Page 17 of 508 FirstFirst ... 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 ... LastLast
    Sauerkraut balls?

I’m afraid to google that. Search results might involve testicles and crotchless lederhosen
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by DBdude View Post
    Nobody's Fool written by Russo and made into a movie with Paul Newman

The Russel Banks book Sweet Hereafter was heart breaking and made into a movie
    I love that movie. I saw in it in the early 90’s. One cold night in 2016 I found myself in Ithaca for work and while inside a bar eating, I realized the deja vu I was experiencing was a result of having seen that movie 20 years earlier. Same type of town, bar, people etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I missed this two part mini mini series on HBO based on Empire falls and written by Russo that I'm going to watch right after I finish the Wire marathon. Awesome cast. Ed Harris, Paul Newman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_Falls_(miniseries)

This is as close as he's come to write an autobiography. https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/b...il&login=email A "memior". Explains a lot about his female characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I missed this two part mini mini series on HBO based on Empire falls and written by Russo that I'm going to watch right after I finish the Wire marathon. Awesome cast. Ed Harris, Paul Newman.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_Falls_(miniseries)

This is as close as he's come to write an autobiography. https://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/09/b...il&login=email A "memior". Explains a lot about his female characters.
    I vaguely remember that mini series.
    I have to revisit. What a cast based on the wiki.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    that thing was fucking fast.....

no tree skiing? was legit. that backcountry gate to the cliffy side was a dream too. You could get way over your head over there.

that lodge was so sweet

j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I suppose...but the towns were largely the same; so I don't know how much of a role "level of means" could play.
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Spiedies. I don't think they get all the way upstate though, more kinda central I think.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    I thought we determined that 81 was the dividing line of upstate and western NY. We need a consensus on all this.

Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    We did. It is. Next topic.
    I've got to dissent on this. 81 goes right through the center of Syracuse. I'm quite sure that neither upstate nor western want to lay claim to the city with the most polluted lake in the country. That's why there's a central NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    I've got to dissent on this. 81 goes right through the center of Syracuse. I'm quite sure that neither upstate nor western want to lay claim to the city with the most polluted lake in the country. That's why there's a central NY.
    I think the early consensus was actually that Westchester, NYC and Long Island are downstate. Rockland is either undetermined or in some sort of purgatory and the rest is upstate. If you want to subdivide, that’s cool.

Fucking hell, there’s a central NY now?

AND they have a death lake???
    I still call it The Jake.

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    Spiedies. I don't think they get all the way upstate though, more kinda central I think.
    central is upstate.... and spiedies is damn tasty!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E403123D-9A2D-433C-B308-158AB1D6B829.jpg 
Views:	110 
Size:	641.9 KB 
ID:	333375

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post

yep... we gots our own spot on the fm dial to prove it.

Name:	E24B46F4-EE75-4A77-8A03-DEEDE7277CFF.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	333378

Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    yep... we gots our own spot on the fm dial to prove it.

Name:	E24B46F4-EE75-4A77-8A03-DEEDE7277CFF.jpeg 
Views:	47 
Size:	223.5 KB 
ID:	333378
    If that’s on iHeartRadio or radio.com I’m gonna stream it at the beach this weekend. My usual go-to, The River does a top 500 rock songs of all time every Memorial, Labor and Independence Day Weekend. Makes for good background noise and betting on the top 10. I assume that this naturally follows the same format just with CNYers voting?

TR to follow.
    I still call it The Jake.

Well, I imagine you will hear ads for Fucillo auto mall.
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

The expedition will need much more gin and tonics, make a note.

You're going to need something heartier than a gin and tonic for fall and winter in the North Country.

If this were Maine I'd suggest a couple of shots of Allen's coffee brandy before you set off. And a couple more in your coffee cup.

Quote Originally Posted by glademaster View Post
    You're going to need something heartier than a gin and tonic for fall and winter in the North Country.
    True. But do you think it would take two seasons in their Avant Audi S?

Quote Originally Posted by ötzi View Post
    If this were Maine I'd suggest a couple of shots of Allen's coffee brandy before you set off. And a couple more in your coffee cup.
    Hey, you are part of the expedition. FYI, ‘you’ is you.

Thank you sir. I'm honored to have ingested water from the most polluted lake in the country while sailing in a Laser regatta there in the 70s. Dad kept his Snipe at the Onondaga Lake Yacht Club a couple years, but the other Snipes kicked our butts.

You have to go now. As the local death river expert and all

Quote Originally Posted by muted View Post
    True. But do you think it would take two seasons in their Avant Audi S?
    To do it right, yes, yes it will. You haven't truly plumbed the depths of despair until you've spent some time upstate in late fall or winter, and by doing so you discover the real charm of the region(s).

My great Grandmother used to swim in that lake, before it was polluted by Allied (Onondaga). Great Grandma lived in the Skyline Apartments in Syracuse, she was a fresh off the boat Italian. My grandmothers house was about 3 miles from that Allied plant in Orchard rd. Solvay NY. Both parents grew up in Solvay. Met in high school and married while my dad was in college at Hobart (no not lacrosse dad was a swimmer). I was Geneva born, and then my dad went on to Syracuse for Grad school. Basically extended family went from Ellis Island to that part of NY and never left. Grandpa was one of 13. Lived on a farm, back when you had lots of kids to work the land. My Grandma and Aunt owned a Fish Fry and Bar called the Oakdale.

Im now back in goshen, and I would not refer to it personally as "upstate" but when people ask thats what I say cause like, besides horse race lovers, who the eff knows where Goshen NY is? However I am "upstate" through and through. Friday Fish Fry, pierogies, chicken riggies, Twin Trees pizza, tomato pie, Heids hot dogs, Old Vienna splits, all of it.....

Quote Originally Posted by shakyknees View Post
    Thank you sir. I'm honored to have ingested water from the most polluted lake in the country while sailing in a Laser regatta there in the 70s. Dad kept his Snipe at the Onondaga Lake Yacht Club a couple years, but the other Snipes kicked our butts.
    Man I can't imagine being on that water. It was bad enough driving close to Onondoga, smelled like incredibly foul body odor. Yet another historic native American resource destroyed by the white man.
    https://www.onondaganation.org/land-...onondaga-lake/