is a hispanic working class town. it has great restaurants if you are not afraid of being a minority

Name:  82F5F180-DDB2-4057-BAAC-90AD29C988F6.gif
Views: 271
Size:  67.9 KB

Is that like an offside penalty?

We're gonna need to lay down some ground rules if we're going to be stuck in some kind of canal boat traipsing around parts unknown in the Upstate hinterlands for months on end.
    Look, c'mon, suddenly somebody is talking 287 in Jersey? What's next, Scranton?

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    Name:  82F5F180-DDB2-4057-BAAC-90AD29C988F6.gif
Views: 271
Size:  67.9 KB
    The state has spent a shitload of money on that canal system to attract recreational boaters . I've been told it's a pretty cool trip.

Look, c'mon, suddenly somebody is talking 287 in Jersey? What's next, Scranton?
    Since you asked, both my parents went to University of Scranton for undergrad, and my dad still has family in Wilkes-Barre. My mom had to get evac'd off a chairlift at Elk Mountain during an ice storm and never skied again.

The state has spent a shitload of money on that canal system to attract recreational boaters . I've been told it's a pretty cool trip.

indeed it is... very underutilized. Great way to get away from folks for a while.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E47CA4A5-67CA-4205-B8F2-B9FAA82F8BD2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	620.3 KB 
ID:	333227

I'm not one to geek out on a road and gravel bike rides, but the Canal trail is pretty sweet.
    The ride from Fairport -> U of R, then through downtown ROC, past the waterfalls, and out to Charlotte Pier is an all time favorite.
    The Genesee Canal Trail is also partially built, going south to the Allegheny River.

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    indeed it is... very underutilized. Great way to get away from folks for a while.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E47CA4A5-67CA-4205-B8F2-B9FAA82F8BD2.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	620.3 KB 
ID:	333227
    Whenever I see a photo like that I expect to see Asian carp jumping out of the water behind the boat.

It would be cool to take a boat from Lake Erie to the Hudson River, but much of that trip is through the previously discussed Western Region, and while the access to all the great food and Genny Cream we can handle would be nice, I don’t think it gets us any closer to mapping out Upstate.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Whenever I see a photo like that I expect to see Asian carp jumping out of the water behind the boat.

oh, we gots plenty of carps round here...

Chicago is where we are currently holding the line against the Asian Carp. If they make the jump into Lake Michigan it's game over for the Great Lakes. Then it's only a matter of time before you see them flip and flop their way into every boat trying to make its way from Erie and Ontario into the Upstate canals.

Quote Originally Posted by BC13 View Post
    Absolutely. I grew up with every adult pronouncing it as though it was spelled "eye talian". I stopped correcting my dad 30 yrs ago.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    My father in law, god rest his soul, was Archie Bunker

I talian
    Sarah cuse (is that upstate?)
    Turlet
    Moolinyan
    Pizzer
    Soder

Too bad my mil isn’t named Edith

Nice guy. Give you the shirt of his back. He’d even give his shirt to a moolinyan if he was a worker and not a welfare cheat.
    . . .

Chicago is where we are currently holding the line against the Asian Carp. If they make the jump into Lake Michigan it's game over for the Great Lakes. Then it's only a matter of time before you see them flip and flop their way into every boat trying to make its way from Erie and Ontario into the Upstate canals.
    Great Lakes is toast. First it was alewife
    Zebra mussels really crushed it
    Now it’s too much water.

Bring on the murder silver carp
    . . .

Since you asked, both my parents went to University of Scranton for undergrad, and my dad still has family in Wilkes-Barre. My mom had to get evac'd off a chairlift at Elk Mountain during an ice storm and never skied again.
    Ok, ok, maybe. If you drive up 81 in Pa., the landscape suddenly gets real nice just north of Scranton as you motor to Binghampton. So, maybe we can allow a little bleed into Pa.. But, real borderline, because I thought we determined that 81 was the dividing line of upstate and western NY. We need a consensus on all this.

Ok, ok, maybe. If you drive up 81 in Pa., the landscape suddenly gets real nice just north of Scranton as you motor to Binghampton. So, maybe we can allow a little bleed into Pa.. But, real borderline, because I thought we determined that 81 was the dividing line of upstate and western NY. We need a consensus on all this.
    We did. It is. Next topic.

I step away from this thread for a few minutes and you nutters expanding upstate out of NY??? Fuck that noise. As someone from a neighboring state, you keep that shit right where it belongs!