Page 165 of 185 FirstFirst ... 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 ... LastLast
Results 4,101 to 4,125 of 4614
  1. #4101
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    GNARvada
    Posts
    3,705
    I haven't climbed Hurricane, but have climbed Owl Head -> Giant, which are across the road. Great views into VT!

  2. #4102
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    The Garden State
    Posts
    3,613
    Hot one in the shop, thankful for the late day showers to break the humidity.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1608.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	241.8 KB 
ID:	376756
    Oh, and make mine a Utica Club…

  3. #4103
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    7,472
    ^^
    living right

  4. #4104
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    24,847
    Do upstate black flies even get fazed by deet?
    I still call it The Jake.

  5. #4105
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,263
    And are they related to midges, or completely different?

  6. #4106
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,263
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    ^^
    living right
    Gracious living in NJ.

  7. #4107
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    7,472
    On this particular trip to Lake Placid I had my two daughters and two of my younger daughter's friends. I shit you not ... a spontaneous upstate debate broke out while in Long Lake where the girls concluded that the ROC is in WESTERN NY. #FKNARIGHT

    The one dissenting voice was my younger daughter and I made her think long and hard about how's she's wrong. She sat in this spot for a good hour contemplating the error of her ways.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 8.02.25 AM.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	529.2 KB 
ID:	376797

  8. #4108
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Vermont
    Posts
    993
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Do upstate black flies even get fazed by deet?
    Only thing I’ve found that works is Ole Time Woodsman. Smells so bad it keeps everything away. Maine product but used to buy it upstate, before the internets.

  9. #4109
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    3,983

  10. #4110
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    47,702
    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    On this particular trip to Lake Placid I had my two daughters and two of my younger daughter's friends. I shit you not ... a spontaneous upstate debate broke out while in Long Lake where the girls concluded that the ROC is in WESTERN NY. #FKNARIGHT

    The one dissenting voice was my younger daughter and I made her think long and hard about how's she's wrong. She sat in this spot for a good hour contemplating the error of her ways.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 8.02.25 AM.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	529.2 KB 
ID:	376797
    What insect repellent did she use?

    Damn nice scenery.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  11. #4111
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    GNARvada
    Posts
    3,705
    Looks like Giant's Washbowl area, looking towards Great Range? Good spot. Giant is one of my favorite 46ers.
    WNY isn't ROC though, good try. Finger Lakes!

  12. #4112
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Upstate
    Posts
    7,472
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    Looks like Giant's Washbowl? Good spot. Giant is one of my favorite 46ers.
    WNY isn't ROC though, good try.
    Sure is! That pic is looking south from the Hurricane peak. I've heard Giant is a pretty stout climb. 3K gain in roughly 2.5 miles.

  13. #4113
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    GNARvada
    Posts
    3,705
    Giant is a tough one from the Keene side. The 9N side is much longer, but it's a more manageable climb. I recommend the lean to overnight!

  14. #4114
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    24,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    And are they related to midges, or completely different?
    Completely different. Midges are like Canadians, they aren't there to hurt you, they come from Lake Erie, and Joba Chamberlain can't stand them.

    Quote Originally Posted by huckbucket View Post
    On this particular trip to Lake Placid I had my two daughters and two of my younger daughter's friends. I shit you not ... a spontaneous upstate debate broke out while in Long Lake where the girls concluded that the ROC is in WESTERN NY. #FKNARIGHT

    The one dissenting voice was my younger daughter and I made her think long and hard about how's she's wrong. She sat in this spot for a good hour contemplating the error of her ways.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-06-10 at 8.02.25 AM.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	529.2 KB 
ID:	376797
    LOL at the unprovoked Upstate debate.

    Killer view from up there, love the storms hitting the peaks in the distance.
    I still call it The Jake.

  15. #4115
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Southeast New York
    Posts
    8,564
    Haha that's some funny shit. Tell her that I agree with her

    Did we talk about this place? https://www.stormskiing.com/p/podcas...8ZCs18bUu7jh_w It looks like fun. Middle of fucking nowhere though...

  16. #4116
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    GNARvada
    Posts
    3,705
    My brother is a Paul Smiths grad, they would head to Titus far more than Whiteface, always said it was a great scene.
    Cheap tickets for booze fueled PM adventures!

  17. #4117
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    14,606
    Quote Originally Posted by hatchgreenchile View Post
    My brother is a Paul Smiths grad, they would head to Titus far more than Whiteface, always said it was a great scene.
    Cheap tickets for booze fueled PM adventures!
    What's crazy is that I know a few families from Franklin County, VERMONT that had season passes at Titus and would commute. They were 30+/- mins from Jay Peak AND Smuggs. Crazy.

  18. #4118
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    Big in Japan
    Posts
    47,702
    Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Completely different. Midges are like Canadians, they aren't there to hurt you, they come from Lake Erie, and Joba Chamberlain can't stand them.



    LOL at the unprovoked Upstate debate.

    Killer view from up there, love the storms hitting the peaks in the distance.

    Yeah, but, if you see lightning over, you know, there, even if that peak is twenty miles away, than you can consider yourself a lightning rod above tree line like that.

    The world is perfect. Appreciate the details.

  19. #4119
    Join Date
    Jan 2017
    Location
    on the banks of Fish Creek
    Posts
    3,983
    Quote Originally Posted by riser3 View Post
    What's crazy is that I know a few families from Franklin County, VERMONT that had season passes at Titus and would commute. They were 30+/- mins from Jay Peak AND Smuggs. Crazy.

    If you’ve got a young family, Titus is a much better choice than those other two. Much cheaper by far, and nowheres near the crowds. Miles and miles of long green runs for the little ones that you really can’t get at the bigger places.

  20. #4120
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    13,263
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yeah, but, if you see lightning over, you know, there, even if that peak is twenty miles away, than you can consider yourself a lightning rod above tree line like that.
    If you feel the hair on your arms suddenly stand up, it's a sign from the heavens your time is short.
    "timberridge is terminally vapid" -- a fortune cookie in Yueyang

  21. #4121
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    2 hours to Whiteface
    Posts
    399
    Quote Originally Posted by Flounder View Post
    Only thing I’ve found that works is Ole Time Woodsman. Smells so bad it keeps everything away. Maine product but used to buy it upstate, before the internets.
    Bye bye black fly works well.

    Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

  22. #4122
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    General Sherman's Favorite City
    Posts
    24,847
    Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    Yeah, but, if you see lightning over, you know, there, even if that peak is twenty miles away, than you can consider yourself a lightning rod above tree line like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    If you feel the hair on your arms suddenly stand up, it's a sign from the heavens your time is short.
    Truth. I told the story here somewhere a long time ago, but I've been indirectly hit by lightning on Norris Lake on the bluest of blue sky days when the sound of thunder was so faint in the distance it could have been mistook for a mosquito fart.

    Ever since then I've tried to be pretty mindful of when we're in the danger zone. I can recall basically running down a mountain last summer on the AT when black clouds and thunder claps set in around us on a bald peak in all directions. No thanks.
    I still call it The Jake.

  23. #4123
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Location
    I smell poutine!!!
    Posts
    14,606
    Quote Originally Posted by m2711c View Post
    If you’ve got a young family, Titus is a much better choice than those other two. Much cheaper by far, and nowheres near the crowds. Miles and miles of long green runs for the little ones that you really can’t get at the bigger places.
    That's quitter talk! Plus Titus is a hell of a commute that I'd rather not pay for. Of course I believe they also mentioned night skiing and tubing.

  24. #4124
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Location
    Dystopia
    Posts
    13,696
    I thought adk black flies were actually midges.

    Evil fucking bugs. I grew up having house flies bight the fuck out of you on low pressure storm fronts.
    And horseflies. And deer flies. On any day.

    But adk? Wtf. No pain. No bite. Just blood dripping from your arm. Fuck those evil satans spawn shit bugs. Fuuucckk
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.”
    Hunter S. Thompson

  25. #4125
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    15,182
    Ticks with wings.
    Is it radix panax notoginseng? - splat

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •